Scottish Football Writers Association Awards Dinner - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Football Writers Association Awards Dinner

Have heard that this event was marred by some offensive after dinner speaker last night. Eilidh Barbour walked out of the event along with several others according to reports. A tweet from Barbour has brought plenty of attention to this.

It's sad to read that in this day and age, at an industry event involving the media who cover the national sport in this country the staple for the entertainment is racist, homophobic and sexist jokes. Surely as an industry the football writers/media are better than that. Surely as a country Scotland is better than that. If not it is a sad state of affairs that such a low bar is deemed acceptable.

Details - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/09/scottish-football-writers-association-sorry-sexist-jokes-prompt-walk-out

33 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Have heard that this event was marred by some offensive after dinner speaker last night. Eilidh Barbour walked out of the event along with several others according to reports. A tweet from Barbour has brought plenty of attention to this.

It's sad to read that in this day and age, at an industry event involving the media who cover the national sport in this country the staple for the entertainment is racist, homophobic and sexist jokes. Surely as an industry the football writers/media are better than that. Surely as a country Scotland is better than that. If not it is a sad state of affairs that such a low bar is deemed acceptable.

Details - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/09/scottish-football-writers-association-sorry-sexist-jokes-prompt-walk-out

Could you tell us some of the jokes so that we can decide for ourselves how bad we think they are? 😉

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Quite the allegations in the guardian without documenting what was actually said 

The only place I've seen any real reference of what was said is in the Daily Mail:

Guests present claimed that the lawyer had used the word 'p**f' while joking about his own father being homophobic. They also told The Telegraph that he used the word 'N*p', allegedly in connection with Celtic signing three Japanese players in January.

Ex-barrister is dropped as an after-dinner speaker by agency over 'sexist and homophobic' jokes | Daily Mail Online

Without the context of the poof comment it's difficult to make a judgement really as purely on the face of the above it could have been used to highlight his old man's homophobia.  The Japanese comment doesn't look great though and context would need to do some heavy lifting to save him there. 

Would genuinely be interested to know the misogynist comments as there are a number of complaints towards that but without knowing what they are it's difficult to make any sort of judgement.      

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The only place I've seen any real reference of what was said is in the Daily Mail:

The Japanese comment doesn't look great though and context would need to do some heavy lifting to save him there. 

The Japanese names for Japan are Nippon and Nihon

So that's where Nip comes from

Japs obviously also comes from Japanese

Are we now saying those references are politically incorrect and/or offensive  ? Is this now where we are

Jerry for German

Tally for Italian (Italia) etc

Could see the outrage if he had said "Gooks" or the like 

14 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Are we now saying those references are politically incorrect and/or offensive  ? Is this now where we are

Jerry for German

And Paki comes from Pakistan, and Chinky comes from China, so I guess they're fine too?

What's wrong with Japanese, German, Italian, Pakistani and Chinese?

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

And Paki comes from Pakistan, and Chinky comes from China, so I guess they're fine too?

What's wrong with Japanese, German, Italian, Pakistani and Chinese?

Are you offended being called a Scot rather than Scottish ?

Ange has also come out and said that the speech was unacceptable which will probably mean that the football writers will take it more seriously than they did the views of some of their members.

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Jerry for German

When I worked with Japanese guys many moons ago they informed me that they didn't mind being called Nips, but found Japs very offensive. 

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

When I worked with Japanese guys many moons ago they informed me that they didn't mind being called Nips, but found Japs very offensive. 

That's interesting because I'd always assumed 'Nip' was higher up than 'Jap' in the slur table.  Ever reliable Wiki backs it up too particularly around US Japanese seeing 'Jap' as particularly insulting:

Jap - Wikipedia

Nip - Wikipedia

The 'Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips cartoon' is absolutely wild - it was obviously of its time particularly as it was released 44/45 but between this and Rolf noncing my childhood illusions are up in smoke.   

13 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

That's interesting because I'd always assumed 'Nip' was higher up than 'Jap' in the slur table.  Ever reliable Wiki backs it up too particularly around US Japanese seeing 'Jap' as particularly insulting:

Jap - Wikipedia

Nip - Wikipedia

The 'Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips cartoon' is absolutely wild - it was obviously of its time particularly as it was released 44/45 but between this and Rolf noncing my childhood illusions are up in smoke.   

How many of you have come across some of these wine soaked arseholes on Scotland trips, tossers like Bill Leckie for example. They’re not all bad but It can’t be any surprise surely that many of them are out of touch and lacking in awareness?

4 minutes ago, slasher said:

How many of you have come across some of these wine soaked arseholes on Scotland trips, tossers like Bill Leckie for example. They’re not all bad but It can’t be any surprise surely that many of them are out of touch and lacking in awareness?

I’ve met and been in close proximity to several over the years on Scotland trips as you said some are okay some are arseholes.  Funnily enough had a long conversation with Bill Leckie before the game against Estonia in Monaco.  He was there as a fan, wasn’t working, and we were introduced by a mutual friend.  He was absolutely fine that time but that was 25 years ago.   Phil Shaw, a Yorkshireman who used to cover Scotland for the Independent was an absolute gent.

One thing I’d say about them as a group is that they’re very lazy and very cliquish.  They really do treat trips away as jolly ups and hate the fans being around because they “spoil it for us”.   On a few occasions I’ve been staying in or meeting someone in the same hotel as the team were staying, for obvious reasons, they put the journalists in another hotel, but often have pre match press conferences for the written media in the team hotel.   On more than one occasion I’ve witnessed them all in a huddle afterwards, checking that they’ve all got the same story, not just double checking quotes and the like but what the “party line” is that they’re going to take.   The next time Steve Clarke has a press conference, read all the reports in the different papers and see if you can spot any differences in the analysis.  It’s as if they all get it wrong, it won’t matter because they were all wrong, god forbid someone jumping ship and getting it right and showing everyone else up.

One person though who always seemed an outsider was Traynor which is why I was amazed that Rangers appointed him as head of PR.  The reasons why you appoint a former journalist to that position, a poacher turned gamekeeper, is because they understand how the press works and have all the contacts/mates that they can use to get the stories printed that they want printed and the ones they don’t spiked.  From what I could see, and comments made to me about him, they all hated him.  He definitely wasn’t one of the gang. 

5 hours ago, aaid said:

I’ve met and been in close proximity to several over the years on Scotland trips as you said some are okay some are arseholes.  Funnily enough had a long conversation with Bill Leckie before the game against Estonia in Monaco.  He was there as a fan, wasn’t working, and we were introduced by a mutual friend.  He was absolutely fine that time but that was 25 years ago.   Phil Shaw, a Yorkshireman who used to cover Scotland for the Independent was an absolute gent.

One thing I’d say about them as a group is that they’re very lazy and very cliquish.  They really do treat trips away as jolly ups and hate the fans being around because they “spoil it for us”.   On a few occasions I’ve been staying in or meeting someone in the same hotel as the team were staying, for obvious reasons, they put the journalists in another hotel, but often have pre match press conferences for the written media in the team hotel.   On more than one occasion I’ve witnessed them all in a huddle afterwards, checking that they’ve all got the same story, not just double checking quotes and the like but what the “party line” is that they’re going to take.   The next time Steve Clarke has a press conference, read all the reports in the different papers and see if you can spot any differences in the analysis.  It’s as if they all get it wrong, it won’t matter because they were all wrong, god forbid someone jumping ship and getting it right and showing everyone else up.

One person though who always seemed an outsider was Traynor which is why I was amazed that Rangers appointed him as head of PR.  The reasons why you appoint a former journalist to that position, a poacher turned gamekeeper, is because they understand how the press works and have all the contacts/mates that they can use to get the stories printed that they want printed and the ones they don’t spiked.  From what I could see, and comments made to me about him, they all hated him.  He definitely wasn’t one of the gang. 

Apologies in advance but that name and/or Gerry McNee always makes me think of this golf joke....

Jim Traynor is at the first tee and tells the starter "I'm Jim Traynor and I'm a country member".

To which the starter guy replies : "Aye Mr Traynor, I remember".

😄

57 minutes ago, fringo said:

Apologies in advance but that name and/or Gerry McNee always makes me think of this golf joke....

Jim Traynor is at the first tee and tells the starter "I'm Jim Traynor and I'm a country member".

To which the starter guy replies : "Aye Mr Traynor, I remember".

😄

🤣 😂

Are you an after dinner speaker? I think there might be a vacancy?