Council elections - help! - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Council elections - help!

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Last council elections were a disaster for the SNP hard for them to be have a worse resultĀ 

In 2017 council elections the SNP won the most council seats they have ever held - until today when they surpassed that.

Only a moron would spin this as some kind of defeat.

This election has been a total disaster for the Alba Party.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Despite Labour/GMB's hatchet job, the SNP win Glasgow - by one seat!

Labour made a few gains, the Tories a few losses (including Mr Natalie McGarry, who lost his seat in Pollokshields) and the Greens now have 10 councillors.

Close but no cigar for Labour, I presume itā€™ll be an SNP/Green coalition.

That result for the Greens shouldnā€™t be a surprise as the signs were there in the list votes last year.

Tories 4th in Glasgow and 5th in Edinburgh.Ā 

28 minutes ago, aaid said:

Close but no cigar for Labour, I presume itā€™ll be an SNP/Green coalition.

That result for the Greens shouldnā€™t be a surprise as the signs were there in the list votes last year.

Tories 4th in Glasgow and 5th in Edinburgh.Ā 

It looks like a lot of Tory voters from 2017 voted Labour this time, going by the percentages.

Part of me is slightly disappointed Labour didn't regain Glasgow. It would have been funny seeing them having to actually do something instead of just criticising and disrupting.

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It looks like a lot of Tory voters from 2017 voted Labour this time, going by the percentages.

Part of me is slightly disappointed Labour didn't regain Glasgow. It would have been funny seeing them having to actually do something instead of just criticising and disrupting.

A lot will be made of Labour coming second but in reality, theyā€™ve only really taken advantage of the Tories imploding, their vote share only went up by 1.6%.

ironically enough, this is just a reversal of the situation in 2016 when it was the Tories that took advantage.

Incidentally, going into government and being all wokey-cokey doesnā€™t seem to be going too badly for the Greens so far.

SNP did surprisingly well given the 'resurgence' of Labour and could easily have lost Glasgow.Ā 

I wonder if the STV system has a part to play - it would be interesting to see if indy supporters giving preference to Labour over Tories one a wise basis helped to elect Labour councillors. Then again it must even out in unpredictable ways. ThoseĀ  indy Labour & LD preferences over Tories must in other cases have helped get rid of Tories.Ā 

Seems the Tories lost councillors to all other (seat-winning) parties all over Scotland - a bit of a rout. Poor old Ruth Davidson trying to spin that it was from a high water mark of 2017 (set by, er, herself). But let's not forget she weighed in big time as poster girl for Tories big time overshadowing her own 'leader'Ā  all to no avail. Meanwhile Ross blaming partygate despite flip flopping to support Big Dog in the end. What a mess.Ā 

Alba maybe need to rethink where best to deploy their energyĀ  - a national campaigning organisation maybe but is it really worth fighting on the council front?

58 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Former head of the Orange Order elected was elected a Labour councillor in Lanarkshire. Let's see how they spin that one.

šŸ¤£ should have known with flares being back in fashion there is no reason politics cant give a nod to the 70ā€™s too.Ā 

23 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Thatā€™s exactly what it looks like to me. They are just moving back and forth.Ā 
Ā 

55 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Big movement of unionist voters in Embra away from the Tories and towards the Lib Dems.

The definition of having lost all hope.

28 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Thatā€™s exactly what it looks like to me. They are just moving back and forth.Ā 
Ā 

Itā€™s just rearranging the deckchairs on the good ship Better Together.Ā 

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

Itā€™s just rearranging the deckchairs on the good ship Better Together.Ā 

Apparently there is a "British Unionist Party" formed from a rump of BT activists, who got a councillor elected somewhere in deepest North Lanarkshire.Ā 

Edited by exile

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

In 2017 council elections the SNP won the most council seats they have ever held - until today when they surpassed that.

Only a moron would spin this as some kind of defeat.

This election has been a total disaster for the Alba Party.

Whos spinning it as a defeat? 2017 was a disaster, remember just prior to the election that I warned you specifically that the snp were going to lose a load of seats? I remember you in particular being a dick prior to it. I add, holding glasgow by one seat is a horrendous resultĀ 

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Whos spinning it as a defeat? 2017 was a disaster, remember just prior to the election that I warned you specifically that the snp were going to lose a load of seats? I remember you in particular being a dick prior to it. I add, holding glasgow by one seat is a horrendous resultĀ 

The 2017 council election (which is what we are talking about) were not a disaster.

I know your upset that the Alba experiment is now firmly dead in the water but you can't spin today's result as a bad one for the SNP. It has been a very good result for them.

Alba surely can't survive much longer. The party is being bankrolled only by Salmond, the glamorous TAS, and a former Dennistoun mature brothel owner.

9 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

In 2017 the SNP lost 7 council seats and 0.03% of their vote share. Ā In other words they stood still. Ā  I doubt anyone could describe that as a disaster.Ā 

28 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The 2017 council election (which is what we are talking about) were not a disaster.

I know your upset that the Alba experiment is now firmly dead in the water but you can't spin today's result as a bad one for the SNP. It has been a very good result for them.

Alba surely can't survive much longer. The party is being bankrolled only by Salmond, the glamorous TAS, and a former Dennistoun mature brothel owner.

Alba will be there at the next election I am pretty sure of that. I am not upset in the slightest as it was always going to be difficult.Ā 

26 minutes ago, aaid said:

In 2017 the SNP lost 7 council seats and 0.03% of their vote share. Ā In other words they stood still. Ā  I doubt anyone could describe that as a disaster.Ā 

Considering how much of the vote share they lost compared to the holyrood elections, yes it was a disaster no question about that. They should have wiped the board at that counselsĀ 

40 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is there such a thing as a mature brothel?

Or only formerly one, in Dennistoun?

2 minutes ago, exile said:

Is there such a thing as a mature brothel?

Or only formerly one, in Dennistoun?

One of the major funders of the Alba Party was exposed last year as having formerly run a brothel in Dennistoun that was exclusively staffed with women over fifty.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19565262.alba-party-kept-afloat-money-salmond-ppe-firm-loan/

Bizarre.

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

One of the major funders of the Alba Party was exposed last year as having formerly run a brothel in Dennistoun that was exclusively staffed with women over fifty.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19565262.alba-party-kept-afloat-money-salmond-ppe-firm-loan/

Bizarre.

Ok, Ok... So it's the husband of the brothel keeper.... couldn't read the article but I'll take your word for it. So it's the staff not the punters who are mature... but it invites more questions but better not derail off topicĀ šŸ˜…

Edited by exile

5 minutes ago, exile said:

Ok, Ok... So it's the husband of the brothel keeper.... couldn't read the article but I'll take your word for it. So it's the staff not the punters who are mature... but it invites more questions but better not derail off topicĀ šŸ˜…

The husband's profiteering PPE business is also worth note.

Alba are a joke political party. The fools who have donated money to them would have been better off giving it to charity.

10 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The husband's profiteering PPE business is also worth note.

Alba are a joke political party. The fools who have donated money to them would have been better off giving it to charity.

A Salmond onlyfans might be the way to pay for the next election campaign.

31 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Considering how much of the vote share they lost compared to the holyrood elections, yes it was a disaster no question about that. They should have wiped the board at that counselsĀ 

So youā€™re comparing results at two different elections to different institutions under different electoral systems - thatā€™s wise.

Hereā€™s why thatā€™s a problem. Ā Under STV, people donā€™t always vote for the party theyā€™d vote for in a Holyrood election on either the list or FPTP parts.

Thatā€™s because these are multi-member wards, so letā€™s say youā€™re an SNP supporter in a three member ward and theyā€™ve got two candidates standing. Ā You might actually vote for another candidate first to keep them in, knowing that if they are elected or are knocked out that your vote will transfer accordingly. Ā  Thatā€™s of course more applicable when you are talking about independent candidates, who got 10% of the FPs in 2017, which is a significant number.

Trying to suggest that there was a drop in vote share between the 2016 HR election and the 2017 council elections is nonsense - itā€™s comparing apples and oranges.Ā