Stephen Kingsley - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stephen Kingsley

Guest Scot1

Guest Scot1

With Kieran Tierney a doubt for our upcoming games would the inclusion of Kingsley be a good option within the squad?

Im not a Hearts supporter but he seems to have had a very good season with 6 goals from the left side of a back 3. 
Obviously I’m not saying he’s near the class/level of Tierney, but it has been a problem for us replacing Tierney with a player of a similar style in playing the position, does Kingsley play in a similar manner to Tierney?

I said this on the other thread a couple of days ago. He’s by far the best like-for-like player in place of Tierney but he’ll no be thrown into the play-off matches. He’s having a great season though!

“I’m no a Hearts fan but my laddie is so I see a lot of Hearts. By far and away the best player to replace Tierney would be Stephen Kingsley. Left sided centre-back who also overlaps to great effect. 
He’s having a great season but no chance Clarke would throw him in to these matches.”

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

I said this on the other thread a couple of days ago. He’s by far the best like-for-like player in place of Tierney but he’ll no be thrown into the play-off matches. He’s having a great season though!

“I’m no a Hearts fan but my laddie is so I see a lot of Hearts. By far and away the best player to replace Tierney would be Stephen Kingsley. Left sided centre-back who also overlaps to great effect. 
He’s having a great season but no chance Clarke would throw him in to these matches.”

Was at the match today and thought he played well. Solid in defence and excellent strike for the goal. When he was in EPL with Swansea he must have been close to a call up but lost his way a bit at Hull. Seems to be back on top form and shows he has versitility to play on left hand side of a central three.

Guest Scot1
3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Sorry, I never saw your previous post about Kingsley or I wouldn’t have started this thread. 
I haven’t seen a lot of him myself, but he does seem to play the role in a similar way to Tierney. We do have other good left-sided centre halves (McKenna, Cooper) but they are more orthodox defenders and aren’t so offensive minded. 
I can’t think of anyone else who we could call upon who plays the position the way Tierney does. 
Reading the Hearts forum, they’re delighted with his performances this season and many of them say he’s been their best player over the season. And Hearts have had a pretty good season. 
You’re probably right about Clarke not throwing him in to the next set of matches, but Clarke has at times called up and played uncapped players when the situation warranted it. Andrew Considine, Paul McGinn, even John Souttar after a long lay off from internationals. 
I think if his form stays good, I think he may well be called into the squad sooner or later. It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on in Europe next season. 

Guest Scot1
1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

What about Hickey ? Been involved with the squad lately too 

He’s never played as a left-sided centre half to my knowledge. I’d go with Kingsley ahead of him to cover Tierney. He’s played the position for Hearts and you’d hope his age / experience would allow him to slot right in. 
If Tierney isn’t available in June, it does cause a major headache, we saw that in the Euros. If Kingsley is the most suitable replacement, I’d go with him, uncapped or not.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:36 AM, Scot1 said:

Sorry, I never saw your previous post about Kingsley or I wouldn’t have started this thread. 
I haven’t seen a lot of him myself, but he does seem to play the role in a similar way to Tierney. We do have other good left-sided centre halves (McKenna, Cooper) but they are more orthodox defenders and aren’t so offensive minded. 
I can’t think of anyone else who we could call upon who plays the position the way Tierney does. 
Reading the Hearts forum, they’re delighted with his performances this season and many of them say he’s been their best player over the season. And Hearts have had a pretty good season. 
You’re probably right about Clarke not throwing him in to the next set of matches, but Clarke has at times called up and played uncapped players when the situation warranted it. Andrew Considine, Paul McGinn, even John Souttar after a long lay off from internationals. 
I think if his form stays good, I think he may well be called into the squad sooner or later. It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on in Europe next season. 

Thanks to both of you for bringing him up. Obviously he isn't anywhere near the level of KT but as you've both said he is probably the most natural replacement for the role KT plays for Scotland. Technically good player with a wand of a left peg. 

Clarke does generally reward good domestic form ie. Gallagher, Considine, P. McGinn, Hanlon & Halkett so as we will need a big squad for the June fixtures if KT doesn't make it i  would actually be surprised if he wasn't called up. 

Hickey is taller than Kingsley but like you said Scot1 i don't think he has ever played left of a back 3. The only other i can think of who might long term be a capable KT deputy is Josh Doig, he is tall & athletic enough though i feel he has maybe stagnated this season, whenever I've seen him play he still looks very raw so not even close to being ready to step up. 

I watch Kingsley every week, he's solid, was over the moon when he signed the new contract. 

Obviously he's got a great freekick on him, he's no the same wing back style player as Tierney but I'd say he's a great option, he's no feart of anyone either.