Whose our penalty kick taker? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whose our penalty kick taker?

Malcolm

40 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Surely Dykes will continue to take our pens if on the park.

Surely not. His technique is horrible.

Id much rather somebody like Gilmour, Mctomminay or McGinn

7 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Surely Dykes will continue to take our pens if on the park.

Hes been poor with pens. Did he not miss one for us? Also one of his pens for us was right at the keeper and luckily it managed to go in. Maybe gilmour, adams or mcgregor would be a better choice.

12 minutes ago, todd said:

Seem to remember McGinn's was a bit of a howler against Israel but squirmed in anyway

Actually just watched it again, wasn't really that bad, keeper just guessed the right way I suppose.

35 minutes ago, Rawlinho said:

Ryan Christie's taken a couple in the past and scored well. If he's not playing I've no issue with McGregor or McTominay taking one 

Agree with McGregor or McTominay 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

As for Dykes, recall the Penalty against Austria - although he scored, it was a stinker! 
Correct me if I’m wrong, think he also missed a Penalty against Israel 

But it kinda depends who’s confident / comfortable at that moment in time

So Dykes should never be allowed to take a penalty for Scotland again based on 2 dodgy ones? 😂😂😂

What if he rattles his next one into the top corner? 

Every penalty taker hits bad ones now and again ffs. If he continues to hit poor ones and ends up missing a few more then fair enough but there is no need to take someone off penalties because they miss one and score another one that wasn’t perfect. 

Presumably our coaching team will have suggested to Dykes that he doesn't need to hit them down the middle every time? 

I won’t have a problem with Dykes taking our next penalty. As long as he scores. 😂

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

So Dykes should never be allowed to take a penalty for Scotland again based on 2 dodgy ones? 😂😂😂

What if he rattles his next one into the top corner? 

Every penalty taker hits bad ones now and again ffs. If he continues to hit poor ones and ends up missing a few more then fair enough but there is no need to take someone off penalties because they miss one and score another one that wasn’t perfect. 

Presumably our coaching team will have suggested to Dykes that he doesn't need to hit them down the middle every time? 

I won’t have a problem with Dykes taking our next penalty. As long as he scores. 😂

You cant really afford to have a guy missing more than one/two pens in football, especially in international football. He reallly shouldnt have scored the one that went down the middle. The keeper really fukked up there and should have saved it. 

I like dykes and think hes done well for us but hes missed one and should of missed another. I personally wouldnt have him taking them but i dont mind as long as he learns from his mistakes and makes sure he improves on them in the future.

One things for sure is he wont be allowed to miss a few more before he gets taken off them. He misses his next one and clarke wont let him take another imo. Too much at stake.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

You cant really afford to have a guy missing more than one/two pens in football, especially in international football. He reallly shouldnt have scored the one that went down the middle. The keeper really fukked up there and should have saved it. 

I like dykes and think hes done well for us but hes missed one and should of missed another. I personally wouldnt have him taking them but i dont mind as long as he learns from his mistakes and makes sure he improves on them in the future.

One things for sure is he wont be allowed to miss a few more before he gets taken off them. He misses his next one and clarke wont let him take another imo. Too much at stake.

He has only missed one though. Managers don’t normally panic and change penalty taker after one miss. You can’t really judge a player on 2 penalties. The guy is a professional footballer and a striker and is very likely more than capable of taking good penalties. 

22 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He has only missed one though. Managers don’t normally panic and change penalty taker after one miss. You can’t really judge a player on 2 penalties. The guy is a professional footballer and a striker and is very likely more than capable of taking good penalties. 

For me its not really about the fact he has only missed 1. Its the technique thats lacking. You have good technique players and bad technique players when it comes to pens. 

Obviously anybody can miss and anybody can score any given penalty but over the course the good technique will do better. Thats why nations like Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain etc tend to do well in shootouts. 

Dykes doesnt look confident, he hits it hard in the hope that it goes in rather than putting it in a place where he knows it will. 

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

For me its not really about the fact he has only missed 1. Its the technique thats lacking. You have good technique players and bad technique players when it comes to pens. 

Obviously anybody can miss and anybody can score any given penalty but over the course the good technique will do better. Thats why nations like Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain etc tend to do well in shootouts. 

Dykes doesnt look confident, he hits it hard in the hope that it goes in rather than putting it in a place where he knows it will. 

He’s a professional footballer and striker. If he can’t take a decent penalty he shouldn’t be playing for a junior side never mind Scotland. 

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s a professional footballer and striker. If he can’t take a decent penalty he shouldn’t be playing for a junior side never mind Scotland. 

Set pieces are totally different from the rest of the game. Theres a reason why most players dont take free kicks or corners.

8 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Set pieces are totally different from the rest of the game. Theres a reason why most players dont take free kicks or corners.

Dykes does take penalties though. If he’s that terrible at it why has he taken them for us and his clubs?

I should point out that I’m not saying I think Dykes should definitely continue to take our penalties but I’m pretty sure he’ll take the next one if he’s on the pitch when we get it. If he hits it well and scores (which he’s more than capable of doing) he’ll continue to take them. If he misses then he maybe he will be replaced as penalty taker.