Starting 11 v Ukraine - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 v Ukraine

Malcolm

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

To use Scot1's same weirdlogic, we may as well call up Arbroath's Michael McKenna. Banging them in !

It's all about opinions but their are some bloody crazy opinions on here.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scot1
7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It's all about opinions but their are some bloody crazy opinions on here.

I’ve watched a fair amount of Dykes and Stewart. If I had to choose one, I’d pick Stewart, primarily because I believe he is a better finisher than Dykes. 

Guest Scot1
10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Mcginn is already a guaranteed starter so your not dropping anyone for him.

He will play as the main attacking midfielder. There's not one fan who wouldn't have him. What I believe is insane is dropping out best forward. He's not ronaldo or a 30 goal a season striker but he is our best. Dykes again plays at a level above Stewart and has more experience.

Stewart may well get a call up one day but I suspect he has found his level. Ross County and league one

Ok, I’m playing McGinn in Adams position and bringing McTominay into the midfield. So I’m replacing a Southampton player with a Man Utd player. 

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

Ok, I’m playing McGinn in Adams position and bringing McTominay into the midfield. So I’m replacing a Southampton player with a Man Utd player. 

That makes zero sense.

Guest Scot1
5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

That makes zero sense.

I think McGinn can do Adams role better than Adams. 
I also believe that McTominay played as a box-box midfielder, in a midfield 3 alongside  Gilmour and McGregor would be a real threat from the middle of the park as well as making us more competitive and solid defensively in midfield. 

Edited by Scot1

Gordon

Mctominay.   Hanley.   Cooper

Hickey.   Gilmour.      Mcgregor.       Robbo

Mcginn

Adams.       Dykes

We still also have some great options to bring off bench should we need attacking change. Patterson and Tierney still huge blows though. Cant get away from that. 

Fraser, Brown, Christie, Armstrong

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Gordon

odonnel.       Mctominay Hanley cooper.   Robertson

Gilmour.  Mcgregor

Mcginn

Dykes adams

if gilmour not fit then mct in midfield and souttar at centre half

This will be the team 👍🏻

Guest Scot1
2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Part of McGinnsthreat is that he arrives later from a deeper position which makes him more difficult to pick up than playing up front.  If you are playing Mctominay instead of Adams we could go 541

Looking at McGinns involvement in both goals, to me, it’s top class Centre Forward play, in and around the box. You can see from these highlights that, on a number of occasions, McGinn is playing as a 2nd striker, off Adams. 

Guest Scot1

Heres 20 of Ross Stewart’s 25 goals for Sunderland this season. Right foot, left foot, head. Mostly, fairly simple, straightforward, 1 touch finishes. Now the question is, can he do this against better opposition?  I think he can, I think if we provide him the service within the 18 yard box and especially around the 6 yard box, he will put a good few of them in the net, left foot, right foot or head. And without a “world-class” centre forward, who can create and finish some of his own goal scoring opportunities, this is as good as we can do at this moment in time.

Edited by Scot1

21 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Heres 20 of Ross Stewart’s 25 goals for Sunderland this season. Right foot, left foot, head. Mostly, fairly simple, straightforward, 1 touch finishes. Now the question is, can he do this against better opposition?  I think he can, I think if we provide him the service within the 18 yard box and especially around the 6 yard box, he will put a good few of them in the net, left foot, right foot or head. And without a “world-class” centre forward, who can create and finish some of his own goal scoring opportunities, this is as good as we can do at this moment in time.

Are you related to Ross Stewart? Serious question

He is scoring in league one, it's genuinely a world away from a world cup playoff semi final against a side that will be more up for it than anything we've seen in years.

Guest Scot1
14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Are you related to Ross Stewart? Serious question

He is scoring in league one, it's genuinely a world away from a world cup playoff semi final against a side that will be more up for it than anything we've seen in years.

No I’m not related to Ross Stewart, I just think he is the best Centre Forward we have at this moment in time. I think he can and will score goals at a higher level if he gets the service. 
As I said, I’m not even sure if he’ll make the squad on Monday. And as far as the team selection against Ukraine, I think Clarke will try to go with a similar shape and most of the personnel that beat Denmark 2-0 at Hampden. With changes  in the back 3, due to Tierneys injury and Hanleys availability. 

Gordon

McTominay Hanley Cooper

O’Donnell.                     Robbo

Gilmour.  McGregor   

McGinn.               Christie

Adams

This is the team I expect Clarke to put out. Possibly Hendry instead of McTominay. But otherwise this, I think is how we will set up.

13 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gordon

Mctominay.   Hanley.   Cooper

Hickey.   Gilmour.      Mcgregor.       Robbo

Mcginn

Adams.       Dykes

We still also have some great options to bring off bench should we need attacking change. Patterson and Tierney still huge blows though. Cant get away from that. 

Fraser, Brown, Christie, Armstrong

That would be my team too. Thank feck we have hickey. Hope Gilmour is ok. 

6 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

I hope Stuart Armstrong starts if Gilmour is out  . Played really well v Austria last game 

Mcgregor

Mcginn     armstrong

Nice three man pivot allowing armstrong and mcginn to plow forward.

The mcgregor jack combo might worth a try as well. Certainly played well against serbia together.

51 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Gordon 

Souttar Hanley Cooper

McTominay                Robertson

Gilmour McGregor 

McGinn

Dykes Adams 

I would love to see McTominay play at right wing back, I think he has everything required to play there.

I would prefer he did it at club level first, not in one of our most important game in years.

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I would love to see McTominay play at right wing back, I think he has everything required to play there.

I would prefer he did it at club level first, not in one of our most important game in years.

I hear you, but sometimes in one off games you need to take a risk. We played it safe at the Euros and it cost us. 

On 5/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Ukraine play a counter-attacking style which would suit O'Donnell I would say.

Ukraine will be delighted to see O’Donnells name in the starting line up if it happens. 

Can’t see it, Clarke learned in the euros you play it safe and you get one chance and it’s fucked. 

Hickey for me with Ralston as back up