Andy Goram - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andy Goram

Och Aye

• 4 weeks later...

Great keeper, very complex character (but that's for another time). R.I.P.

What was the issue with him not going to the 98 world cup? Injury like McCoist or did he just get dropped for off field issues as odd he was first choice at euro 96 and then didn't make the squad for France so assume it was personal stuff getting in the way.

Quite liked that random Motherwell team he was part of in the late 90s. Him, Shaun Teale, John Spencer, Pat Nevin, Don Goodman, Lee McCulloch,  Kevin Twaddle....turned over the Old Firm a few times and were unlucky not to make europe in the 99/00 season.

Edited by Tartan Chris

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

What was the issue with him not going to the 98 world cup? Injury like McCoist or did he just get dropped for off field issues as odd he was first choice at euro 96 and then didn't make the squad for France so assume it was personal stuff getting in the way.

In short the main reason was Craig Brown selected Jim Leighton as his number 1 Goalkeeper for the tournament and he had been told he wouldnt be playing

He told Craig Brown he was retiring from International duty and it was accepted without a fight

The press reported it as a walk out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/6501037.stm

There was an excellent tribute to Andy in his own words on Sportsound yesterday. If I wasn't so hungover I'd post a link.

Anyway according to Goram, before France 98 Craig Brown had told him Leighton was going to be first pick, and Andy said at that stage in his career he felt it was better to give a younger keeper the experience of sitting on the bench.

He went on to say watching us facing Brazil on TV made him regret the decision.

53 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

There was an excellent tribute to Andy in his own words on Sportsound yesterday. If I wasn't so hungover I'd post a link.

Anyway according to Goram, before France 98 Craig Brown had told him Leighton was going to be first pick, and Andy said at that stage in his career he felt it was better to give a younger keeper the experience of sitting on the bench.

He went on to say watching us facing Brazil on TV made him regret the decision.

Crazy decision from Craig Brown unless there was a fitness issue. Goram was one of the ultimate big game players. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

39 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Crazy decision from Craig Brown unless there was a fitness issue. Goram was one of the ultimate big game players. 

Scotland managers have (had) a habit of doing that once we reached World Cup finals

The achievement of qualifying must go to their heads

I was going to France 98 with Ian Sharp's Euroscot and i can remember the news breaking - it was most disheartening as he was a better keeper than Leighton

Jim Leighton's performances in qualifying were exceptional though, particularly v Sweden at Ibrox, so it would've been tough to drop him.

In hindsight Goram might have been a better choice, particularly for Morocco 🤦‍♂️

There was a bit more too it than that and which came out a few years later.

Goram was released by Rangers in 1998, so he'd have had gone into the World Cup without a club.  He was also not a particularly highly paid player amongst the Rangers squad but had an expensive lifestyle - tl;dr he was skint and out of work.

A lot of the reason he retired/quit/walked out was because he needed to try and get himself a new deal somewhere although if he'd been told that Brown was going to start with Leighton, then that might have helped make that decision easier.