Still game (Covid binge) - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Still game (Covid binge)

Having been fecked with the plague for the last ten days or so i decided to re-watch still game, Noticeable How good the first 4/5 series was. Some real laugh out loud moments from all of the cast, Then it got a bit stale, laziness? complacency? job done? I reckon the writers got a bit bored with it tbh and the later series was just full of toilet humour, wee neds and cliches, Just my opinion of course, Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 12:43 PM, dj mick said:

Having been fecked with the plague for the last ten days or so i decided to re-watch still game, Noticeable How good the first 4/5 series was. Some real laugh out loud moments from all of the cast, Then it got a bit stale, laziness? complacency? job done? I reckon the writers got a bit bored with it tbh and the later series was just full of toilet humour, wee neds and cliches, Just my opinion of course, Thoughts?

Did the same thing not happen with rab c nesbitt - after a few seasons they brought in wee burnie / or more of him and that other skinny kid and got really crude - was never a huge fan but recall my parents gave it a wide berth in later seasons

10 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Did the same thing not happen with rab c nesbitt - after a few seasons they brought in wee burnie / or more of him and that other skinny kid and got really crude - was never a huge fan but recall my parents gave it a wide berth in later seasons

I’m not sure Rab C Nesbitt was ever funny? 

Still Game series one, two and three were superb.

The writing was sharp and a big thing was that the characters were relatable to so many people, we all had elderly relations exactly like Jack, Vic, Winston, Isa or Tam.

Another thing about the first three series was that they also based entire episodes around big issues that affect the elderly then and now such as loneliness, boredom, estrangement from family, money worries, coping with the death of a spouse, finding love again, staying active, feeling safe on the streets, the importance of having pals etc.

Unfortunately, for some reason, series four suddenly nosedived in quality. Every single episode of that series was rubbish. It was top heavy with sexual and scatological humour, and the episode where the bus driver's depression was the butt of the joke looks appalling today.

Series Five was mixed in quality. It had two of the best episodes of the whole show (namely where the boys go boating doon the Kelvin and where they try and do up Isa's flat) yet it also had some rather underwhelming ones. Tam and Frances (that latter character was such a buzzkill) having a kid was where the show went too far.

After that it became as other people have said before on this forum kind of like a Glaswegian version of "Last of the Summer Wine" too much cutesy high jinks and little of the sharp dialogue and relatable plots of the earlier series.

16 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It looks horrible today. Why did people find this trash funny ?

A show about an alcoholic, wifebeating, weanbeating, scumbag layabout and his best mate who is a borderline sex offender. It also knowingly played up to stereotypes about Glasgow and it's people.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

i thought the sketches on naked video were enough tbh , no not enough material for a whole series , but it was very popular and "of its time" - off at a tangent but another famous Scottish tv show from the same stable? Tony Roper, Jonathan Watson etc overstayed its shelf life ..... i recall seeing the whole squad of them in Turn at Itly 90 in costume as fans but pretty sure would of stayed in the gear for the brazil game - was pissing with rain by the burger vans

16 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

- was pissing with rain by the burger vans

That's where we watched the game - on a burger van's 12 inch TV

Never got a ticket

When I was living there and the BBC was still in the west end I had a chance meeting with the main guys in Still Game at that roll and sausage stand at the top of Byers Rd. The taller of the two main guys came across as an utter wank. Anyone who has had a successful career in BBC Scotland or ITV is by definition a sell out wank of the highest order. Those utter cunts that did the macglashin shite are the same. Rab c… ffs do you see the pattern. Always running us down in some way.

14 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Wee Burnie and his brother, Gash, were in Rab C. Nesbitt from the beginning (the actor who played Wee Burnie died very young though, IRC). 

Rab C. Nesbitt was funny when it came out at first in the late 80s/early 90s but reviving it 10 years ago or whenever it was was a huge mistake - that was when it just got silly and crude.

The first few series of Still Game were excellent but the quality definitely nosedived. I think it set the bar for itself too high, but I also feel they consciously toned down some of the overt Scottishness, most probably - but unnecessarily - to appeal to a "wider audience".

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

That's where we watched the game - on a burger van's 12 inch TV

Never got a ticket

Didnt miss much then - thought the atmosphere was crap inside - could of been the game tho

was back there couple of years later to see dons v torino ; way smaller crowd ( and another defeat ) but enjoyed it better

may have been the introduction to jagermeister day drinking too though

59 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Didnt miss much then - thought the atmosphere was crap inside - could of been the game tho

was back there couple of years later to see dons v torino ; way smaller crowd ( and another defeat ) but enjoyed it better

may have been the introduction to jagermeister day drinking too though

A wee brazilian lass with enormous chebs asked to swop shirts with me

I didnt fancy walking back to the train station topless as her shirt was too small so i said no to the disgust of my pals

I eventually swopped tops at the station with a smelly Brazilian bearded tramp and still have it somewhere in the hoose

And Greg Hemphill joined the SNP in 2014 and is very pro Indy

Unsurprisingly Gregor Fisher was a prominent nawbag with the "we should be coming together not splitting up" trope in 2014.

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

A wee brazilian lass with enormous chebs asked to swop shirts with me

I didnt fancy walking back to the train station topless as her shirt was too small so i said no to the disgust of my pals

I eventually swopped tops at the station with a smelly Brazilian bearded tramp and still have it somewhere in the hoose

Fantastic word 😄