Sfa… sort out the turnstile shambles pronto - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sfa… sort out the turnstile shambles pronto

Malcolm

arrived more than half a before kick off.  Thousands in a massive queue outside the north stand still at kick off. Didn’t get in until about 16/17 mins on the clock.

I don’t schlep my arse over from the other side of the country to standb8n a queue. Disgrace.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the latter please.  They had security people trying to help who were hopeless. It’s incumbent on the sfa to ensure people can get in to a game they have paid to see.  I wonder what the legal position on this is. We are talking a one hour queue and lots of folk beh8nd me would have missed a good 20-30 minutes.

the atmosphere was turning ugly with police and stewards getting some verbals but if this was a country like France or turkey I could see a riot happening and folk just rushing the turnistiles - it was heading that way.

^ yip ...

Its not just pished folk running out nearest pub 10mins before kick off either. Hampden not the easiest ground to get to far many people.

Anyone leaving work at 5pm in Edinburgh would have got to Hampden about 7.15-7.30pm by time they parked car and walked to ground (etc).  Trains being off didnt help traffic either.

The turnstiles are an issue, and the QR codes have made it worse

Edited by Haggis_trap

Just now, Debian said:

Everyone in front of me last night who had issues were either at the wrong gate or had the wrong tickets. 

USER ERROR

That might be case. However stewards could stop them getting to front of queue (blocking everyone else getting in) before that happens.

I've been to every game since this was implemented and the issue is always the supporter not the gate.  I don't really know what the SFA are meant to do about this they've made it as user friendly as possible. 

The other issue which has always caused problems even before the electronic gates is the queuing.  There's simply not enough space outside the North Stand to accommodate all the fans turning up within 30 mins of kick-off.  You always end up with people joining the back of a queue that snakes all the way back down Sommerville Drive which inevitably gets larger with people joining it in the middle nearer the gates.  Unfortunately the decent people who go to the back end up waiting for ages and miss the start.

1 hour ago, Haggis_trap said:

That might be case. However stewards could stop them getting to front of queue (blocking everyone else getting in) before that happens.

Or people could not be fucking mongols

1 hour ago, kwhitelaw said:

I've been to every game since this was implemented and the issue is always the supporter not the gate.  I don't really know what the SFA are meant to do about this they've made it as user friendly as possible. 

The other issue which has always caused problems even before the electronic gates is the queuing.  There's simply not enough space outside the North Stand to accommodate all the fans turning up within 30 mins of kick-off.  You always end up with people joining the back of a queue that snakes all the way back down Sommerville Drive which inevitably gets larger with people joining it in the middle nearer the gates.  Unfortunately the decent people who go to the back end up waiting for ages and miss the start.

It was never this bad with normal paper tickets. Easy, put a man in the turnstile.

I studied queuing theory at university and this is not rocket science.  “Residency time” is the issue here, ie the time each individual takes at the queuing point.  Reduce that and queue disappears.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

It was never this bad with normal paper tickets. Easy, put a man in the turnstile.

I studied queuing theory at university and this is not rocket science.  “Residency time” is the issue here, ie the time each individual takes at the queuing point.  Reduce that and queue disappears.

The absolute state of you.  You're embarrassing. 

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

^ this exactly...

a steward scanning tickets would make all the difference to keep the queues moving.  once one person gets stuck in the turnstile it holds everyone up.  last nights chaos was all too predictable.

6 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

^ yip ...

Its not just pished folk running out nearest pub 10mins before kick off either. Hampden not the easiest ground to get to far many people.

Anyone leaving work at 5pm in Edinburgh would have got to Hampden about 7.15-7.30pm by time they parked car and walked to ground (etc).  Trains being off didnt help traffic either.

The turnstiles are an issue, and the QR codes have made it worse

I couldn't get away from Aberdeen till after 3pm due to having to collect my sons from their schools to take down to the match. Didn't get parked in central Glasgow till just after 7pm & then we were fortunate to get a taxi quickly. We still only got to the ground at 7.35pm and fully expected massive queues but there were only 3 or 4 ahead of us at each turnstile at the South Stand and the printed out tickets were fine. We were very lucky...

14 minutes ago, neilser said:

.... and fully expected massive queues but there were only 3 or 4 ahead of us at each turnstile at the South Stand and the printed out tickets were fine. We were very lucky...

Interesting : Maybe west & north worse than main stand ?

47 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

I was in the main stand as well. We had pretty big queues as well 25 to 35 minutes prior to kick off. Sounds like neilser missed the queues by leaving it until the last minute. Might be a lesson for us all for the future? Note to self  - "don't leave the pub until 20 minutes before kick off". 😉

QR codes in Apple wallet / Google wallet would not be difficult to implement and removes the need for user to have to manually zoom in to an attachment.  

Too much time being lost per entry and it mounts up.  

We got there about 10-15 mins earlier than usual and breezed into North stand about 7:15pm. 

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

What’s wrong with paper tickets - worked for years. Take your ticket out your pocket, hand it over.

They charge you a fortune to send them to you. Welcome to the 21st century grandad. 😉

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

They charge you a fortune to send them to you. Welcome to the 21st century grandad. 😉

And also need to pay for 100? Guys to stand and collect a ticket.

To me it looked like a very small %age of folk had trouble.

Stadium looked and felt full at kick off

I usually go in around at 7pm my son likes to get in Early the cue was already busy at that time. The steward on the west stand was the problem he asked to check my bag just come from work so  was just work stuff he asked me to empty ever item out of my bag I thought he joking he then spotted my son had a Capri sun he said give me the juice it’s not allowed I said no he said he was getting police I just went ignored him very aggressive these are the sort of people that cause problems at turnstiles. 

The QR code isn't working because you're in the wrong area, or have the wrong ticket.

There are signs beside each turnstile telling you why your QR code returns a green, orange, or red response.

A steward would still need to check that ticket, and then promptly get you back out.

15 minutes ago, stocky said:

And also need to pay for 100? Guys to stand and collect a ticket.

To me it looked like a very small %age of folk had trouble.

Stadium looked and felt full at kick off

there were 1000s queueing at the north stand at kick off time.  People that had been there for half an hour.  That’s unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Haggis_trap said:

I was amazed - I was resigned to not getting in for ages. The stress of knowing that anthems and kick off are imminent is no fun at all.

16 hours ago, Malcolm said:

arrived more than half a before kick off.  Thousands in a massive queue outside the north stand still at kick off. Didn’t get in until about 16/17 mins on the clock.

I don’t schlep my arse over from the other side of the country to standb8n a queue. Disgrace.

The issue is that there aren't anywhere near enough turnstiles for a user-operated system. 

I go to games regularly at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and there's never much of a queue to get in as there are far more places to scan your ticket. 

Turn the old turnstiles into entrances and have a separate ticket scanning area external to the ground. 

13 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

The issue is that there aren't anywhere near enough turnstiles for a user-operated system. 

I go to games regularly at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and there's never much of a queue to get in as there are far more places to scan your ticket. 

Turn the old turnstiles into entrances and have a separate ticket scanning area external to the ground. 

100pc this!  Some of the turnistiles in the north stand weren’t even open. Muppets.