What do Ken McNaught and John McGovern have in common. ? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What do Ken McNaught and John McGovern have in common. ?

There were probably better players in their positions available at the time but it’s funny that they both never received a single cap - no idea of call ups - and of course they both had team mates who were regulars.

Weekends Nottingham Forest game on your mind Eddard? Great memories of late 70s early 80s team as a youngster with a good few Scots in the team. Clough relied heavily on McGovern, took him to a few clubs I think.

Edited by Och Aye

When you consider Roy Aitken and Iain Munro were in the 1980/81 Scotland squad as midfielders it is a bit shabby

11 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Weekends Nottingham Forest game on your mind Eddard? Great memories of late 70s early 80s team as a youngster with a good few Scots in the team. Clough relied heavily on McGovern, took him to a few clubs I think.

I’m actually looking forward to it. My niece follows Huddersfield home and away so I will like to see them win. That Forest team under Clough and Taylor was a pedigree side though. 

17 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

When you consider Roy Aitken and Iain Munro were in the 1980/81 Scotland squad as midfielders it is a bit shabby

I'm pretty sure that every cap that Iain Munro got was at left back. And that would have been because McGrain or Jardine were unavailable. Munro was competing with Frank Gray to try to take over from McGrain.

Aitken was regarding as Mr Versatile (equally average in a number of positions😉). And Big Jock liked to play defenders in midfield.

20 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I always was of the opinion that for eons old firm ( quota ) was selected to keep bulk of the fans / country on board - as some real pish was selected over the years ; also the media seem to have a hand in influencing selection too - by “voicing” views of the fans - probably ended under berti

That was the case in the days when the team was picked by a selection committee. But Tommy Doc put an end to all that, and future managers benefited from his strong stance on team selection. He publicly declared that he wouldn't take the job unless he was given a free hand on team selection. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

That was the case in the days when the team was picked by a selection committee. But Tommy Doc put an end to all that, and future managers benefited from his strong stance on team selection. He publicly declared that he wouldn't take the job unless he was given a free hand on team selection. 

possibly why jimmy johnston only got 20 odd caps

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

possibly why jimmy johnston only got 20 odd caps

Or possibly because his form with Scotland was, in the main, a million miles away from his performances with Celtic

On 5/27/2022 at 11:52 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Hooters within walking distance too!

Some place!

Re the game, it was even worse than the CL final but good to see Forest back. It’s amazing how many big clubs have drifted out the EPL and failed to find their way back….not that I care particularly 🤔

43 minutes ago, slasher said:

Some place!

Re the game, it was even worse than the CL final but good to see Forest back. It’s amazing how many big clubs have drifted out the EPL and failed to find their way back….not that I care particularly 🤔

VAR not doing its job though. 2 nailed on pens for Town turned down. Forest deserved the win though. 

• 6 months later...