To Her Majesty - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No.

The Stuarts brought but nothing but woe and misery to Scotland. The men who rallied to their cause and were killed in battle died for absolutely nothing.

Couldn’t agree more, I like my history however there is an argument there

17 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Scotlands rightful king? 

61485F24-F34B-40FB-9DCC-0A9B500C9FB3.jpeg

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No.

The Stuarts brought but nothing but woe and misery to Scotland. The men who rallied to their cause and were killed in battle died for absolutely nothing.

Agreed, Lizzie is as much a descendant of the Stuarts as that guy, be as well keeping keeping the present lot if we're not going to be a republic. 

Folk waving at a hologram in a golden carriage whilst their bills go through the fucking roof at home. If this was happening in Johnyforeignistan they'd be ripping the piss out of the stupid bastards partaking but genuinely think other countries are envious of this bollocks.

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Folk waving at a hologram in a golden carriage whilst their bills go through the fucking roof at home. If this was happening in Johnyforeignistan they'd be ripping the piss out of the stupid bastards partaking but genuinely think other countries are envious of this bollocks.

That £0.50 per person cost eh for all this.  Net gains PP with VAT & Tax will be £4...

Sounds like a money spinner.  

10 minutes ago, Debian said:

That £0.50 per person cost eh for all this.  Net gains PP with VAT & Tax will be £4...

Sounds like a money spinner.  

Each to their own mate but 30m watched the coronation, 28m Diana's wedding, 25m England v Colombia go to penalties, 18m Harry, 18m Andrew wedding and Peak figures for the 'Platty Joobs' was 12m which makes it just about more popularthan last year's Strictly final. 

Regardless of leanings the monarchy is in trouble if it is to remain a going concern emotionally and fiscally.

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Each to their own mate but 30m watched the coronation, 28m Diana's wedding, 25m England v Colombia go to penalties, 18m Harry, 18m Andrew wedding and Peak figures for the 'Platty Joobs' was 12m which makes it just about more popularthan last year's Strictly final. 

Regardless of leanings the monarchy is in trouble if it is to remain a going concern emotionally and fiscally.

The Monarchy will be gone soon, hopefully.  

9 hours ago, slasher said:

This weekend has fairly shone a light on how fucked up this country is. I actually think a sizeable number of the English population are clinically insane 😂

The TV and social media coverage would definitely make us think this but I have been quite surprised/shocked at the reaction of most people I know down here. Not a single person I spoke to gives a shit about the royals, for most it was an event to bring their kids and a day off work. 

The mutants at Buckingham Palace were definitely clinically insane.🤣🤣

Don't think Patrick Gathara was much for it:

Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: A collective misremembering of empire | Opinions | Al Jazeera

A large part of the international media seemed to obsess over the reactions of four-year-old Prince Louis to the Royal Air Force (RAF) flypast, his facial expressions drawing “howls of delight and amusement from the watching crowd”. In November 1953, nearly two years into Elizabeth’s reign, my father would have been about the same age as Prince Louis. I doubt many journalists would spend any time imagining his reactions over the next 20 months as RAF planes flew over the concentration camps into which the British had forced 1.5 million people and dropped nearly six million bombs on Kenyans demanding their land and freedom. I imagine they would have been very different.

Im no sure that can be blamed on The Royal Family

The last King that tried to interfere with Parliament got his head chopped off

44 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think it’s what’s known in the trade as whataboutery.   BTW, the Typhoons went right over my house afterwards, they were very low and very loud.  I was watching the Wire and nearly shat myself when the first flight went over. 

Edited by aaid

25 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think it’s what’s known in the trade as whataboutery. 

There is no doubt they are and were the figurehead of the British Empire but i doubt in 1953 they were influencing foreign policy

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

In fairness he acknowledges it and argues though in the penultimate paragraph that although they're ceremonial the inability to deal with the historical grievance of Kenya in particular illustrates either cowardice ethically or quietly complicit on the benefits reaped.

Thought the Jekyll and Hyde comparison was an interesting lense he was viewing it through although arguably naive- not sure all those celebrating the Jekyll pomp give that much of a shit of the Hyde side that helped garner it.