Starting 11 v Ukraine - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 v Ukraine

Malcolm

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So if Gordon is injured I 'd much sooner have a goalkeeper in who has brought us through a play-off in the past with 40+ caps of experience than a zero caps keeper.

Yes Tierney missing is a blow but unless we rely on Tierney like, as is claimed, Wales do on Bale then we can work around it

Agreed. A boost having Patterson in.keeper

Marshall's experience means nothing if he is playing terribly or not even getting game time. I wouldn;t trust him anymore, he had his day IMO

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon

Odonel Mctominay Hanley Cooper Rob

Mcregor Mcginn Gilmour

Adams Christie

My stab at the team. Unless Patterson is fit which I doubt he will be considering he hasn’t played in 2 months. Could also see dykes over Christie But imo Christie is clear

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Marshall's experience means nothing if he is playing terribly or not even getting game time. I wouldn;t trust him anymore, he had his day IMO

This is very accurate. It’s quite bizarre he’s back in. 

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

This is very accurate. It’s quite bizarre he’s back in. 

It's his final swan song before his career ends when he signs for Hibs. 

43 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

How much more confident would we be of winning the next 2 games if we had Tierney in the team. What a shame. 

Good squad though barring some strange inclusions 

Any team who loses one of their best would feel it, I would be super confident if Tierney was playing. Watching him and Robertson go up and down that left wing is a joy to watch. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I've never really rated Marshall, but he wasn't playing terribly in the 10 matches he played in the championship.

None of our other squad keepers would get a game ahead of Dieng at QPR who is only kept out of the Senegal  national team by Édouard Mendy . Gordon wouldn't do any better than the bench at QPR either.

Clarke and Kelly have zero experience at any sort of level, Marshall has seen it all.

Marshall all day long for me as the back up.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I've never really rated Marshall, but he wasn't playing terribly in the 10 matches he played in the championship.

None of our other squad keepers would get a game ahead of Dieng at QPR who is only kept out of the Senegal  national team by Édouard Mendy . Gordon wouldn't do any better than the bench at QPR either.

Clarke and Kelly have zero experience at any sort of level, Marshall has seen it all.

Marshall all day long for me as the back up.

Disagree with that, Gordon would walk into most if not all championship teams. 

I think Clarke has been too loyal to Marshall here. Thankfully we have an excellent number one keeper. If Marshall was still.number one I.wouldnt have any confidence in us beating ukraine

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The BBC are trying to spin Tierney not being in the squad as an "omission" or a snub by Clarke. Don't they know Tierney is still recovering from a serious injury ? Terrible journalism.

A pity for Kenny McLean to suffer a bad injury and be ruled out. Slightly increases the chances of Turnbull or  Ferguson getting a run off the bench.

I also feckin despair at some of the idiots on twitter who profess to follow our national team.

People criticising Clarke for picking "too many" full backs but failing to understand that it's not one or two games we are playing but four or (hopefully) five. Clarke will need to rotate the squad to keep them fresh. Calling up extra players makes perfect sense.

Curiously, these smart arse critics all support the same two teams from the same city ...

I've noticed a few supporters of one of those teams moaning that Scott Wright hasn't been included - the same Scott Wright they generally regard as being rubbish. 🙃

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I can understand wanting experiencd backup but why not pick Jon McLaughlin? He hasn't much international experience but he is an experienced keeper, and is at least playing semi-regularly

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I can understand wanting experiencd backup but why not pick Jon McLaughlin? He hasn't much international experience but he is an experienced keeper, and is at least playing semi-regularly

He hasn't much experience period. Look at his career stats and you will be shocked how few a games he has played at top flight at the age of 34.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Any team who loses one of their best would feel it, I would be super confident if Tierney was playing. Watching him and Robertson go up and down that left wing is a joy to watch. 

Yes.We all knew it was coming,but when it's actually confirmed it's just as hard to take.Tierney is such a huge miss for us.So good at driving us forward.Can only hope whoever replaces him can rise to the occasion on the night and play out of their skin.Come on Scotland.

24 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I've noticed a few supporters of one of those teams moaning that Scott Wright hasn't been included - the same Scott Wright they generally regard as being rubbish. 🙃

Presumably the ones who think he should have been called up don’t think he’s rubbish? 🤔

23 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Exactly. He is not good enough, and it was injuries to other players that saw him get a run of games at club level.

Fans from the other side of the fence were happy to criticise Clarke for not calling up Ralston for the games in March but are now moaning about him (and McGregor, Taylor and Turnbull) getting called up for Scotland because it will "tire them out".

Sometimes you just can't win with some people !

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Presumably the ones who think he should have been called up don’t think he’s rubbish? 🤔

The general consensus appears to be that he's rubbish. Well, not good enough to play for Rangers anyway but seemingly good enough for the national team 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Speaking with a QPR mate, he said Marshall made some awful mistakes this season and was only brought in to cover injurys and would be 3rd or 4th choice keeper if all fit, also Jordan Archer would be No2.

Could he have been making mistakes because he wasn’t playing regularly? I won’t have a problem if he goes to Hibs and plays well consistently and Clarke picks him later in the year but I’m struggling to see why he has been selected this time. Loyalty from Clarke is all I can think of. 

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

The general consensus appears to be that he's rubbish. Well, not good enough to play for Rangers anyway but seemingly good enough for the national team 🤷‍♂️

Aye all Rangers supporters think exactly the same way. That makes sense. 

Could it be that some Rangers fans like him and would like to see him called up for Scotland even if lots of other Rangers fans don’t rate him?

In either case there’s no way he should be called up at the moment as he wouldn’t add anything to the squad. 

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Exactly. He is not good enough, and it was injuries to other players that saw him get a run of games at club level.

Fans from the other side of the fence were happy to criticise Clarke for not calling up Ralston for the games in March but are now moaning about him (and McGregor, Taylor and Turnbull) getting called up for Scotland because it will "tire them out".

Sometimes you just can't win with some people !

That's the OF for you: moan when their players don't get picked for the national team then moan when they do because they might get injured or "tired out" (because flying their players across the world to play friendlies to flog shirts isn't at all tiring). 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye all Rangers supporters think exactly the same way. That makes sense. 

Could it be that some Rangers fans like him and would like to see him called up for Scotland even if lots of other Rangers fans don’t rate him?

In either case there’s no way he should be called up at the moment as he wouldn’t add anything to the squad. 

🙄 I didn't say all Rangers fans think the same way, I said the "general consensus appears to be that he's rubbish".

It's possible that there are Rangers fans who think he's the best thing since sliced bread, but I've never met one or seen or heard a comment from one to that effect.

23 minutes ago, scotlad said:

🙄 I didn't say all Rangers fans think the same way, I said the "general consensus appears to be that he's rubbish".

It's possible that there are Rangers fans who think he's the best thing since sliced bread, but I've never met one or seen or heard a comment from one to that effect.

What does that have to do with some Rangers fans wanting him in the Scotland squad? Does “general consensus” mean you’ve seen a few comments from Rangers fans saying they don’t like him? 🙄

I know lots of Rangers supporters who think he’s a good player and is playing well now after a shaky start. Are they not allowed to say they want him in the Scotland squad?