Nations League - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League

EddardStark

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I think that Ireland's draw last night is a good result for Scotland (time will tell on this), it probably means that Armenia will finish bottom of the group (unless Armenia can do something in Dublin). If Armenia do finish bottom, it could have a big impact on deciding best runner up for Pot 2 status. If they decide to deal with the Russia situation by discounting the results in the "4 team groups" against the bottom placed team, then we are currently on zero points as far as best runner up is concerned.

As things stand Serbia are on 3 points, Iceland are on 3 points, and Montenegro have 1. So we have a bit of catching up to do. There is a good chance that in order to catch the best runner up we would need enough points top actually win our group. If that makes sense? So what we need to aim for is to win our next two home games then we probably need to get at point away to Ukraine. Or we might be hoping for Armenia to take a point off Ireland in Dublin.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Whilst I think that Ireland's draw last night is a good result for Scotland (time will tell on this), it probably means that Armenia will finish bottom of the group (unless Armenia can do something in Dublin). If Armenia do finish bottom, it could have a big impact on deciding best runner up for Pot 2 status. If they decide to deal with the Russia situation by discounting the results in the "4 team groups" against the bottom placed team, then we are currently on zero points as far as best runner up is concerned.

As things stand Serbia are on 3 points, Iceland are on 3 points, and Montenegro have 1. So we have a bit of catching up to do. There is a good chance that in order to catch the best runner up we would need enough points top actually win our group. If that makes sense? So what we need to aim for is to win our next two home games then we probably need to get at point away to Ukraine. Or we might be hoping for Armenia to take a point off Ireland in Dublin.

I had never thought of the Russia situation with that, was thinking last night that 2 home wins probably leaves us in a good place for best 2nd place, if at worst we loose away to Ukraine, as obviously the best 2nd placed team will be pot 2 for the main qualifiers. 

How would Russia being allowed back in affect it (unlikely I know)? I know their games wont be played but would imagine they would slot in as the worst League B side and get relegated.

5 hours ago, bossman4 said:

I had never thought of the Russia situation with that, was thinking last night that 2 home wins probably leaves us in a good place for best 2nd place, if at worst we loose away to Ukraine, as obviously the best 2nd placed team will be pot 2 for the main qualifiers. 

How would Russia being allowed back in affect it (unlikely I know)? I know their games wont be played but would imagine they would slot in as the worst League B side and get relegated.

I don't think Russia will be back in before the Euro 2024 draw unless they have won World War 3, in which case we would have a lot more to worry about than a few games of football. 😂

Russia will be relegated to League C, along with the 3 bottom placed teams in each other group. If they were in the draw, (I don't think they will be) they would be ranked 16th in League B. That would make them the top ranked team in Pot 4. 

Pot 1 will be the 10 top ranked teams in League A.

Pot 2 will be the other 5 teams from League A, plus the four League B group winners, plus the best placed 2nd team. 

Pot 3 will be all the other League B team except Russia. 

As far as I can see they haven't actually announced yet how they will decide on who is the best League B runner up. The Russia situation messed that up, as there are now effectively only 3 teams in League B group 2. They could just award each team two 3-0 victories over Russia. Or, they could use the other method of discounting the scores in the other three Groups against the bottom place teams. I think they are more likely to use the second method, but who knows?

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think Russia will be back in before the Euro 2024 draw unless they have won World War 3, in which case we would have a lot more to worry about than a few games of football. 😂

Russia will be relegated to League C, along with the 3 bottom placed teams in each other group. If they were in the draw, (I don't think they will be) they would be ranked 16th in League B. That would make them the top ranked team in Pot 4. 

Pot 1 will be the 10 top ranked teams in League A.

Pot 2 will be the other 5 teams from League A, plus the four League B group winners, plus the best placed 2nd team. 

Pot 3 will be all the other League B team except Russia. 

As far as I can see they haven't actually announced yet how they will decide on who is the best League B runner up. The Russia situation messed that up, as there are now effectively only 3 teams in League B group 2. They could just award each team two 3-0 victories over Russia. Or, they could use the other method of discounting the scores in the other three Groups against the bottom place teams. I think they are more likely to use the second method, but who knows?

I think removing the results against the fourth-placed team is the only way of doing it, as you could argue those teams wouldn't have actually beaten Russia 3-0 home and away - so they'd be getting an unfair advantage (beyond the advantage of removing the team most likely to win the group).

I highly doubt Russia will be involved in Euro 2024 in any capacity, so we won't have to worry about getting them as our Pot 4 opponents.

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Only thing we've learned this extended international break is that we're better than Armenia.

Enjoyed England getting horsed, but.

Did you genuinely think that after 10 minutes yesterday? 

15 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think removing the results against the fourth-placed team is the only way of doing it, as you could argue those teams wouldn't have actually beaten Russia 3-0 home and away - so they'd be getting an unfair advantage (beyond the advantage of removing the team most likely to win the group).

I highly doubt Russia will be involved in Euro 2024 in any capacity, so we won't have to worry about getting them as our Pot 4 opponents.

They could calculate each runner up team's average points per game rather than remove the results against the relegated team, which would be a bit unfair in such small groups.