Nations League - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League

EddardStark

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Armenia away game will be easier than you think. They will have played a few games by then and will be tiered. The ROI game will be the 1 we need to get the team formation and attitude right. Thankfully we have Wednesday game to sort the confidence. I'm hoping for 3 wins but then again I thought we would turn up last week.

31 minutes ago, stitch said:

I think the Armenia away game will be easier than you think. They will have played a few games by then and will be tiered. The ROI game will be the 1 we need to get the team formation and attitude right. Thankfully we have Wednesday game to sort the confidence. I'm hoping for 3 wins but then again I thought we would turn up last week.

It could go two ways.

With the right attitude and performance and with the spirit and bottle we showed in the second half of our World Cup qualifying campaign (up until Ukraine match) then we will be fine. However, the attitude we showed at the end of the last Nations League and lack of organisation and performance against Ukraine and we will be in trouble. It is up to Clarke to get them in the right frame of mind.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:43 PM, stitch said:

Armenia away smacks of Kazakhstan away in the baking heat. Having said that we beat Moldova away but you’d expect Armenia to be a good bit better than them though 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Armenia away smacks of Kazakhstan away in the baking heat. Having said that we beat Moldova away but you’d expect Armenia to be a good bit better than them though 

Kazakhstan away was an absolute farce. I doubt we’d lose there if we played them now (although I wouldn’t put my mortgage on it). 

We won’t get it easy in Armenia though. If Ireland can lose there so can we. I’d happily take 4 points off every team in the group right now although 6 off Armenia would be lovely. 

30 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I'd say it's probably closer to Israel away than Kazakhstan - in terms of team ability. Moldova are complete mince at the moment - in Nations League D with Lativa, Andorra and Liechtenstein - worse than Malta or the Faroes in the Elo rankings.

Either way, it's the sort of game we've typically struggled with: Georgia, Israel, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Lithuania and Macedonia are all sides we were good enough to beat on paper, but lost points to away from home at some point. At least the game is at night over there, as their climate at this time of the year would be a huge leveller.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Let's just beat them at home first. Would be a good start.

Indeed. If we struggle on Wednesday night we’ve virtually no chance of winning over there. Let’s hope for a good performance and a comfortable night which would be something to build on. 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'd take a squeaky as fuck 1-0 now in a shot

People on here always say this sort of thing but if it actually happens, against weak opposition, they then tear the team a new one!

6 minutes ago, todd said:

People on here always say this sort of thing but if it actually happens, against weak opposition, they then tear the team a new one!

I wouldn't - after the Ukraine performance any win would be a good turnaround particularly mentally. We were bloody terrible after qualifying for the euros 

However I don't really understand why they have to be mutually exclusive positions - surely you can be happy at three points whilst simultaneously pointing out need for improvement?

Does anyone know how the rankings in the nations league will work with the teams in Russia’s group playing 2 games less? 

I understand the best 2nd place team will qualify from the B section and I think if we don’t win our group we will be in with a good shout at best 2nd place. Ukraines win in Ireland was good because it takes Ireland out of contention but puts Ukraine in a strong position and means we need to win there on Saturday if we want to win the group, in my opinion. 

if we don’t win the group I think we have a great shot at best 2nd spot because our group has Armenia and we really should be taking 6 points from they two games, whereas all the other groups look very competitive. 

1 hour ago, Ak91 said:

Does anyone know how the rankings in the nations league will work with the teams in Russia’s group playing 2 games less? 

I understand the best 2nd place team will qualify from the B section and I think if we don’t win our group we will be in with a good shout at best 2nd place. Ukraines win in Ireland was good because it takes Ireland out of contention but puts Ukraine in a strong position and means we need to win there on Saturday if we want to win the group, in my opinion. 

if we don’t win the group I think we have a great shot at best 2nd spot because our group has Armenia and we really should be taking 6 points from they two games, whereas all the other groups look very competitive. 

The first factor in the rankings is the final position - so all group winners will be ranked above all second placed teams, etc.

For the points, I assume for those finishing first, second or third, it will only consider matches against the top three - most likely us, Ukraine and the best of Armenia or Ireland.

I reckon winning twice against the third placed side and getting a point from either Ukraine game should be enough to become the best second placed team; the other groups look much more open on paper than ours right now.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

The first factor in the rankings is the final position - so all group winners will be ranked above all second placed teams, etc.

For the points, I assume for those finishing first, second or third, it will only consider matches against the top three - most likely us, Ukraine and the best of Armenia or Ireland.

I reckon winning twice against the third placed side and getting a point from either Ukraine game should be enough to become the best second placed team; the other groups look much more open on paper than ours right now.

I think you’re right in regards to how the 2 placed rankings will be determined. If we beat Armenia away then they somehow manage to finish ahead of Ireland we could be in strong position like you say. 

3 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

That would make sense but that probably means EUFA will do something different. 🤣

I don't think they have announced anything for definite yet, as far as I can see?

Results have went our way in terms of challenging for best 2nd placed spot. Think 11 points may be enough for us to achieve that. 

wins v Armenia and Ireland are a must and see what we get off Ukraine.