French Election - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, aaid said:

58/42 Macron

BBC News seem to be going with the Ruth Davidson Marine le Pen is the real winner lines though 

They seem to froth with excitement every time the possibility arises. I can remember the Netherlands, one in Scandinavia I think where far right could have held the balance, Austria, Hungary, Belarus (although far left I suppose) and a couple of other Eastern European countries just off the top of my head.

It's quite disturbing really.

10 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

They seem to froth with excitement every time the possibility arises. I can remember the Netherlands, one in Scandinavia I think where far right could have held the balance, Austria, Hungary, Belarus (although far left I suppose) and a couple of other Eastern European countries just off the top of my head.

It's quite disturbing really.

What in the world are you talking about? The BBC are notoriously status quo, neoliberal in their politics. They were clearly opposed to Scottish independence, Brexit and any kind of populist government  whether it be far left or right. 

I wouldn't call this an "impartial" headline

Screenshot_20220424-135749.png

Anti Macron rallies kicking off in France which seem to be based on the election being rigged by the globalists

Seems to be a recurring theme

Edit - it is worth pointing out that 42% of the electorate voted for an actual Nazi party - in France

Edited by Ally Bongo

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Anti Macron rallies kicking off in France which seem to be based on the election being rigged by the globalists

Edit - it is worth pointing out that 42% of the electorate voted for an actual Nazi party - in France

I don't know about an actual Nazi party, however folk wanting her to win for essentially the "lulz" is a worrying trend of dumbfuckery. Although at the same time oddly comforting to see the generation coming up behind mine hasn't acquired any political wisdom in line, so we have that in common.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

So if Le Pen had won the election would her pal Putin have invaded France to rid it of nazi’s.

It’s a peculiarity of the French presidential election system that they have this two stage system whereby only the top two candidates go through to the run offs which means that in the second round a large section of the electorate - in this case 50% - are disenfranchised which causes huge 

The was only a 1.2% difference in the first round between Le Pen and Malenchon the biggest polling left wing candidate, so it could easily have been a run off with him and Macron.  I’m not suggesting he’d have won but the narrative would’ve been very different.

if you want to understand why people would vote for a party or a person who’s views are an anathema to them, in this case le Pen, then you just need to look at the last UK GE in England.  It’s what happens when the “side” that’s supposed to be on side ignores your needs and wants for years and has a leader that you hate even more than the alternative.

I’d wait until the parliamentary elections in a few weeks to get a feel for the political landscape in France  

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

An actual Nazi party you say. 😀😀😀😀

Amazing. Tell us more about how there are no Nazis in Ukraine though.

This is hilarious.

Wait till you find out there are Nazi sympathisers everywhere

In Ukraine they got 3% of the popular vote

In France they just got 42%

that legacy is a controversial one to say the least. Jean-Marie Le Pen co-founded the National Front in 1972, accepting one-time Nazi collaborators into its ranks. In 2012, he was convicted of contesting crimes against humanity for saying that Nazi occupation of France was "not particularly inhumane." And in 2015, he called Nazi gas chambers "a detail of history."

3 hours ago, aaid said:

It’s a peculiarity of the French presidential election system that they have this two stage system whereby only the top two candidates go through to the run offs which means that in the second round a large section of the electorate - in this case 50% - are disenfranchised which causes huge 

The was only a 1.2% difference in the first round between Le Pen and Malenchon the biggest polling left wing candidate, so it could easily have been a run off with him and Macron.  I’m not suggesting he’d have won but the narrative would’ve been very different.

if you want to understand why people would vote for a party or a person who’s views are an anathema to them, in this case le Pen, then you just need to look at the last UK GE in England.  It’s what happens when the “side” that’s supposed to be on side ignores your needs and wants for years and has a leader that you hate even more than the alternative.

I’d wait until the parliamentary elections in a few weeks to get a feel for the political landscape in France  

Indeed.

It is also misinterpreted that young people are apathetic to politics when they don't vote. This is not true, it is more so that young people just feel that their views are not being represented and feel completely disenfranchised from the political system. Young people clearly care about a lot of different issues but there are not many people speaking for them.

In addition, we live in a society where there is an illusion of democracy, it's not really democratic. Once a government has been voted into power there is no way to really hold them accountable for their actions. They can effectively do whatever they want, then when it comes round to the next election say "vote for us, the other guy is worse". This is effectively the race to the bottom politics that has lead us to where we are today. 

40 years of neoliberal, Thatcherite, trickle up economics in a pseudodemocratic, capitalist society has made people a little bit pissed off. The collapse will come, it's just a case of when.