Celtic boys club abuse - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic boys club abuse

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-60570893.amp

Whats everyones thoughts on the child abuse case thats being brought forward against celtic. I think theres something like 22 ppl who have filed for a class action lawsuit against celtic and if celtic lose it could be very costly. It could also result in more ppl coming forward resulting in a even more payouts. The abuse went on from the 70s to the 90s which means there could be alot of victims out there. 

This is not a dig at celtic btw and i aint interested in old firm tit for tat nonsense. Just interested in what ppl think regarding what could be a huge problem for celtic if there ends up being lots of victims and they are able to prove the boys club were not a separate entity.

I wonder how the insidious fuckwits that have blamed Sturgeon for the best part of her tenure as FM in covering it up will react now

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I wonder how the insidious fuckwits that have blamed Sturgeon for the best part of her tenure as FM in covering it up will react now

Is there ppl that blame sturgeon?

I know that alot of rangers fans blame everything on the snp and sturgeon but surely this situation has very little to do with her.

This seems to be subject people are afraid to discuss. 

This will inevitably end up a point scoring thread once certain people get involved. 

For what it's worth I think celtic have behaved terribly by trying to distance themselves from this. Their apologies have been half arsed to say the least.

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

This seems to be subject people are afraid to discuss. 

This will inevitably end up a point scoring thread once certain people get involved. 

For what it's worth I think celtic have behaved terribly by trying to distance themselves from this. Their apologies have been half arsed to say the least.

I think this forum isnt too bad for point scoring. 

Maybe celtic would be best trying to settle out of court unless they know that theres hundreds of victims who will all want a payout. Could get very messy for celtic if these 22 are successful. They might be the tip of the iceberg.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

I think this forum isnt too bad for point scoring. 

Maybe celtic would be best trying to settle out of court unless they know that theres hundreds of victims who will all want a payout. Could get very messy for celtic if these 22 are successful. They might be the tip of the iceberg.

I think Celtic have insurance to cover any settlements.  That might also explain why they, for want of a better phrase, do the right thing and settle at this point.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think Celtic have insurance to cover any settlements.  That might also explain why they, for want of a better phrase, do the right thing and settle at this point.

I have heard that they have insurance but how does that even work. I am not particulary clued up on these things but can you get insurance that covers this sort of thing? What happens if theres 500 victims all wanting 500k(unlikely i know) does the insurance company cover most of it?

59 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I know that alot of rangers fans blame everything on the snp and sturgeon but surely this situation has very little to do with her.

6 years they have flung this at her

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38252157

Nothing to do with justice - just that a big part of it would have involved Celtic

ergo - a cover up

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

A lot of Rangers fans are idiots. 

I can say that because I'm one of them.

Rangers fan that is.

Though my wife might say I'm in the latter category as well.

I have never seen anyone on here ever link this to Sturgeon in any way. It is tragic to try to make it about poor wee Nicola. She ain't the victim in this.

I am more concerned about grooming gangs which is probably on going. Or are we to believe that all ended at the England-Scotland border. 

It is so easy to see how these things get swept under the carpet. Even now folk don't give a fuck. Mostly this issue (the CBC) is only ever raised on here as a sly dig by a closet hun. That is the extent of the 'care'.

I had a thread going for a while on the industrial scale abuse of UK children which was far more recent. Yet folk are still going on about this abuse like it was yesterday. It is bizarre at best and at worst they are using the victims as a point scoring opportunity.

5 hours ago, thplinth said:

I have never seen anyone on here ever link this to Sturgeon in any way. It is tragic to try to make it about poor wee Nicola. She ain't the victim in this.

I am more concerned about grooming gangs which is probably on going. Or are we to believe that all ended at the England-Scotland border. 

It is so easy to see how these things get swept under the carpet. Even now folk don't give a fuck. Mostly this issue (the CBC) is only ever raised on here as a sly dig by a closet hun. That is the extent of the 'care'.

I had a thread going for a while on the industrial scale abuse of UK children which was far more recent. Yet folk are still going on about this abuse like it was yesterday. It is bizarre at best and at worst they are using the victims as a point scoring opportunity.

Eh? Dont think anybody on here has blamed sturgeon nor has anybody accused anyone of blaming sturgeon. Nobody has said shes a victim either. What are you rambling on about?

Reading follow follow and a couple of other rangers messageboards there seems to be some rangers fans who think sturgeon and the scottish government/snp are going easy on celtic and its all some crazy fenian conspiracy. Obviously these types dont represent the bulk of the rangers support but there is a section who despise sturgeon/snp and will blame anything and everything on her and the snp.

I am also guessing these types are hoping for this whole mess to destroy celtic or at the very least leave them with a huge compensation bill.

Its clear imo that the laws of the land should be allowed to carry out its job and if the courts find celtic liable for compensation then so be it. I dont see how sturgeon or snp should get involved in it considering its potentially going to be an ongoing case in the future. I can see her reasoning behind not extending the care homes investigation to include this as sounds like a mammoth task in itself. Perhaps a seperate inquiry/investigation into sexual abuse in football could be carried out as worryingly it seems like a massive undertaking in itself.

Also this isnt about grooming gangs, the subject is clearly in the title, if you want to discuss other subjects like grooming gangs then make your own thread about them. 

11 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I find it hard to believe that none of the high ups in the Celtic board room during the seventies, eighties and nineties were not made aware of what was happening as they claim.

Hope you're no going to start singing the song. 😉

24 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I find it hard to believe that none of the high ups in the Celtic board room during the seventies, eighties and nineties were not made aware of what was happening as they claim.

Yeh they were bound to hear rumours and accusations. Surely they must of had suspicions but didnt bother trying to stop it or were scared to try. These peado rings seem to have gone quite high up into the hierachy of scottish and british society and there may have been a fear of tackling them head on. 

I think its interesting that fergus mccann only spent 5 years as chairman before selling up. Did he suspect that there could be an avalanche coming celtics way and thought fuck this i will just help save the club from bankruptcy then move on swiftly before the lawsuits come flying in. 

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh they were bound to hear rumours and accusations. Surely they must of had suspicions but didnt bother trying to stop it or were scared to try. These peado rings seem to have gone quite high up into the hierachy of scottish and british society and there may have been a fear of tackling them head on. 

I think its interesting that fergus mccann only spent 5 years as chairman before selling up. Did he suspect that there could be an avalanche coming celtics way and thought fuck this i will just help save the club from bankruptcy then move on swiftly before the lawsuits come flying in. 

Am sure he stated from day one he wAs only coming in short term to inject some cash / bail out the club then sell when back on their feet - i recall he did what he said ; and won the league during an unlikely time - still wasnt enough for lots of the fans

13 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Am sure he stated from day one he wAs only coming in short term to inject some cash / bail out the club then sell when back on their feet - i recall he did what he said ; and won the league during an unlikely time - still wasnt enough for lots of the 

Maybe he stated that because he knew from the start or even before he became chairman what had gone on and only wanted to save celtic from bankruptcy then walk away leaving them in the hands of another owner who could foot the bill for the impending lawsuits he thought would come eventually.

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Maybe he stated that because he knew from the start or even before he became chairman what had gone on and only wanted to save celtic from bankruptcy then walk away leaving them in the hands of another owner who could foot the bill for the impending lawsuits he thought would come eventually.

Pretty sure that when McCann sold up he effectively sold his shares to fans rather than to any single investor.  

15 minutes ago, aaid said:

Pretty sure that when McCann sold up he effectively sold his shares to fans rather than to any single investor.  

Either way he left after only 5 years. Quite a short time really, obviously didnt want to be there in the long run for whatever reason that is.