Real Madrid - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I was 18 at the time, watched the game in the Manchester Pub on the promenade in Blackpool.

To my recollection no actual Aberdeen fans in there as such, but  loads of fans from Scottish and English clubs who celebrated Hewitts winner as if it was our own team, place went mental.

Good times. 👍

Following on from the discussion in the 21/22 thread, similar to Rangers this year, my mate always insists Aberdeen sacrificed the title that season for European success. 

Quite some run of successful finals for Real but I think it may come to an end shortly...

On 5/12/2022 at 3:12 AM, Toepoke said:

Following on from the discussion in the 21/22 thread, similar to Rangers this year, my mate always insists Aberdeen sacrificed the title that season for European success. 

Quite some run of successful finals for Real but I think it may come to an end shortly...

Always thought too many games that season at business end when league so tight - Scottish cup games too

the era of small squads -16 or 17 ???

12 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Always thought too many games that season at business end when league so tight - Scottish cup games too

the era of small squads -16 or 17 ???

and didn't Dundee United have a small squad too?... maybe 20 players?

I just checked, apparently  McLean had claimed it was just 14, but was actually 20

Edited by exile

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

40 Years today, legends were made, to be celebrated in front of a sell out crowd this weekend. 

I'm at a RN reunion in Cardiff this weekend however, know where I'd rather be - I'll be home for St Mirren on 24th though

Did you attend the preview last night, as I think I saw you share the advert?

What a time to be alive 

SF

It’s funny, although I watched it I don’t really remember much about the final. I remember more the game against Bayern in front of a raucous crowd at Todders against a team that I would have said at the time, were probably better than Madrid.

My abiding memory of the final was Hewitt scoring the winner and that it was absolutely pishing down all night 😂

Edited by slasher

from the age of 15 when I left school I followed the dandys home and away to some terrible sh*t holes ,

come 83 when I'm in my prime (22)  I coudn't afford to travel to gothenburg,I/we were saving for my/our wedding the following year...

I sat alone in my flat in portland street watching the game,the whole day wondering if it was going to go ahead because of the rain whilst all my pals and anyone with a heartbeat left for sweden

Anyway many many years later I did get to gothenburg and into the ullevi  stadium (one of my boys was in a tournament) and I got onto the pitch but couldnt work out which end the goal went in so I got the boy to give me a cross from both ends of the pitch,I scored one and the other hit my shoulder,to be fair it wasn't my turn to "chaperone" that day

7 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

1967 is, and will never be repeated, and is by far the biggest achievement of any club in the history of Scottish football....

You've got enough celtic threads ramy👍. No need to ruin this one which is celebrating one of Scottish footballs biggest nights.

82/83 season was also a clean sweep of runners up medals for real Madrid. 2nd in 5 competitions

La Liga
Copa Del Rey
Copa De La Liga
Supercopa de Espana
European Cup Winners Cup

when I went to Madrid to see aberdeen play atletic in 2008.. it was amazing how many atletico fans knew so much about that season 🤣

Just now, vanderark14 said:

82/83 season was also a clean sweep of runners up medals for real Madrid. 2nd in 5 competitions

La Liga
Copa Del Rey
Copa De La Liga
Supercopa de Espana
European Cup Winners Cup

when I went to Madrid to see aberdeen play atletic in 2008.. it was amazing how many atletico fans knew so much about that season 🤣

Not opening a can of worms.  All 3 were fantastic achievements.  My only point is that it was tougher when Aberdeen won it than when Celtic won it.  Same as now.  Rangers and Celtic were close in the other two finals right enough.  But imo the Aberdeen achievment was briillant.  Gets my vote anyway.

2 minutes ago, SamP said:

Not opening a can of worms.  All 3 were fantastic achievements.  My only point is that it was tougher when Aberdeen won it than when Celtic won it.  Same as now.  Rangers and Celtic were close in the other two finals right enough.  But imo the Aberdeen achievment was briillant.  Gets my vote anyway.

Anyway.  going for a pint.  We should all be proud of the Scottish teams that have won In Europe for a small country.  A good debate about it is not a can of worms.  Just simple debate.

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You've got enough celtic threads ramy👍. No need to ruin this one which is celebrating one of Scottish footballs biggest nights.

Hey man, not ruining a thread. It was an amazing achievement, one that makes me proud as a Scotsman.. So settle down and enjoy the occasion. If you make it down to Glasgow when I'm over, the first pint is on me VA.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🙂

31 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

1967 is, and will never be repeated, and is by far the biggest achievement of any club in the history of Scottish football....

Only one team fae Scotland got 2 of these Ramy 🇵🇱🇵🇱🥳🥳

10 minutes ago, SamP said:

Anyway.  going for a pint.  We should all be proud of the Scottish teams that have won In Europe for a small country.  A good debate about it is not a can of worms.  Just simple debate.

Its Gothenburg day,I'm semi retired and already had 2 pints and and a couple of malbecs, anyway going to my bed

I would like to apologize for my comments regarding Celtic in 1967. I honestly forgot what the thread title was. It's about Aberdeen and a tremendous achievement. My apologies again...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

51 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I would like to apologize for my comments regarding Celtic in 1967. I honestly forgot what the thread title was. It's about Aberdeen and a tremendous achievement. My apologies again...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

You should’ve retired years ago, seems to have made you a more tolerant, calm & saner person Ramy 😜enjoy your upcoming trip home 👍

p.s. good luck to ICT 🫣