Sleep Apnea... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone suffer from Sleep Apnea? I am sure I have it. Went for a sleep study last night at the hospital. All the wires and electrodes hooked up. To be honest, could hardly sleep at all. I sleep on my stomach, so had to sleep on my back. Get the results in a fortnight. I have all the symptoms. Snoring, stop breathing in my sleep, choking, the whole bit. I was reading folk can have a stroke in their sleep, and it's very dangerous. Next is the Cpap machine if I am diagnosed with SA. Anyone suffer from this and how has the Cpap machine worked for them....

Well if you insist on me opening up on my bodily disfunctions... I'm told I have it, but since I'm asleep I've never noticed.

Until that is you mentioned choking.   Is that a thing?   Happened to me a couple of times.   Woke up choking and couldn't stop coughing as something was irritating my lungs (or whatever).   Dawned on me that I might me going to die a rock-n-roll death and die gagged on my own vomit at 27, but that moment has passed.

I reckoned that a gassy beer as a nightcap was a bad idea and have taken to a 1/2 glass of milk instead.   Still here at 28+

13 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Well if you insist on me opening up on my bodily disfunctions... I'm told I have it, but since I'm asleep I've never noticed.

Until that is you mentioned choking.   Is that a thing?   Happened to me a couple of times.   Woke up choking and couldn't stop coughing as something was irritating my lungs (or whatever).   Dawned on me that I might me going to die a rock-n-roll death and die gagged on my own vomit at 27, but that moment has passed.

I reckoned that a gassy beer as a nightcap was a bad idea and have taken to a 1/2 glass of milk instead.   Still here at 28+

The choking is more like gasping for air. My wife has woken me up a few times, scared the life out of her. It's no joke, it can take years off your life if it is not diagnosed properly.. Certainly got my attention...

Do it sometimes, mostly when drunk, she just elbows me in the ribs and that starts me breathing again. Weird thing is I know when I'm doing at as I usually dream that I'm under water. 

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

Do it sometimes, mostly when drunk, she just elbows me in the ribs and that starts me breathing again. Weird thing is I know when I'm doing at as I usually dream that I'm under water. 

That must be awful. Fuckin dreams, me aswell... Hope they get it sorted...

I dont have this condition but I read a bit about it when I went on blood pressure tablets. I have very poor sleep patterns and when I went on the tablets I wondered if my lack of sleep was a contributor to my high blood pressure  . I googled it and Sleep Apnea was one of the things that caused high blood pressure, so yes you do need to be careful , I hope they manage to help you. 
Here is a video of a guy having an episode , he doesn’t look unlike you Ramy. 

Mr Tidy’s snoring drives me mad . He is more likely to have a stroke due to me smothering him with a bloody pillow than a sleep apnea episode . I had to record him a couple of years ago as he didn’t believe he snored. Nope no snoring to be heard here. 

• 3 weeks later...

The stop breathing thing has happened to three times.

What happened when i woke up suffocating was a lack of mental consciousness (i was awake but had no thoughts except complete fear at the fact I had no thoughts.  I try to rationalise it as the result of asphyxiation.

The doctor mentioned panic attack. My ego did not feel this to be true. But i guess they must have been. Ive not had one in over 5 years and I think it was caused by stress.

Hope this helps.

Ross