v Armenia - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

v Armenia

supersub

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think hes making a bit of a mistake, if he does well at hibs then we might need him. We dont have much else coming through and gordon could retire any time in the near future leaving us with a gap to fill.

I imagine he fancied being part of our World Cup squad if we had qualified and planned to retire after that. He’s not a youngster anymore so probably feels he could prolong his playing career by retiring from internationals in the same way McGregor has done. 

He may well be open to coming out of retirement for a one off squad if we have an injury crisis in that area but the truth is we need to get used to the idea of Gordon retiring as well as that’s not too far away either. 

Clarke really needs to start thinking about who his next number 1 is going to be as he’ll need to make a decision sooner rather than later. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I imagine he fancied being part of our World Cup squad if we had qualified and planned to retire after that. He’s not a youngster anymore so probably feels he could prolong his playing career by retiring from internationals in the same way McGregor has done. 

He may well be open to coming out of retirement for a one off squad if we have an injury crisis in that area but the truth is we need to get used to the idea of Gordon retiring as well as that’s not too far away either. 

Clarke really needs to start thinking about who his next number 1 is going to be as he’ll need to make a decision sooner rather than later. 

He has said the main reason is he recognises the need for the younger goalkeepers to get their chance ie Kelly and Clark.

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We are now extremely close to that dreaded moment where we don't have McGregor, Marshall or Gordon available. What a golden generation of goalkeepers that was/is. Can we have a golden generation of strikers next, please!

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think the agreement is that two or three of the games are also shown on terrestrial TV.

I was hoping to go to the pub to watch the game on Saturday but not many pubs have Premier Sports

2 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Can’t wait for this.

It’s a very big game. Win this and we have a massive chance to move to Group A in the nations league. Unthinkable when the tournament was born and a very likely playoff place for euro 2024 minimum. 

👍 Me neither!

15 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Thought it was bad enough us being on sky all the time and England fans getting ITV or now channel 4, but to hell with having to add on Premier Sports as well.

Yeah I'm a bit the same - was tempted to pay for the month at £15 then realised the Euro qualifiers are on too.

I'm getting pissed off having to have 2,3,4,5 subscriptions to watch the same sh!t I got on one before the customer 'benefited' from the end of the monopolisation.  

27 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Thought it was bad enough us being on sky all the time and England fans getting ITV or now channel 4, but to hell with having to add on Premier Sports as well.

8 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Yeah I'm a bit the same - was tempted to pay for the month at £15 then realised the Euro qualifiers are on too.

I'm getting pissed off having to have 2,3,4,5 subscriptions to watch the same sh!t I got on one before the customer 'benefited' from the end of the monopolisation.  

IPTV has them all but I like to go out for a pint to watch the games sometimes. with Sky, BT or any council TV channel I can do that but with Premier sports its not possible

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its brought relative success so why not.

To a point and when we have had Tierney available.

I find it too much a coincedence the formation has not worked with Tierney out. Two big matches spring to mind - Czech Republic at the Euros and last Wednesday.

This was a perfect chance to try something different and prove we are flexible. Sticking rigidly to 3-5-2 makes us far easier to formulate a plan against.

I like the selection & hope if we play well & get a 2 up he brings on a Patterson & a good few of the uncapped lads on. 

World Cup is gone, i like Clarke as a person but reality is he is a reactive rather than a proactive coach & it's costing us but let's move on, do well in this Nations league, qualify for the next Euros & hopefully some of our potentially top class youngsters fulfill their potential & we make the much more appealing 2026 WC💪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I agree this is a typically uninspiring line-up from Clarke with negative back 3 for must-win home match. Not only does he seem unwilling or unable to learn from his mistakes, his reluctance to accept criticism smacks of not believing he even makes mistakes! Adams is not a target man, and I would have preferred Stewart up front. Hopefully the likes of Patterson and Stewart may come on from the bench, though Clarke's substitutions are token gestures made far too late. Nevertheless I hope all those selected play well. After the disappointment of Ukraine I expect a response from the players, and predict a scraped jammy win. Ireland are no great shakes, but we will need a more enterprising line-up to beat them away. Patterson is a must against Ireland.

Unbelievable the criticism clarke is getting. Of course hes sticking with the formation that has brought him success. Why tear up a formula that works the majority of the time. Also its not the formation that cost us against ukraine. Players were poor and never turned up.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Unbelievable the criticism clarke is getting. Of course hes sticking with the formation that has brought him success. Why tear up a formula that works the majority of the time. Also its not the formation that cost us against ukraine. Players were poor and never turned up.

Lol The formation clearly cost us in addition to the players playing poorly.

The formation was very obviously not working early on against Ukraine.