Dundee - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I was in Dundee for a while on Saturday and just wanted to post that I had a good day and the place is looking good. Hadn't been there for about 10 years but I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the city centre is. Has it been regenerated or upgraded. We arrived on the train so the area around the station was quite impressive and the centre of the city itself was much bigger than I thought it would be. Didn't seem to have as many empty units as my home city (Stirling) either. It was pretty busy with people out and about keeping the local economy ticking over and we visited a fair few pubs which we enjoyed. For all that it has a bad reputation the place was welcoming and seemed to be thriving. Well done Dundee. I will visit again before another 10 years go by.

I went for a break to Dundee a few years back and even then it was great and you could see the improvements that were in the process of being delivered. I really enjoyed it - found lots to do and the hotels were so much cheaper than other cities. I need to go back.

I lived in Dundee between 2018 and 2021, there have been big improvements in the waterfront area and it has been good for some businesses in and around the overgate. But the further along the high street you go towards the Wellgate the worse it gets, there is still a ridiculous amount of poverty and drug addiction in the city. Don't let the shiny new waterfront features fool you into thinking the city has been transformed

Edited by Freeedom

3 hours ago, Freeedom said:

I lived in Dundee between 2018 and 2021, there have been big improvements in the waterfront area and it has been good for some businesses in and around the overgate. But the further along the high street you go towards the Wellgate the worse it gets, there is still a ridiculous amount of poverty and drug addiction in the city. Don't let the shiny new waterfront features fool you into thinking the city has been transformed

Aye, spent a couple of days there in February and the difference between the Overgate and the Wellgate was stark.

Thought the V&A was excellent though, as was the McManus museum. 

My dad was born in Dundee before settling down south at end of WW2. Early-mid 1970s we were up visiting his friends, first time me and my sister had visited. Don't know what she was expecting but she burst into tears!

Was up there five years ago for an interview and was impressed, lots of rejuvenation, particularly by the waterfront. It even had sunshine!

Walked into town at the weekend, went through the Wellgate which was deserted sadly, must be about a third occupied, and the Murraygate wasn't much better. From Commercial Street westwards, things definitely improve a bit.

The waterfront once finished will be nice.

The city centre is much better around the waterfront but it still needs work I feel as there should be a lot more there .

The wellgate into Murraygate there is not much there now , remember as child there was plenty to do on a day in town 

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

My dad was born in Dundee before settling down south at end of WW2. Early-mid 1970s we were up visiting his friends, first time me and my sister had visited. Don't know what she was expecting but she burst into tears!

Was up there five years ago for an interview and was impressed, lots of rejuvenation, particularly by the waterfront. It even had sunshine!

Scotland's Sunshine City

https://www.dundee.com/resources/sunny-dundee