Starting 11 v Ukraine - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 v Ukraine

Malcolm

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Tierney is a huge blow, I wonder if Clarke will be considering changing the system given how vital he is to making it work (look at our performance vs Czech Republic last June when we were with out him)?

Gordon

Hendry - Hanley - Cooper

Patterson - Gilmour- McGregor - Robertson

McGinn

Adams - Dykes

1 minute ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Huge blow to lose Tierney as expected for these games.

No Ryan Fraser either which probably ends his career under Clarke. 

That's a shame. Fraser undoubtedly could be very valuable. I'm not sure why it's gone wrong.

Thank god Patterson has made it so we won’t have to suffer O’Donnell again.

Would be nice to have Ryan Fraser and Scott Wright as options, they could get a call up for the nations league once the play offs are done and dusted.

Seems very odd to have 4 keepers for a start but also odder that David Marshall is one of them and Jon McLoughlin isn’t. 

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Seems very odd to have 4 keepers for a start but also odder that David Marshall is one of them and Jon McLoughlin isn’t. 

Yes odd to have four keepers but say something happened to Craig Gordon - no way would I want an uncapped keeper in for World Cup play-offs. That is where Marshall's experience comes as invaluable as back up. Agreed would have put McLaughlin in as No 3.

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It was inevitable so mentally and tactically we (as a squad) should be prepared. It is not like he picked up a late injury if you see what I mean. 

Yes. I'm sure Steve Clarke and his backroom team were prepared for this evenuality. Gutting nonetheless.

Squad as expected

• Marshall shouldn't be in there. He is done IMO, I honestly can't believe Hibs have signed him
  • Glad Patterson made it.
  • Tierney missing is a huge blow. I am not sure we have anyone else who can do half of what he does

The BBC are trying to spin Tierney not being in the squad as an "omission" or a snub by Clarke. Don't they know Tierney is still recovering from a serious injury ? Terrible journalism.

A pity for Kenny McLean to suffer a bad injury and be ruled out. Slightly increases the chances of Turnbull or  Ferguson getting a run off the bench.

I also feckin despair at some of the idiots on twitter who profess to follow our national team.

People criticising Clarke for picking "too many" full backs but failing to understand that it's not one or two games we are playing but four or (hopefully) five. Clarke will need to rotate the squad to keep them fresh. Calling up extra players makes perfect sense.

Curiously, these smart arse critics all support the same two teams from the same city ...

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Squad as expected

• Marshall shouldn't be in there. He is done IMO, I honestly can't believe Hibs have signed him
  • Glad Patterson made it.
  • Tierney missing is a huge blow. I am not sure we have anyone else who can do half of what he does

So if Gordon is injured I 'd much sooner have a goalkeeper in who has brought us through a play-off in the past with 40+ caps of experience than a zero caps keeper.

Agreed a boost having Patterson in.

Yes Tierney missing is a blow but unless we rely on Tierney like, as is claimed, Wales do on Bale then we can work around it

Edited by Caledonian Craig