vive la republique - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

vive la republique

So, if we got rid off the monarchy who would you like to have as President of Scotland?

I used to set this as a homework for kids in England. Rather depressingly the most popular answer at the time was David Beckham, which nearly led me to reconsider my republican views!

I'd like to see someone like Tom Devine stand as an independent candidate and get elected to be our President.

Another question is what kind of president do we want ? I'd prefer us to be a parliamentary republic with a Prime Minister running the country day-to-day and a President undertaking largely symbolic, ceremonial duties and representing us abroad.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

So, if we got rid off the monarchy who would you like to have as President of Scotland?

I used to set this as a homework for kids in England. Rather depressingly the most popular answer at the time was David Beckham, which nearly led me to reconsider my republican views!

I'm surprised you didn't get sacked for even suggesting it. 🤣

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

What do you mean by President? I would want us to do away with the whole system of monarchy and stick with an elected government. 

34 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

What do you mean by President? I would want us to do away with the whole system of monarchy and stick with an elected government. 

There are two basic forms of republican government, presidential and parliamentary, in both cases the president is elected.

In a Presidential republic, the President is the head of state and runs the government, e.g. the USA or France.  In this model there needs to be a proper separation of powers to stop the president have unrestricted powers,eg, in the US, the constitution defines the mechanism whereby Congress can remove the president. 

In a parliamentary republic, the President is largely a ceremonial figure and has no stake in the day to day government, which is run by a PM and government.  That’s more akin to what we have now with a constitutional monarchy.  The President generally has the power to remove the PM if it’s necessary to do so.

Professor Alfie Baird. In 2020, Alf published a research-based academic textbook on the subject of Scottish independence: 'Doun-Hauden: The Socio-Political Determinants of Scottish Independence. 

Alfie Baird says we need to go down a United Nations Route to Independence via the decolonisation committee. 

He knows what it means to be Scottish. In a democratic Republic. Once Scotland has a referendum on Independence and reclaims the £12 billion worth of Crown Estates stolen by the Queen's ancestors. And given away by Nicola Sturgeon. We will have a campaign to choose our first ever president on the television. I vote for him. 

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

On 6/5/2022 at 8:30 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd like to see someone like Tom Devine stand as an independent candidate and get elected to be our President.

Another question is what kind of president do we want ? I'd prefer us to be a parliamentary republic with a Prime Minister running the country day-to-day and a President undertaking largely symbolic, ceremonial duties and representing us abroad.

I read this 3 times before I realised you said "parliamentary" and not "paramilitary"!! 

On 6/5/2022 at 8:30 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

I deliberately left that one open, obviously a big difference between the role of the president in somewhere like the USA or France compared to more of a figurehead who represents the nation. I would also be in favour of your suggestion for the role as largely symbolic.

Tom Devine would be good shout. He's famous well celebrated Scottish historian. He knows what it means to be Scottish. He'd be well into his 80s though. A well read guy.

Better than my professor Alfie Baird suggestion. Wrote the book on Decolonisation!

Who else could do it? Salmond unfortunately is despised by the wider public for his strident debating style and the false allegations

Stuart Campbell Wings Over Scotland? He'd be good at keeping the leaders acccoubtable.

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

It is quite tricky.  You'd want someone who had a bit of charisma and charm, someone most of the nation could support,  someone who was respected across political divides.  I'm sure we could come up with someone,  I just can't think of a candidate at the minute! Ireland has had both former politicians and academics serve as president in recent years. 

21 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It is quite tricky.  You'd want someone who had a bit of charisma and charm, someone most of the nation could support,  someone who was respected across political divides.  I'm sure we could come up with someone,  I just can't think of a candidate at the minute! Ireland has had both former politicians and academics serve as president in recent years. 

Mary McAleese is very much the outlier in the list of Irish Presidents,  the twister De Valera was President for 14 years. 

18 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Who would be the President of Scotland? 

Im going for Nicole Sturgeon, with a Prime Minister of Mhairi Black.

Think there's enough there to piss off people across the entire board. 

What about Peter Murrell as President with Nicola as FM.

15 minutes ago, aaid said:

What about Peter Murrell as President with Nicola as FM.

Thought about that, but two mad woke lesbians would surely top it. 

We could harness the rage, the best renewable energy known to man.

Depends on circumstances of when and how the republic is won.

I think Lesley Riddoch could have worked, if indy won in 2014, and first presidential elections were a year or two ago. But I suspect some of the more seasoned campaigners may be a bit off the pace by the time that would happen, unless it really needs a steadying 'old hand'.

Ideally someone with international profile.  For an nation at ease with itself, maybe someone who was originally a No voter - maybe a quiet/reluctant No voter, who converted, rather than a diehard 'nationalist'. They would symbolise the swing to indy.

Not sure who that would be - Ewan McGregor, OBE, who could be 60+ and an elder statesman by the time it happens?

Or how about Sir Andrew Murray, who could symbolise global outlook, a British standard-bearer, and family ties with England, but political independence?

Edited by exile

16 hours ago, exile said:

Depends on circumstances of when and how the republic is won.

I think Lesley Riddoch could have worked, if indy won in 2014, and first presidential elections were a year or two ago. But I suspect some of the more seasoned campaigners may be a bit off the pace by the time that would happen, unless it really needs a steadying 'old hand'.

Ideally someone with international profile.  For an nation at ease with itself, maybe someone who was originally a No voter - maybe a quiet/reluctant No voter, who converted, rather than a diehard 'nationalist'. They would symbolise the swing to indy.

Not sure who that would be - Ewan McGregor, OBE, who could be 60+ and an elder statesman by the time it happens?

Or how about Sir Andrew Murray, who could symbolise global outlook, a British standard-bearer, and family ties with England, but political independence?

In my view, one of the most important things a President should be able to do is give speeches that don't make the listeners fall asleep.

13 hours ago, Orraloon said:

In my view, one of the most important things a President should be able to do is give speeches that don't make the listeners fall asleep.

OK then, how about Harry and Megan? Inclusive New Scots, the Unionists can vote 'em in, they get a Windsor Saxe Coburg head of state, what's not to like?