Starting 11 v Ukraine - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 v Ukraine

Malcolm

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon

Cooper              Hanley          McKenna

O'Donnell                                                                                                                              Robertson

Gilmour                      McGregor     

McGinn

Adams                Christie

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gordon

O'Donnell                                                                                                                              Robertson

McGinn

Gilmour has picked up a injury in training this week and Chelsea have recalled him to access the situation.

31 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gordon

McGinn

I'm an advocate of O'Donnell, in general, but if we are playing 3 conventional CBs, rather than Tierney and McTominay, I think a more attack minded RWB will be needed. Ralston or Hickey would be my choice.

As you said, it'll likely be McTominay in the back 3. Though if Gilmour is out, then I wouldn't be against a midfield 2 of CalMac and McTom. 

54 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm an advocate of O'Donnell, in general, but if we are playing 3 conventional CBs, rather than Tierney and McTominay, I think a more attack minded RWB will be needed. Ralston or Hickey would be my choice.

As you said, it'll likely be McTominay in the back 3. Though if Gilmour is out, then I wouldn't be against a midfield 2 of CalMac and McTom. 

I like the look of these suggestions.

Is Dykes fit at the moment? Big fan of Christie, but I'd be tempted to start the game with the Adams/Dykes partnership in attack?

Gordon

odonnel.       Mctominay Hanley cooper.   Robertson

Gilmour.  Mcgregor

Mcginn

Dykes adams

if gilmour not fit then mct in midfield and souttar at centre half

18 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Gordon

odonnel.       Mctominay Hanley cooper.   Robertson

Gilmour.  Mcgregor

Mcginn

Dykes adams

if gilmour not fit then mct in midfield and souttar at centre half

👍

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

I like the look of these suggestions.

Is Dykes fit at the moment? Big fan of Christie, but I'd be tempted to start the game with the Adams/Dykes partnership in attack?

I quite like having the one striker with a creative midfielder playing off them. It's a hard decision choosing between Dykes and Adams though.

We have dillemmas like that all over the pitch. With the exception of Gordon, McGinn, Tierney and Robertson, you could make compelling arguments to have a different name in any position on the park.

The injuries we have have actually made it harder for Clarke, since Gilmour, Patterson and Tierney all probably would have started. Now it's a toss up for who replaces them.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I quite like having the one striker with a creative midfielder playing off them. It's a hard decision choosing between Dykes and Adams though.

We have dillemmas like that all over the pitch. With the exception of Gordon, McGinn, Tierney and Robertson, you could make compelling arguments to have a different name in any position on the park.

The injuries we have have actually made it harder for Clarke, since Gilmour, Patterson and Tierney all probably would have started. Now it's a toss up for who replaces them.

I see where your coming from regarding the creative midfield playing off the striker. And Christie has shown he can play that role.

As for the dilemmas. I don't envy Steve Clarke's job. Looks like he's got some tricky decisions to make.

1 minute ago, mcguffin said:

I see where your coming from regarding the creative midfield playing off the striker. And Christie has shown he can play that role.

As for the dilemmas. I don't envy Steve Clarke's job. Looks like he's got some tricky decisions to make.

Given the personnel available I would go for the same team that played England with cooper, and set them up thE same - two out and out strikers.  Both dykes and Adams offer a bigger goal threat than Christie 

Guest Scot1

Gordon

Hanley.   Hendry.  Cooper

Ralston.                        Robbo

McTominay Gilmour McGregor 

McGinn     
                             Stewart

Not including Patterson and Tierney because of injuries. 

Edited by Scot1

16 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Gordon

Hanley.   Hendry.  Cooper

Ralston.                        Robbo

McTominay Gilmour McGregor 

McGinn     
                             Stewart

Not including Patterson and Tierney because of injuries. 

What reason would uou leave out dykes and Adams?

Guest Scot1
8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

What reason would uou leave out dykes and Adams?

I think Stewart gives you more or less everything Dykes does but is a better finisher. 
I’ve got McGinn playing as a 2nd striker, which is Adams natural and preferred role, I think McGinn is better in every aspect. 
I prefer the striker to have height ie Stewart or Dykes because we do put some lovely crosses into the box and I prefer to have a bit of aerial threat/presence. 
Also on occasion when we do go direct/long from the back, again I’d like some height upfront. 

Edited by Scot1

5 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I think Stewart gives you more or less everything Dykes does but is a better finisher. 
I’ve got McGinn playing as a 2nd striker, which is Adams natural and preferred role, I think McGinn is better in every aspect. 
I prefer the striker to have height ie Stewart or Dykes because we do put some lovely crosses into the box and I prefer to have a bit of aerial threat/presence. 
Also on occasion when we do go direct/long from the back, again I’d like some height upfront. 

That plan is insane.

8 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Mcginn, glimour and mcgregor in the middle with Adams and dykes upfront gives us much more fire power

Playing an untested league one striker in our most important game in years is a bit wild

Guest Scot1
9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That plan is insane.

Insane is a bit strong, insane is Putin invading Ukraine and expecting them to roll over. 
In my opinion Stewart is a better finisher than Dykes, and they are pretty similar in other aspects, height, physicality, pace, work rate etc. I’d say Dykes is probably a bit stronger than Stewart, but I’d say Stewart is a better footballer, better 1st touch, better feet. 
I think McGinn would thrive as a 2nd striker, allowed to roam and find pockets of space and linking up our forward play. And I feel he’d be better than Adams at it. He’s a superior player to Adams in every department. 

Edited by Scot1

Guest Scot1
8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Mcginn, glimour and mcgregor in the middle with Adams and dykes upfront gives us much more fire power

Playing an untested league one striker in our most important game in years is a bit wild

I’d personally have McTominay in midfield, drop Adams and push McGinn up front. 
McTominay used in the right way can be a goal threat. 
Stewart has a big game tomorrow at Wembley in front of a big crowd. He regularly plays in front of 30,000 + fans at the Stadium of Light. Be interesting to see if he has any influence on tomorrows game.

4 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’d personally have McTominay in midfield, drop Adams and push McGinn up front. 
McTominay used in the right way can be a goal threat. 
Stewart has a big game tomorrow at Wembley in front of a big crowd. He regularly plays in front of 30,000 + fans at the Stadium of Light. Be interesting to see if he has any influence on tomorrows game.

Adams scores at a higher level and has scored for Scotland in front of 52000 against Denmark. 

Using your own logic Adams makes more sense than Stewart. Stewart is banging them in two leagues below Adams. 

It's beyond insane to play Stewart in this upcoming game. He may be playing at Wembley but it's against Wycombe, that's the standard of the opposition he's been up against all season.

Scotlands biggest miss is a striker, Adams is by far our best and he plays at a high level. Dropping him right now would be crazy

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Adams scores at a higher level and has scored for Scotland in front of 52000 against Denmark. 

Using your own logic Adams makes more sense than Stewart. Stewart is banging them in two leagues below Adams. 

It's beyond insane to play Stewart in this upcoming game. He may be playing at Wembley but it's against Wycombe, that's the standard of the opposition he's been up against all season.

Scotlands biggest miss is a striker, Adams is by far our best and he plays at a high level. Dropping him right now would be crazy

To use Scot1's same weirdlogic, we may as well call up Arbroath's Michael McKenna. Banging them in !

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I’m dropping Adams for McGinn, not Stewart. I’m dropping Dykes for Stewart for the reasons I’ve gave in the above posts. I’m not expecting Clarke to go with my choices, I’m not sure if Stewart will even be in the squad, but given a choice between Dykes and Stewart, I’d pick Stewart. 

Just now, Scot1 said:

I’m dropping Adams for McGinn, not Stewart. I’m dropping Dykes for Stewart for the reasons I’ve gave in the above posts. I’m not expecting Clarke to go with my choices, I’m not sure if Stewart will even be in the squad, but given a choice between Dykes and Stewart, I’d pick Stewart. 

Mcginn is already a guaranteed starter so your not dropping anyone for him.

He will play as the main attacking midfielder. There's not one fan who wouldn't have him. What I believe is insane is dropping out best forward. He's not ronaldo or a 30 goal a season striker but he is our best. Dykes again plays at a level above Stewart and has more experience.

Stewart may well get a call up one day but I suspect he has found his level. Ross County and league one