Andy Goram - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andy Goram

Och Aye

1 hour ago, aaid said:

There was a bit more too it than that and which came out a few years later.

Goram was released by Rangers in 1998, so he'd have had gone into the World Cup without a club.  He was also not a particularly highly paid player amongst the Rangers squad but had an expensive lifestyle - tl;dr he was skint and out of work.

A lot of the reason he retired/quit/walked out was because he needed to try and get himself a new deal somewhere although if he'd been told that Brown was going to start with Leighton, then that might have helped make that decision easier.

I would have thought the best way to do that would be put himself in the shop window at the World Cup.  Goram was a better keeper than Leighton, always felt super confident with him in goals.  Leighton was a great keeper too, but just not quite as good a shot stopper as Andy.  He had a presence that seemed to fill the goal despite his relative lack of height for a goalie.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I would have thought the best way to do that would be put himself in the shop window at the World Cup.  Goram was a better keeper than Leighton, always felt super confident with him in goals.  Leighton was a great keeper too, but just not quite as good a shot stopper as Andy.  He had a presence that seemed to fill the goal despite his relative lack of height for a goalie.

Not if he wasn’t going to be playing it wouldn’t be.  

10 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Crazy decision from Craig Brown unless there was a fitness issue. Goram was one of the ultimate big game players. 

Leighton was amazing in that Brazil game, they'd have scored 5 nae problem. One incredible save to tip a Ronaldo shot round the post from close range.

Less so in Morocco game so Goram with his steady presence would've probably done better in that situation perhaps.

As I get older I find it harder to seperate the player from the person in terms of feelings towards them.

Goram was an unbelievable GK. Probably the best ever although I do really like Craig Gordon over the years.

I struggle with terms like legend getting thrown around though. For me, somebody like Walter Smith was a Rangers legend and he was top class on and off the pitch (I know he was always off the pitch as a manager but you know what I mean). Likewise Tommy Burns at Celtic.

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

As I get older I find it harder to seperate the player from the person in terms of feelings towards them.

Goram was an unbelievable GK. Probably the best ever although I do really like Craig Gordon over the years.

I struggle with terms like legend getting thrown around though. For me, somebody like Walter Smith was a Rangers legend and he was top class on and off the pitch (I know he was always off the pitch as a manager but you know what I mean). Likewise Tommy Burns at Celtic.

He’s certainly a Rangers legend, no question at all. 

This popped into my mind today, why did SAF not fancy him for Man Utd way earlier in his career, ie in the late 80s. Surely would have known him from the Scotland set up and knew he was destined for bigger things than hibs. Signs Leighton obviously, another what if moment, the 90s could have been very different decade. 

On 7/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, JECK said:

This popped into my mind today, why did SAF not fancy him for Man Utd way earlier in his career, ie in the late 80s. Surely would have known him from the Scotland set up and knew he was destined for bigger things than hibs. Signs Leighton obviously, another what if moment, the 90s could have been very different decade. 

I'd hazard a guess there would have been massive question marks over his fitness and lifestyle off the pitch that put bigger clubs off.  I've often wondered why the likes of Gough & McCoist never saw bids from bigger teams coming in.

19 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd hazard a guess there would have been massive question marks over his fitness and lifestyle off the pitch that put bigger clubs off.  I've often wondered why the likes of Gough & McCoist never saw bids from bigger teams coming in.

Would Gough and McCoist not have considered Rangers to be one of the "bigger teams" in Europe at that time?

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Would Gough and McCoist not have considered Rangers to be one of the "bigger teams" in Europe at that time?

Aye absolutely....different times indeed and the pay scale at Rangers would have been far closer to the giants of England and Europe at that time

38 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

27 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Aye absolutely....different times indeed and the pay scale at Rangers would have been far closer to the giants of England and Europe at that time

Probably but still surprises me that no one seemed to come in for them, that we heard of anyway.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Yeah because lifestyle off the pitch (I assume you mean bevy?) had a lot of bearing on signings 30 years ago in Britain🤣 I agree tho SAF did try and move the Man Utd 80s drinking club on tho but there was still famously plenty of drinking at football clubs in the late 80s and into the 90s. It didn’t really stop at Man Utd till the mid to late 90s.He was unquestionably the better GK of him and Leighton.