Stand Cricket - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stand Cricket

biffer

Out in the middle East this week, qualifying one day games for the next world cup.

Won the first three (2 v Papua New Guinea, 1 v Oman). Currently playing Oman again in what might be another tight one.

Lots of Scotland cricket this summer - two sets of four ODIs in the qualifying tournament plus 2 T20s and an odi vs New Zealand.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BBC have given extensive coverage to this - albeit cricket being a fringe sport in Scotland

Added to that it is absolutely riddled with Unionists

On 7/24/2022 at 9:11 PM, Ally Bongo said:

The BBC have given extensive coverage to this - albeit cricket being a fringe sport in Scotland

Added to that it is absolutely riddled with Unionists

It is depressing to read. The racism is by far the most important issue and completely unacceptable but you also suspect the national team might well have been more successful! 

At one point this was the second story on the BBC news which given the minority status of the game in Scotland does make you very suspicious of the editorial decision making. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

What is "Stand Cricket"?

When I started this thread way back, I typed to quickly and the c, o, and l of Scotland got missed out. Didn't notice until it was too late to edit it.

1 hour ago, biffer said:

When I started this thread way back, I typed to quickly and the c, o, and l of Scotland got missed out. Didn't notice until it was too late to edit it.

😂

I thought they had invented a new form of cricket. Another new form that is. It's hard to keep up with all the different formats these days. 😂

• 8 months later...

We blew Irelands top order away but for some reason let them get to 280 plus. Then we never looked like getting there for a long time. Think we were 154/7 at one point. Superb result but its a really tough gig to qualify when the Windies and Sri Lanka are in the qualifying tournament. 

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

What a win against the West Indies today. It’s still a massive ask to finish in the top 2. We need Sri Lanka to beat Zimbabwe tomorrow and then we need to win our last 2 games. 

Is that twice now we've beaten the Windies?  For anyone like me who grew up with the fantastic teams of the 70s and 80s that is simply incredible. A teenage me would never have believed it were possible.

Edited by Hertsscot

50 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Is that twice now we've beaten the Windies?  For anyone like me who grew up with the fantastic teams of the 70s and 80s that is simply incredible. A teenage me would never have believed it were possible.

First time in ODIs. Beat them in T20 last year. Would have beaten them in the World Cup qualifying tournament last time (2018) as well if it wasn’t for an outrageously bad umpiring decision.

4 hours ago, biffer said:

First time in ODIs. Beat them in T20 last year. Would have beaten them in the World Cup qualifying tournament last time (2018) as well if it wasn’t for an outrageously bad umpiring decision.

Incredible stuff!  

On 7/1/2023 at 6:26 PM, Hertsscot said:

Seen them play Scotland at the grange late 80s early 90s Brian Lara, Courtney Walsh, Curtly Ambrose, Shivnarine Chanderpaul et al. They were drinking, handing out pizzas to fans and generally just treating the match as a jolly, never thought we’d be beating them in a competitive game

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Great start by the Scots in the field today!

Zimbabwe still favourites but they've given themselves a chance. 

Scotland win by 31 runs. They've beaten three member sides now

One more win secures it

21 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Scotland win by 31 runs. They've beaten three member sides now

One more win secures it

Huge result for Scottish cricket let’s not fuck this up against the Dutch on Thursday