TV Rights 2024-28 Viaplay!!?? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TV Rights 2024-28 Viaplay!!??

Brummie Hibs

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took this from website earlier.

Nordic streaming service Viaplay has acquired exclusive rights to broadcast ALL Scotlandmen's matches from 2024 to 2028. 

UEFA have announced a deal has been struck to air future World Cup and Euro qualifying campaigns plus Nations League and friendly matches via the online-only subscription platform.

🥹 sense a fans boycott on the horizon! 

26 minutes ago, dougiemacfarlanearran said:

Took this from website earlier.

Nordic streaming service Viaplay has acquired exclusive rights to broadcast ALL Scotlandmen's matches from 2024 to 2028. 

UEFA have announced a deal has been struck to air future World Cup and Euro qualifying campaigns plus Nations League and friendly matches via the online-only subscription platform.

🥹 sense a fans boycott on the horizon! 

Depends on the pricing, 

From what I can gather looking around, the subscription fee for this service varies between £4 and £12 a month, and looks like they have the rights to the Dutch national team also.

I suppose the encouraging part is "free to air games", which means they will potentially lease out to STV or BBC Scotland, or will stream for free on their hub/YouTube.

From what I understand they are already streaming Scottish club football in Scandinavia, but the majority of their broadcasts are Nordic Noir tv shows. 

It's interesting timing as was speaking to someone the other day about how ending the Sky monopoly on football has only ended in the same punters spending more money to watch the same stuff.  Essentially each entity have a monopoly on their bits so folk have ended up having to chose to fund more monopolies or not watch it (or get it on the dodge).  

I can see me paying for this to be honest if there is no choice but punting something else to fund it more just to justify it to myself.  

Looks like they have picked up the broadcasting rights for EVERYONE in UEFA with the exception of England.

That feels like a awful lot for a relatively unknown brand to take on straight away before they even start streaming in most of Europe, so good chance they might be more willing to lease out (similar to deal Welsh had with Sky and SC4) to BBC Scotland or STVPlayer for Scotland games here and there.

Suppose best to wait and see.

Edited by wanderer

Another con, take it England got of easy coz BBC and ITV will front the cash? It will be Fire stick and a subscription elsewhere for me....I haven't given any of these multiple companies money in nearly 4 years but have watched everything I wanted. Shysters the lot of them!

17 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

If England are the only exception, they will be in a great position to negotiate. I wonder who they will have as their broadcast team. 

Channel 4 apparently, but unclear what games that is, as not full rights.

7 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Another con, take it England got of easy coz BBC and ITV will front the cash? It will be Fire stick and a subscription elsewhere for me....I haven't given any of these multiple companies money in nearly 4 years but have watched everything I wanted. Shysters the lot of them!

agree with this. It was bad enough selling cups games to Premier Sports but now this. If you are a fan of Scottish club and international football you need to pay for Sly sports, prem sports and now viaplay. Thats assuming Viaplay have exclusive right to scotland matches.

Firestick for me

That is absolute fucking pish. Online only is totally wank too. 

Its fairly apt for the SFA to sell the rights of their games to a platform zero fans will have access to currently and thus leaving them out of pocket and annoyed/mean they won’t watch. 

15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Its fairly apt for the SFA to sell the rights of their games to a platform zero fans will have access to currently and thus leaving them out of pocket and annoyed/mean they won’t watch. 

UEFA sold the rights (as they do for everyone), not the SFA.

17 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I only subscribe to Sky when there is a Scotland game on so I doubt if I will be out of pocket. It won't be more expensive than Sky. 

The issue I have is that if I'm not attending a game, then I want to go to the pub to watch it.

However, no pubs will have this.

I have IPTV and all that already, so I'll see the game no problem, but I'll miss going to the pub with the banter.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

But the SFA must have sold the rights to UEFA in the first place, or more likely just given them away. 

As has everyone in UEFA when tv rights were centralized, all the money gathered together and then redistributed between all the fa's.

SFA say in the final deal is very minimal (uefa basically puts them out to the highest bidder), but looks like they have sounded out Viaplay and asked about free to air games.