Council elections - help! - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Council elections - help!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

i cant get over how poor the snp candidates are here, its very concerning actually,, the alba candidates are not bad, actually all the candidates seem very poor...this is going to be an interesting locals for more than one reason

Do you think it will be interesting enough to attract the attention of more than 50% of the voters?

On 5/3/2022 at 11:07 AM, hampden_loon2878 said:

i cant get over how poor the snp candidates are here, its very concerning actually,, the alba candidates are not bad, actually all the candidates seem very poor...this is going to be an interesting locals for more than one reason

There are quite a few Alba candidates standing here in Glasgow, mainly from Asian or African backgrounds, interestingly.

17 minutes ago, scotlad said:

There are quite a few Alba candidates standing here in Glasgow, mainly from Asian or African backgrounds, interestingly.

Including one guy who stood as a Tory in last year’s Holyrood elections.

Three slots open in our district and currently 1 x SNP and 2 Independents.  There was only 200 votes between SNP in first and Conservative in 4th.  I've had leaflets for the independents but haven't had anything from the SNP or Conservative candidates which I thought was weird.

Be an interesting one for Alba too as the local candidate runs a local food charity so see if they pick up many votes and is pretty well known around the place.  

I'll guess Independent 1st and 2nd with SNP third, Tories 4th, Alba maybe sneek 5th depending on if many Labour (300 last time) voters have gone back.  Lib Dems last (70 votes last time). 

10 minutes ago, exile said:

New Statesman predict Labour making big gains in Scotland and Tories and SNP losing seats

https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/05/our-local-election-forecast-for-2022/

A massively pro Labour publication with connections to uber Unionists The fabians

I cannot see how Labour in Scotland under Sarwar will make big gains

Unionist voters switcheroo is more likely 

21 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

A massively pro Labour publication with connections to uber Unionists The fabians

I cannot see how Labour in Scotland under Sarwar will make big gains

Unionist voters switcheroo is more likely 

It has Labour gaining mainly at expense of Tories so that would fit Unionist switcheroo

I am not sure how much effort they would put in to model Scotland accurately

Still, it is a reminder that the election is not a done deal  

Turnout seemed a bit slow this morning - ours is at the wee lass's school and after the classes went in there were only a handful of us who went in to vote.  Top whack five parents came in.  

Early days but wouldn't be surprised if turnout was noticably below the 48% our little corner got last time.  

Even the two candidates at the gate barely seemed arsed.  

Hijacking the thread but I’m amazed that there isn’t that much focus in the GB media on the elections in NI.  Mind you, the standard approach to NI from GB is to completely ignore it and then jump up and down when something happens that they didn’t see coming.

It looks very likely that Sinn Fein may well end up being the largest party in Stormont, they ran it close last time and were only one seat behind.

The analysis so far isn’t so much that it’s down to any massive support for a United Ireland but rather a drop off in DUP soft unionist support and people being less prepared to vote for one side to keep the others out.  tl;dr the Alliance party are peeling off DUP voters.

Due to the constitutional arrangements there, there isn’t a lot of faith that there will be a government as the DUP are refusing to go into government - if they’re second - unless the NI protocol is scrapped.

That’s obviously something that only the UK government can agree to, it’s not in the power of Stormont.

So you’d have the bizarre scenario of a party that’s just had its arse kicked in the election trying to hold a metaphorical gun to the head of the UKG to enact something which NI has just voted against. 

14 folk had voted when i went in just now lol,, very very slow the lady said.. I just voted alba first and although I told myself I couldn’t vote for the snp when sturgeon was still leader, i gave them number 2. I found out yesterday the woke mob and the woke msp associates hate the snp candidate and really want her to fail so much so they have given zero support to the candidate, disgraceful behaviour and just shows the priorities of those woke infiltrators, so alba and Snp for me 

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

Hijacking the thread but I’m amazed that there isn’t that much focus in the GB media on the elections in NI.  Mind you, the standard approach to NI from GB is to completely ignore it and then jump up and down when something happens that they didn’t see coming.

It looks very likely that Sinn Fein may well end up being the largest party in Stormont, they ran it close last time and were only one seat behind.

The analysis so far isn’t so much that it’s down to any massive support for a United Ireland but rather a drop off in DUP soft unionist support and people being less prepared to vote for one side to keep the others out.  tl;dr the Alliance party are peeling off DUP voters.

Due to the constitutional arrangements there, there isn’t a lot of faith that there will be a government as the DUP are refusing to go into government - if they’re second - unless the NI protocol is scrapped.

That’s obviously something that only the UK government can agree to, it’s not in the power of Stormont.

So you’d have the bizarre scenario of a party that’s just had its arse kicked in the election trying to hold a metaphorical gun to the head of the UKG to enact something which NI has just voted against. 

I honestly knew fuck all about its potential ramifications in comparison to the more mundane council elections until I was on AJ this morning and it was in their top 3 stories:

Northern Ireland poised to make history as UK votes | Elections News | Al Jazeera

5 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I honestly knew fuck all about its potential ramifications in comparison to the more mundane council elections until I was on AJ this morning and it was in their top 3 stories:

Northern Ireland poised to make history as UK votes | Elections News | Al Jazeera

NI is not Scotland and the situation there is very different from that in Scotland however what I think is very interesting and *does* cut across to Scotland is how the UKG deals with the situation there, particularly when it comes to arguments in and around Indy

14 folk had voted when i went in just now lol,, very very slow the lady said.. I just voted alba first and although I told myself I couldn’t vote for the snp when sturgeon was still leader, i gave them number 2. I found out yesterday the woke mob and the woke msp associates hate the snp candidate and really want her to fail so much so they have given zero support to the candidate, disgraceful behaviour and just shows the priorities of those woke infiltrators, so alba and Snp for me 

Ours was that quiet at 9am the bloke thought I wasn't on the register - wasn't until the supervisor came over and explained, for whatever reason, the even numbers are listed first for the street then the odds after over the page! 

Karen Adam?

57 minutes ago, aaid said:

NI is not Scotland and the situation there is very different from that in Scotland however what I think is very interesting and *does* cut across to Scotland is how the UKG deals with the situation there, particularly when it comes to arguments in and around Indy

It is interesting.  Like you said, the UKG pay very little attention to NI until something drastic - or potentially drastic - happens.  Partly, I think, because NI is that bit more remote than Scotland but mainly because Scotland is valuable to them, which NI no longer is (it was a century ago, though, which is why NI is a thing at all).

I was thinking to myself the other day that 20 years ago - maybe even more recently than that - a Sinn Fein government in Belfast and an SNP government in Edinburgh would be the stuff of "what-ifs"; now it is a distinct possibility!