Starting 11 v Ukraine - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 v Ukraine

Malcolm

The CBs are interchangable bar Tierney who obviously needs to play there to get him in the team.

Hanley- Just a big lump who's terrified whenever anyone runs at him, look at him trying to kick out at that blonde lad who ran away from him late on in the game. Some poor heading from the crosses he did get on the end of late on aswell when playing as emergency CF.

Cooper- Can't say I've ever been that impressed with him playing for NT but will continue to get called up while he remains premier league regular.

McKenna- Playing a draining match on Sunday afternoon pretty much ruled out a start for him given he wouldn't have been involved in the preparation much. Should get a run of starts now given he will also be prem regular next season unless Forest buy loads of CBs.

McTominay- Usual pros and cons to where he plays. He was miles better in midfield tonight.

Hendry- Surprised he didn't start given he played well end of last year.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

The CBs are interchangable bar Tierney who obviously needs to play there to get him in the team.

Hanley- Just a big lump who's terrified whenever anyone runs at him, look at him trying to kick out at that blonde lad who ran away from him late on in the game. Some poor heading from the crosses he did get on the end of late on aswell when playing as emergency CF.

Cooper- Can't say I've ever been that impressed with him playing for NT but will continue to get called up while he remains premier league regular.

McKenna- Playing a draining match on Sunday afternoon pretty much ruled out a start for him given he wouldn't have been involved in the preparation much. Should get a run of starts now given he will also be prem regular next season unless Forest buy loads of CBs.

McTominay- Usual pros and cons to where he plays. He was miles better in midfield tonight.

Hendry- Surprised he didn't start given he played well end of last year.

Souttar played well in the Denmark game. 

7 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Ukraine were never there for the taking ; even from the perspective that all their players were comfortable on the ball , at times they went through us like the proverbial hot knife through butter - i agree with the defence and forwards being pish - its been this way for a while - usually our midfield has been enough to bail us out, and our full backs of course -aside from Adams and Dykes being way out of their depth - we;re carrying at least 1 passenger when they're both on the field 

McGinns header summed it up for me ; one mans bad luck is anothers bad technique

What I mean by there for the taking is their big chances basically all came through defensive errors, as opposed by unplayable ability (in my view). It's possible their quality forced the defensive errors however; Zinchenko did look class.

I think the tactical changes did improve things, but that may have been more of a case of Ukraine taking their foot off the gas than us going up a gear - as they were two up by the time the changes were able to take hold.

Guest Scot1
35 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Who do you want him replaced with then ?

That quite obviously is where you were going with that.

What utter pish.

We get it. You're upset Gilmour turned down Rangers but I'm afraid you'll just have to get over it.

The thing about Clarke is he doesn’t learn from mistakes or if he does it takes a number of times before he gets it. At international level, that’s a problem. 
I’ll give you an example, personally id never play McTominay as a centre half, but disregarding that. In the game against Israel when Patterson was handed his debut (I think), McTominay was the right sided centre back and they looked shaky and I think both the free kicks for the Israeli goals came from fouls on that side. Tonight he played McTominay as a right-sided centre back and again played an very inexperienced wingback beside him (Hickey). McTominay isn’t a centre halve you want to be playing an inexperienced wingback beside, in my opinion. In my opinion if you were playing an inexperienced wingback, you want an experienced centre half beside him, helping him through the game. It’s simple things like that a good manager  either wouldnt do or would’ve learned the 1st time. Simple things, but they matter, they add up. 

Edited by Scot1

This game was the an exact re-run of the Croatia and Czech games. Manager picks the wrong team, plays guys out of position, picks the wrong formation,  insists on defensive approach, we play long balls to a striker obtuse in the modern game, clearly instructs our players to sit back and not to engage and 60 minutes later realises he's got it wrong. We looked good from about 60 mins to about 80 minutes, coincidentally the only time where we actually tried to pass our way through Ukraine and by that time the game was done.

As with both the Czechs and Croatia, we didn't create any good quality opportunities and that's because our manager insists on agricultural football from a bygone age.

I said after The Euros he should have went and if the SFA are happy to waste our most talented and technically gifted players for a generation on some dinosaur, then that's on them.

8 minutes ago, Mazda said:

Can't see Wales putting in as woeful a performance.

Wales are much better defensively in terms of shape. Will be a low scoring game, probably go to extra time and pens unless Bale smashes one in from 25 yards which is probably the alternative script.

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

This game was the an exact re-run of the Croatia and Czech games. Manager picks the wrong team, plays guys out of position, picks the wrong formation,  insists on defensive approach, we play long balls to a striker obtuse in the modern game, clearly instructs our players to sit back and not to engage and 60 minutes later realises he's got it wrong. We looked good from about 60 mins to about 80 minutes, coincidentally the only time where we actually tried to pass our way through Ukraine and by that time the game was done.

As with both the Czechs and Croatia, we didn't create any good quality opportunities and that's because our manager insists on agricultural football from a bygone age.

I said after The Euros he should have went and if the SFA are happy to waste our most talented and technically gifted players for a generation on some dinosaur, then that's on them.

The technically gifted players will still be around post 2024 so no short term danger.

Clarke will get the euros campaign and rightly so. If he dosen't qualify then I'd look to make the change as 2026 world cup in America/Canada/Mexico would be a great one to make, think europe gets 3 extra spots?

That was utter shite. Everything. Even the atmosphere , though admittedly there was fook all to create an atmosphere. Soon as they scored at the start of the second half it was game over. 
I will be very surprised if Wales dont win convincingly , we made Ukraine look good . The only ‘positive’ is that we lost the game fair and square and not through some dodgy decision or flukey goal. There can be  no excuse for that display. 

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

I’m 58 in September. I don’t think I’ll see Scotland qualify for a World Cup again. 

If FIFA get their way we'll have a 64 team World Cup every two years so there's still a chance. 

What level of side Ukraine are is up for debate. They're obviously a lot better than us, is all. The better side throughout. Only their keeper is mince. Perhaps if he'd been put under pressure earlier on...

I'll still go to the Armenia game. Might take some marking to do as it should be fairly quiet.

The one thing I do hope is that the lads fight back like they did after the defeat away to Denmark - with a positive attitude and a determination to pay back the fans.

I know it fucking hurts like hell what happened tonight but we have to pick ourselves up and move on.

On 5/30/2022 at 7:21 PM, vanderark14 said:

Clarke will have our boys properly motivated for this. I'm confident of that.

Callum mcregor on BBC basically repeating what robertson said the other night

Aye. So he fucking did. Absolute abomination of a performance. 

42 minutes ago, adamntg said:

They’re clearly not a poor side. 

They only won two of their group games, most of them play (or played) in their own domestic league, which is on a par with the SPFL, and their run to the QF of the Euros - where England cuffed them without breaking sweat - has to be the most fortuitous in a major finals since Ireland reached the same stage of Italia '90 without winning a game.

They're not a poor side but we made them look better than they are. Tonight's game was eminently winnable, but we shat it.

Edited by scotlad

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

They only won two of their group games, most of them play (or played) in their own domestic league, which is on a par with the SPFL, and their run to the QF of the Euros has to be the most fortuitous in a major finals since Ireland reached the same stage of Italia '90 without winning a game.

They're not a poor side but we made them look better than they are. Tonight's game was eminently winnable, but we shat it.

That’s what I said, they’re not a poor side. 

They also didn’t lose any of their group games and drew with France twice.  I didn’t expect them to stroll the game, but they did.  

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

They only won two of their group games, most of them play (or played) in their own domestic league, which is on a par with the SPFL, and their run to the QF of the Euros has to be the most fortuitous in a major finals since Ireland reached the same stage of Italia '90 without winning a game.

Exactly that. We didn’t turn up.

52 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Wales are much better defensively in terms of shape. Will be a low scoring game, probably go to extra time and pens unless Bale smashes one in from 25 yards which is probably the alternative script.

That cunt probably will too. 🙄

That said, Wales were beaten by Poland today, whereas Ukraine will be on a high after beating us.

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

That’s what I said, they’re not a poor side. 

They also didn’t lose any of their group games and drew with France twice.  I didn’t expect them to stroll the game, but they did.  

I know you did, I was agreeing with you there.

At the same time, though, I don't think they're as good as we made them look.