TV Rights 2024-28 Viaplay!!?? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TV Rights 2024-28 Viaplay!!??

Brummie Hibs

My issue with this is being online. Streaming stuff is always a second or two behind and if your internet goes down or slow it goes off or suffers buffering. Crap.

I have looked around and subscription for ViaPlay is 4.99 dollars in the USA per month so price wise it won't be extortionate and upside is more matches should be on free-to-air TV. But who will be the pundits and commentators and presenters? 

It has all got messy 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

But the SFA must have sold the rights to UEFA in the first place, or more likely just given them away. 

The SFA never held the rights to UEFA/FIFA competitions as such although I do think they let individual countries negotiate broadcast deals in the days before there was big money deals involved. 

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

My issue with this is being online. Streaming stuff is always a second or two behind and if your internet goes down or slow it goes off or suffers buffering. Crap.

I have looked around and subscription for ViaPlay is 4.99 dollars in the USA per month so price wise it won't be extortionate and upside is more matches should be on free-to-air TV. But who will be the pundits and commentators and presenters? 

It has all got messy 

Most pundits and commentators are freelance these days (look how McCoist gets about between ITV, Sky and BTSport) so they will probably gets a small dedicated team for each team (so effectively nothing much in terms of match day media will change... it will probably still be Ian Crocker and Ally McCoist on commentary, with David Tanner, Kric Boyd and Michael Stewart doing the pundit stuff).

Probably major difference will be all the build up stuff being more in-house from the SFA in the weeks build up to the game.

I suspect though that there is a chance that ViaPlay will probably initially lease the rights out in some way (ie STV get Nations League games, but ViaPlay keep qualifiers, or BBC get home games, but ViaPlay show all the away games etc....)

It's already beyond a joke what armchair fans are expected to pay out these days and this is another kick in the stones.  It would be fine if you're only paying Sky for the Scotland games and you could bin them (which I'd be all in favour of).

The plus side is that the SFA are at least trying to negotiate free to air games, which may actually be a bit more achievable with this mob than tyrants like Sky!  Chances are though no away games will be free to air as they're the money maker :(

13 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It has all got messy 

Reminds me of this:

On 4/27/2022 at 12:30 PM, vanderark14 said:

agree with this. It was bad enough selling cups games to Premier Sports but now this. If you are a fan of Scottish club and international football you need to pay for Sly sports, prem sports and now viaplay. Thats assuming Viaplay have exclusive right to scotland matches.

Firestick for me

Don't know much about firestick. What channels can you get with it?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Pretty much any sports channel available including overseas channels

When they first came out there was loads of issues with buffering and freezing was there not? Is it a lot better now?

7 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

When they first came out there was loads of issues with buffering and freezing was there not? Is it a lot better now?

The one I use is much much better, hardly any buffering at all. There is the obvious delay as its streaming but your not paying sky prices.

43 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The one I use is much much better, hardly any buffering at all. There is the obvious delay as its streaming but your not paying sky prices.

Is it still the case that the more people who watch a certain game ie. Champions League Final, the more chance of buffering?

I need to look into it more. Sky is getting binned. As you say prices are going up and more subscriptions needed to see what you want to see 😡

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Is it still the case that the more people who watch a certain game ie. Champions League Final, the more chance of buffering?

I need to look into it more. Sky is getting binned. As you say prices are going up and more subscriptions needed to see what you want to see 😡

I've got Now TV and tempted to bin that off.  

Entertainment and Films are relative peanuts so have a couple of times gone to cancel the Sport package.  Everytime I've done it though it asks you about 4 times if you're defo sure, and as it is usually once the season is finished, flags up other stuff you'll be missing which is surprisingly little to be honest other than the golf.  Every time it's given me a deal of £15 for 3 month rising to £25 for 3 month so saved a decent chunk and didn't need to speak to anyone.    

7 hours ago, McTeeko said:

I haven't had any issue with popular matches. I briefly watched Liverpool tonight, inly for 10 minutes as I get bored of CL football but no buffering

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I haven't had any issue with popular matches. I briefly watched Liverpool tonight, inly for 10 minutes as I get bored of CL football but no buffering

I watched the Liverpool game tonight on hesgoals & it only froze once just before liverpool's first goal.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I see all Wales international football games will be covered on SC4, free to air. That’s England and Wales games now on terrestrial TV. No such deal for Alba to cover Scotland games. 

Oh dear god! Could you imagine the coverage and commentary if it was on that monstrosity of a channel? ☺

I see all Wales international football games will be covered on SC4, free to air. That’s England and Wales games now on terrestrial TV. No such deal for Alba to cover Scotland games. 

Where did you see this re wales? The only articles I found state SC4 won't have the rights when they move to viaplay.

SC4 is something of its own independent station.

They get a load of money chucked at them from the Welsh and UK Governments, plus BBC have a working relationship with them, where they give them access to the BBC player, and pay them for producing content for them and use of their studios (I think they film and produce Dr Who for the BBC), so they are not short of money.

BBC Alba is funny owned by BBC and its budget comes from BBC, and given how much BBC have scaled back on sport over the last 20 years, I doubt they would fork out for international football.

Also I imagine the Welsh tv rights are worth a lot less than Scottish rights, hence SC4 are able to cut a deal with Sky (on basis games are commentated in Welsh, rather than English)