Nations League - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League

EddardStark

The squad are go to have to pick themselves up very quickly. You wonder if this is possible as some of the players are running on empty.

My guess is the Nations League is our best route to the Euros in 2024 in Germany.  It would be terrible for the fans to miss out on that experience. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I would be happy if this tournament was scrapped altogether.  There ar3 too many international games.  I’d rather have the British home international championship back on a rolling four years.

Not for me. I personally hate friendlies and I think familiarity breeds contempt re the Home Internationals. I like the concept of the Nations League. 

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

If we can finish 2nd in our group again we will qualify so have to hope for a good draw there.

I agree the Nations League offers an important back door route though and these games need to be won.

The nations league rankings will determine which pot we are in, I think we need to win the group to be second seeds but I'm not 100% sure about that.

The NL is hugely important for our chances of making the Euros. I think by virtue of being a League B team we should have a really good chance of getting a playoff already, but we should be looking to get as good a seeding for the qualifying as possible.

33 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Would anyone care to explain the  qualification path from  the Nations League  to Euro 2024?. It appears to differ from the last one and I’m struggling to understand it. 

I'm not sure I see much different.   Not for us in league B anyway.

Win our group and we play-off vs the other 3 'B' winners.   If any of us qualifies via the normal Euro 2024 qualifiers, then they are replaced by the next best team in B.

If  there are less than 4 B teams unqualified, then things may start to differ.

Also,

If we are not one of the best 4 in B, there is still another chance against league A teams if they have fewer than 4 normal qualifiers.

Edited by Grim Jim
+2nd chance.

27 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Would anyone care to explain the  qualification path from  the Nations League  to Euro 2024?. It appears to differ from the last one and I’m struggling to understand it. 

The only real difference is Germany qualify as hosts, so there are 23 rather than 24 slots available. 

Top two in the ten groups qualify automatically. 

Nations League play offs for Leagues A, B and C will be the same format as last time (but hopefully with fans in the stadiums!).

There will be no League D play off this time round.

This is going to be very anticlimactic now.

Ca't see it being a big crowd for Armenia unless they put the tickets included in yesterday's game.

I know it was the key to last qualification but should be aiming for top 2 in the euros group regardless.

If not time's up for Clarke.

Would like to see Stewart get a run of starts upfront in this and hopefully he can chip in with some goals.

28 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

This is going to be very anticlimactic now.

Ca't see it being a big crowd for Armenia unless they put the tickets included in yesterday's game.

I know it was the key to last qualification but should be aiming for top 2 in the euros group regardless.

If not time's up for Clarke.

Would like to see Stewart get a run of starts upfront in this and hopefully he can chip in with some goals.

The players AND fans need to rule it out becoming anti-climactic as these matches are huge in the long run. We need results straight away in order to put us in prime position to get a play-off spot via the Nations League AND to perhaps propel us up into Pot 2 for the Euro Qualifying draw.

The players, I'd like to think, are angry right now and hopefully they can channel that into playing with a new hunger and passion for positive results.

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

If we win our Nations League group we get a playoff spot for Euro 2024. Same system as last time with single leg semi final and final. We could get a playoff spot by finishing 2nd in our Nations League group but let's just win the group and keep it simple for a change. 😂

35 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The players AND fans need to rule it out becoming anti-climactic as these matches are huge in the long run. We need results straight away in order to put us in prime position to get a play-off spot via the Nations League AND to perhaps propel us up into Pot 2 for the Euro Qualifying draw.

The players, I'd like to think, are angry right now and hopefully they can channel that into playing with a new hunger and passion for positive results.

Trouble is you look at Robertson last night. Could barely move last 20 minutes so all the games caught up with him in the end. Not sure starting him every 3 days in June is worth it especially with a smaller prize in play.

Shame Tierney isn't around otherwise could actually play him in that position for once. Or perhaps shift Hickey over to left and see if he can make more of an impact.

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If we win our Nations League group we get a playoff spot for Euro 2024. Same system as last time with single leg semi final and final. We could get a playoff spot by finishing 2nd in our Nations League group but let's just win the group and keep it simple for a change. 😂

Can get play off spot for finishing 3rd in actual euros group though. And 2nd place means no play off required.

To go from 2nd to 4th would be poor and Clarke wouldn't keep his job in that scenario.

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Trouble is you look at Robertson last night. Could barely move last 20 minutes so all the games caught up with him in the end. Not sure starting him every 3 days in June is worth it especially with a smaller prize in play.

Shame Tierney isn't around otherwise could actually play him in that position for once. Or perhaps shift Hickey over to left and see if he can make more of an impact.

Well the Armenia match is not until next Wednesday so gives him seven days of recovery time so should not be a problem at all. I reckon Robertson will start V Armenia and if we get into a comfortable lead he'll be subbed at half-time or on the hour.

36 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Can get play off spot for finishing 3rd in actual euros group though. And 2nd place means no play off required.

To go from 2nd to 4th would be poor and Clarke wouldn't keep his job in that scenario.

Eh?

40 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He'll have a whole week to sober up before the next game. 😉

40 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well the Armenia match is not until next Wednesday so gives him seven days of recovery time so should not be a problem at all. I reckon Robertson will start V Armenia and if we get into a comfortable lead he'll be subbed at half-time or on the hour.

When was the last time we had a comfortable lead, the 90s after Diana's death up in Aberdeen (Belarus?) 

Hang on forgot about Gibraltar. 

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

When was the last time we had a comfortable lead, the 90s after Diana's death up in Aberdeen (Belarus?) 

Hang on forgot about Gibraltar. 

They were 3-0 up after an hour V Faroe Islands last March. It happens. Even leading 2-0 and I could see him being withdrawn.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

59 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Eh?

I think Chris might be getting confused with Euro 2016 qualifying before the Nations League existed. 

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think Chris might be getting confused with Euro 2016 qualifying before the Nations League existed. 

Or, he might be thinking about being able to get a playoff spot by being third in our Nations League group, mibbe? Although I would think that's fairly unlikely.

Edited by Orraloon

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

How can it be anything but anti climatic regarding these games after last night. Hardly going to be dancing around if we beat Armenia in a nations league game after bottling the game that mattered.

Just now, thesaint said:

How can it be anything but anti climatic regarding these games after last night. Hardly going to be dancing around if we beat Armenia in a nations league game after bottling the game that mattered.

If we beat Armenia, no matter how we do it, it has to be better than last night. Last night was probably the worst performance since Strachan's first game in charge.