Starting 11 v Ukraine - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 v Ukraine

Malcolm

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Marshall's experience means nothing if he is playing terribly or not even getting game time. I wouldn;t trust him anymore, he had his day IMO

Just because he’s playing badly now doesn’t mean he will be in six months so I wouldn’t completely write him off yet. He’s 2 years younger than Gordon who has had some ropey spells in the past.

Clarke selecting him for this squad is a bit odd though. 

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Marshall's experience means nothing if he is playing terribly or not even getting game time. I wouldn;t trust him anymore, he had his day IMO

He's in the squad to get brought on for penalties 😁

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

I've noticed a few supporters of one of those teams moaning that Scott Wright hasn't been included - the same Scott Wright they generally regard as being rubbish. 🙃

Yeah the Rangers fans in my office have been going on about Wright for weeks saying he's "not Rangers class".

The line today was "he's not good enough for Rangers, but he definitely is for Scotland".

18 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Yeah the Rangers fans in my office have been going on about Wright for weeks saying he's "not Rangers class".

The line today was "he's not good enough for Rangers, but he definitely is for Scotland".

Fans are fickle. He’s had a decent run and also put in some good performances. I’m sure he’ll kick on next season. 

35 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I do love the wholesome support out players get...11% of this squad according to some should not be in it. Plus those that just missed out IE Wright should not be in it either. Jeez we must be worse than we thought.

It's a fair point. The squad that Clarke has selected is a pretty good one in my opinion. And the fact that we have some decent players who didn't get selected makes me cautiously optimistic about the future.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Just because he’s playing badly now doesn’t mean he will be in six months so I wouldn’t completely write him off yet. He’s 2 years younger than Gordon who has had some ropey spells in the past.

Clarke selecting him for this squad is a bit odd though. 

Marshall was never that great, his heroics in the penalty shoot out have made him more popular in my opinion. 

He didn't even get in the derby squad, was offloaded to cover i injuries at qpr and was Shite while there. Thankfully we have Gordon as our number one. Ideally Marshall has one final flurry with good form so we have back up to give us confidence but I don't have any him at the moment.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I do love the wholesome support out players get...11% of this squad according to some should not be in it. Plus those that just missed out IE Wright should not be in it either. Jeez we must be worse than we thought.

we should all just lie and say we are happy with every players in the squad.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

What does that have to do with some Rangers fans wanting him in the Scotland squad? Does “general consensus” mean you’ve seen a few comments from Rangers fans saying they don’t like him? 🙄

I know lots of Rangers supporters who think he’s a good player and is playing well now after a shaky start. Are they not allowed to say they want him in the Scotland squad? 

Well, I haven't been able to organise and conduct a scientific, peer-reviewed study into what Rangers fans think of Scott Wright's ability as a footballer yet, for which I can only apologise, so yes, I have just gone by comments made by people who (presumably) watch him play regularly, which have been, in my experience, overwhelmingly negative.

You seem to be getting very het up for some reason about a comment regarding a player who hasn't even been included in the squad.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

That's been my experience too, but seemingly we're not allowed to mention things like that on here anymore. 🤫

Cant really find fault with the squad. Personally I wouldnt have picked Marshall but maybe he is just there for experience and calm head. If he is 4th choice id have much rather Clarke took a young GK for the experience.

I wouldnt have included anybody who didnt get in. Actually pleased guys like Wright didnt get in. Not only is he not very good, he also doesnt play in a position that we use. He isnt a lone striker and doesnt play behind a striker like McGinn or Christie etc

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

we should all just lie and say we are happy with every players in the squad.

No but we should accept that Clarke is the professional coach/manager who has worked with the much-maligned players so he is far better placed to judge their worth to the squad than the run-of-the-mill supporter. Clarke is not going to select non-trustworthy players for such a crucial squad.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No but we should accept that Clarke is the professional coach/manager who has worked with the much-maligned players so he is far better placed to judge their worth to the squad than the run-of-the-mill supporter. Clarke is not going to select non-trustworthy players for such a crucial squad.

So like I said we should lie and say we are happy with each selection and not discuss Who we feel should and shouldn't be in the squad.

25 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

So like I said we should lie and say we are happy with each selection and not discuss Who we feel should and shouldn't be in the squad.

No but word opinion less OTT IE substitute he is shite for he would not have been in my squad. Being honest saying Marshall, O Donnell or Stewart is shite is a lie straight away when you considering they have probably played over 1000 matches of professional football for several clubs. Hardly, stacks up as being shite.

I get people do not want them in the squad and there are players who others moon over who I don't see in the same way but I won't resort to calling them shite or such-like.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No but word opinion less OTT IE substitute he is shite for he would not have been in my squad. Being honest saying Marshall, O Donnell or Stewart is shite is a lie straight away when you considering they have probably played over 1000 matches of professional football for several clubs. Hardly, stacks up as being shite.

I get people do not want them in the squad and there are players who others moon over who I don't see in the same way but I won't resort to calling them shite or such-like.

Maybe a football Forum isn't for you

48 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You're trying to dictate what people say. For example Saying Marshall has been shite lately isn't crime of the century and is arguably accurate. 

I am sure every fan will be behind whatever player takes the field on games day but until then people are perfectly entitled to discuss who and who has not been included in the team

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

You're trying to dictate what people say. For example Saying Marshall has been shite lately isn't crime of the century and is arguably accurate. 

I am sure every fan will be behind whatever player takes the field on games day but until then people are perfectly entitled to discuss who and who has not been included in the team

Opinions are like arseholes -0everybody has one. Sure everybody can voice it how they want too. I just find it fickle or bit OTT to label players as shite who have played a sizeable part in getting us to our first major tournament in over 20 years. Seems a bit ungrateful to me but there you go.

Post what you want as it is about opinions but same applies in reverse.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

And quit the insults eh. It does nobody any favours. We are all hear to support Scotland after all 

If someone is going to act like a condescending wank towards me I will call it out. You basically acted like a child in that last post - the I'm right yours wrong tone of your was the issue. 

Your started with a post about how we are apparently not fully supportive of the squad, then you changed it to Clarke should be 100% trusted and we shouldn't question him then you move the goal posts again to its unfair to label a player shite because they did well two years ago 

You're all over the place

9 hours ago, mcguffin said:

It's a fair point. The squad that Clarke has selected is a pretty good one in my opinion. And the fact that we have some decent players who didn't get selected makes me cautiously optimistic about the future.

I think we can drop the "cautiously" part, and just be optimistic. The fruits of our labour are in full display now. 

There is no way in hell at any time from 2000-2019 that a Scot starting in a European final wouldn't have been selected for a Scotland squad. Especially one as big as this. So it shows how deep our talent pool is that Wright hasn't been picked.

Furthermore; McLaughlin, Scottish cup final starter, plays for Rangers, not picked; James Forrest, Scottish player of the year in 2019, plays for Celtic, not picked; then you have the US based players, umpteen players in the English championship, and a dozen from the SPFL that likely would have been a shoe-in in yesteryear. 

I'm overwhelmingly optimistic.

Selections in the squad are also due to circumstances with the WC qualifiers and Nations League games all crammed together. Tierney shaped hole in the team aside, manager is right to select and stick by those who have done the business for us to get to the WC play-off. Based on availability much of the team shouldnt be far away from picking itself for the first 2 games. Had the squad been exclusively for Nations League, I think he'd have been slightly more experimental and blooded a few new players such as potentially Wright to take a look at them. 

Surprised hes taking 4 keepers but assume hes taken Marshall for an experienced backup for the Ukraine/Wales games in case Gordon gets injured or as someone says perhaps for a potential penalty shootout. Im also guessing the other 2 goalkeepers will be in for a shout of some game time in the NL. We need to blood younger keepers sooner rather than later after all.

I'm surprised Forrest wasn't called up.

He's playing recently and has lots of experience.

I thought Fraser would be in as well, I thought him and Clark had made peace, however he might be injured.

However I stand 💯% behind sir Steve 👍😎

5 minutes ago, stocky said:

I'm surprised Forrest wasn't called up.

He's playing recently and has lots of experience.

I thought Fraser would be in as well, I thought him and Clark had made peace, however he might be injured.

However I stand 💯% behind sir Steve 👍😎

I think it was probably the right decision to leave Forrest out. After a long injury spell, he's really struggled to find form and has rarely been in the starting 11. 

Some players have so much credit built up from past Scotland performances that their club form is almost irrelevant e.g Gilmour, Patterson, Gordon, Dykes, Hanley. I don't think Forrest falls into that category. Like Fraser, he has to fight his way back in.