Shaun Maloney Punted - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Shaun Maloney Punted

Following the trend up short termism in football.

How is a manager meant to turn around a club in 4 months. Especially when the club sells its best forward player and then its next best gets injured for the rest of season.

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Should give this one to James McPake (sorry for spelling) - he was doing good work at Dundee before being harshly treated by them.

😂😂 Thats the worst take on any subject ever written on here.

Second shocking sacking decision from the Hibs board this season. If things were bad enough to sack Jack Ross beforehand, what's the expectation for Maloney's 4 months when you sell their best player and don't buy anyone? If he was the right appointment then, they should stick with that decision until he's had a proper length of time to implement change.

Best available candidate for the role is Jack Ross, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

If I were a Hibs supporter :shuddersatthethoughtofit: I'd be VERY worried, he never had a chance to develop anything, the team he had is rubbish but it wasn't his team, what could anyone do with that group? to punt him after such a short time just stinks of a short term mentality, they'll NEVER get a decent manager to walk into that club and turn it into a successful one without a huge amount of investment, they just don't have the collective mental attitude to be successful. 

This may well be a naive question/statement ; but do clubs actively table their expectations on hire on of new coach/mgr - general work/office is life is rife now with performance evaluations / KPIs and all that sort of pish even if youre in charge of ordering staplers for the office etc - is there an expectation ; voiced / or written that say Hibs finish in top 6 and get to semi finals every 2nd season etc - or is this just retrospectively applied after fan pressure  ; "losing the dressing room" could be another clause

- from memory at pittodrie - Ebbe Skovdahl , Jimmy Calderwood and Derek McInnes were all punted with the reason being 'taken us as far as they can' think SMilne said about Ebbe we were losing to Partick when he took over and we're still losing to Partick

16 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

If I were a Hibs supporter :shuddersatthethoughtofit: I'd be VERY worried, he never had a chance to develop anything, the team he had is rubbish but it wasn't his team, what could anyone do with that group? to punt him after such a short time just stinks of a short term mentality, they'll NEVER get a decent manager to walk into that club and turn it into a successful one without a huge amount of investment, they just don't have the collective mental attitude to be successful. 

Did he even get the chance to bring in any of his own players?  His record, I think it's fair to say, wasn't brilliant, but to sack someone after just four months is very harsh indeed.  Makes me wonder if there might have been something going on in the background that hasn't been made public.

8 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

This may well be a naive question/statement ; but do clubs actively table their expectations on hire on of new coach/mgr - general work/office is life is rife now with performance evaluations / KPIs and all that sort of pish even if youre in charge of ordering staplers for the office etc - is there an expectation ; voiced / or written that say Hibs finish in top 6 and get to semi finals every 2nd season etc - or is this just retrospectively applied after fan pressure  ; "losing the dressing room" could be another clause

- from memory at pittodrie - Ebbe Skovdahl , Jimmy Calderwood and Derek McInnes were all punted with the reason being 'taken us as far as they can' think SMilne said about Ebbe we were losing to Partick when he took over and we're still losing to Partick

The ignominy!  🤣

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Did he even get the chance to bring in any of his own players?  His record, I think it's fair to say, wasn't brilliant, but to sack someone after just four months is very harsh indeed.  Makes me wonder if there might have been something going on in the background that hasn't been made public.

Definitely a very strange and reactionary way to run a club, Maloney clearly was no idiot, did well with Belgium and will have had some excellent contacts, self harm by the Hobos IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Definitely a very strange and reactionary way to run a club, Maloney clearly was no idiot, did well with Belgium and will have had some excellent contacts, self harm by the Hobos IMO. 

Even with the drag factor of Gary Caldwell, it's still perfectly possible that he could have turned things around.  He certainly should have been given more time; until the end of the season at least.

Maybe they are still haunted by the Terry Butcher experience - going from midtable to the play-offs, then relegation to the Championship.

I think alot of Scottish clubs are afraid of major change. 

Maloney strikes me as the type of manager who would change how alot of things were done. How players eat, rest, train etc

It was the same at Hearts with Cathro. He wanted to do things with much more of a modern continental approach. Probably the same could be said of Le Guen at Rangers.

This type of major change needs the full support of the club as it never comes easy and always has resistence.

The thing that confuses me is you would imagine all 3 of the above set their vision our very clearly at their interview and was probably what the boards bought into.

I think it probably comes down to short termism where the board is worried about season ticket renewals and punts the manager to get the tickets sold. Then just revert back to the run of the mill manager.

Stupid thing is, clubs like Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts need to do something really different if they ever want to close the gap to the Old Firm.

On 5/3/2022 at 6:28 AM, Bzzzz said:

he was a No 2 only thought with Belgium ? bit easier if your not directly in the line of fire , an working with some of the best players in the world ...

On 5/3/2022 at 1:50 PM, scotlad said:

Even with the drag factor of Gary Caldwell, it's still perfectly possible that he could have turned things around.  He certainly should have been given more time; until the end of the season at least.

Maybe they are still haunted by the Terry Butcher experience - going from midtable to the play-offs, then relegation to the Championship.

Aye, Butcher was magic eh?

20 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Any Hibs fans on here? It's all looking rather underwhelming or any cause for excitement?

Indeed, favourite seems to be ex jambo Lee Johnson who’s usual No2 is Jamie Mcallister also ex jambo. Embarrassingly enough we’ll probably take them if they’re cheap, club is a shambles at present