Starting 11 v Ukraine - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 v Ukraine

Malcolm

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Ryan Jack OUT

Alan Campbell IN 

Right on the back of Steve Clarke saying Scott Wright isn’t in because it’s not the squad to take a look at a new player he calls up Allan Campbell 🤔

Just now, ProudScot said:

Right on the back of Steve Clarke saying Scott Wright isn’t in because it’s not the squad to take a look at a new player he calls up Allan Campbell 🤔

Allan Campbell and Scott Wright play different roles.

Campbell also plays regular football and was one of his teams best players this season as they almost got promotion to the Premier League.

Campbell deserves his call up. Wright will just have to work harder won't he ?

14 minutes ago, todd said:

Never mind, did 'the Google', but still, I  can't recall him even being suggested for a call up before🤔

A few people were suggesting him as a call up for the friendly games back in March.

24 caps for the U21s and a familiar face to anyone who follows the Scottish Premiership from his time at Motherwell. Hardly an unknown.

18 minutes ago, todd said:

Never mind, did 'the Google', but still, I  can't recall him even being suggested for a call up before🤔

The fact you had to Google him is enough for me. Get in the fuckin bin and leave it to the manager 🤣

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Allan Campbell and Scott Wright play different roles.

Campbell also plays regular football and was one of his teams best players this season as they almost got promotion to the Premier League.

Campbell deserves his call up. Wright will just have to work harder won't he ?

A few people were suggesting him as a call up for the friendly games back in March.

24 caps for the U21s and a familiar face to anyone who follows the Scottish Premiership from his time at Motherwell. Hardly an unknown.

Wright not being called up is consistent with Clarke's approach in the past. I remember when Ralston broke into the first 11 at Celtic earlier in the season, but Clarke said a short stint in the first team isn't enough to merit a call up. Ralston managed to stay heavily involved for Celtic, so got his deserved call up later. Same thing happened last year with Turnbull.

Wright has done very well lately, but I think most of us know fine well that as soon as Rangers get some injured players back AND the transfer window opens, he'll most likely be back on the bench. 

Allan Campbell has played over 40 games for a promotion chasing team. Clarke has not just called him up on a whim.

Guest Scot1

I think Campbell is a decent player; but I feel we have better options at right centre midfield. McGinn can play there, McTominay would be my 1st choice there in a 3 man midfield. Lewis Ferguson is a better player there, you could also play Turnbull there if needed and he’s also a better player. I think Campbell needs to be tried as a defensive / holding midfielder, I think that is where he could well shine.

4 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I think Campbell is a decent player; but I feel we have better options at right centre midfield. McGinn can play there, McTominay would be my 1st choice there in a 3 man midfield. Lewis Ferguson is a better player there, you could also play Turnbull there if needed and he’s also a better player. I think Campbell needs to be tried as a defensive / holding midfielder, I think that is where he could well shine.

To be honest Campbell will not feature (certainly not in the play-off matches) anyway. However, he may figure as a sub in the Nations League matches perhaps against Armenia as squad rotation will definitely come into play.

Guest Scot1
10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be honest Campbell will not feature (certainly not in the play-off matches) anyway. However, he may figure as a sub in the Nations League matches perhaps against Armenia as squad rotation will definitely come into play.

I’d like to see Clarke switch to a back 4 against Armenia at Hampden, there’s no need for a back 3/5 in such a match. Would be a good opportunity to try Campbell in the defensive midfield/holding role. 

6 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I don’t think Campbell will add anything different to what we have got already. At least Wright has been playing and scoring recently. Would prefer options rather that bring safe. 

I’m guessing that was a phone fart as it makes no sense!

I watched a couple of Luton games towards the end of the season and Campbell was all over the pitch. A real all action midfielder. Championship football’s a fair bit below international standard but I’d be happy for him to get a chance in one of the Nations league matches.

Pity Jack’s out because even though he was unlikely to start, he’s a good experienced player to come off the bench.

10 hours ago, slasher said:

The fact you had to Google him is enough for me. Get in the fuckin bin and leave it to the manager 🤣

Sure I'm not the only one who was unaware of him you self righteous wang!

Guest Scot1
21 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I watched a couple of Luton games towards the end of the season and Campbell was all over the pitch. A real all action midfielder. Championship football’s a fair bit below international standard but I’d be happy for him to get a chance in one of the Nations league matches.

Pity Jack’s out because even though he was unlikely to start, he’s a good experienced player to come off the bench.

I’ve watched a few games involving Campbell with Luton over the season. And I do like his work rate but I get the feeling that he does run around like a headless chicken at times. He’s not as technically good as other players we have that also play right centre midfield. I think if you played him in front of the defence, in a season or two, if the penny drops and he develops the discipline and reading of the game required for the position, we could have a very good defensive/holding midfielder, a role/position in which, I feel, we are lacking.

31 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Yeah looking back it’s a car crash post other than I was impressed with Wrights performances in the last part of the season. He’s done well in some big games including the Europa Semis and Final as well as the SC Final. 

7 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’ve watched a few games involving Campbell with Luton over the season. And I do like his work rate but I get the feeling that he does run around like a headless chicken at times. He’s not as technically good as other players we have that also play right centre midfield. I think if you played him in front of the defence, in a season or two, if the penny drops and he develops the discipline and reading of the game required for the position, we could have a very good defensive/holding midfielder, a role/position in which, I feel, we are lacking.

Aye he’s certainly never going to be N’Golo Kante! Maybe more James McArthur if he maxes his ability! Which would be pretty decent going.

2 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Yeah looking back it’s a car crash post other than I was impressed with Wrights performances in the last part of the season. He’s done well in some big games including the Europa Semis and Final as well as the SC Final. 

Haha! We all have them!

Guest Scot1
12 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Aye he’s certainly never going to be N’Golo Kante! Maybe more James McArthur if he maxes his ability! Which would be pretty decent going.

Hard to tell his potential, but I think he has a higher ceiling as a holding/defensive midfielder than as a central midfielder. If he can make the adjustments required.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

I wouldn’t have been against a call up for Wright as there’s not a whole lot of pace/width in the squad but I don’t see Clarke changing much tactically over the next few games.