World Cup Finals Draw - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Finals Draw

Caledonian Craig

Spent the last hour looking at the only game I'd make which is Iran and leaving 23rd Nov and returning 27th Nov. I have taken every European airport that has flights arriving in Doha today as a guide and gone direct from there in an effort to use that European city as a stop on route to try and keep the price down. Absolutely zero luck, cost is about the same from everywhere at approximately £1100 and considering you can do Edinburgh direct for £1150 it seems there's no deals to be had. 

Should we qualify I really would love to go but I feel priced out of this when you consider I wouldn't go without my boy who I'd also be paying for. I've also no interest in a "day trip" which has two 7 hour flights. Then you add in the fact that game kicks off at 1pm.

I looked at hotels too apparently all sold out so I can't even gauge cost!

Anyone got any better ideas?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Spent the last hour looking at the only game I'd make which is Iran and leaving 23rd Nov and returning 27th Nov. I have taken every European airport that has flights arriving in Doha today as a guide and gone direct from there in an effort to use that European city as a stop on route to try and keep the price down. Absolutely zero luck, cost is about the same from everywhere at approximately £1100 and considering you can do Edinburgh direct for £1150 it seems there's no deals to be had. 

Should we qualify I really would love to go but I feel priced out of this when you consider I wouldn't go without my boy who I'd also be paying for. I've also no interest in a "day trip" which has two 7 hour flights. Then you add in the fact that game kicks off at 1pm.

Wait until 2026?

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

football is rotten now.  I can’t decide if that’s my view cos I’m older and like the “glory days” of 70s and 80s.  I really don’t have much interest in going to Qatar.  Feels like a plastic World Cup.  

I'm the same. I have zero interest in going to this World Cup. Never even considered it for a second. It won't be a proper World Cup.

I am definitely interested in going, should we qualify, however it is s logistical and cost nightmare...

All accomodation in Qatar is sold through official WC2022 website, and you have to key in ticket numbers to book anything. Therefore by the time we get tickets, there could be nothing left.

I have booked a hotel in Dubai for 10 days (free canx) and may fly in and out, but that will be even more expensive..

Apparently it is a 6 hour drive from Dubai to Doha, but as it goes through Saudi, I'm not sure if you can do it, without border issues..

9 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

I am definitely interested in going, should we qualify, however it is s logistical and cost nightmare...

All accomodation in Qatar is sold through official WC2022 website, and you have to key in ticket numbers to book anything. Therefore by the time we get tickets, there could be nothing left.

I have booked a hotel in Dubai for 10 days (free canx) and may fly in and out, but that will be even more expensive..

Apparently it is a 6 hour drive from Dubai to Doha, but as it goes through Saudi, I'm not sure if you can do it, without border issues..

I'd drive happily but its getting to Dubai or anywhere else within 500miles cheaply to make driving worth it.

1 hour ago, Mazziessc said:

Only other potential option is to see what Wonky Sheep come up with. They sent out a survey a few weeks ago with options to gauge interest. Don’t know what the feedback was from that though. They’ll maybe announce plans in more detail if we qualify. 

I’m in the same boat as you. Any potential trip would include my laddie so the daft costs are immediately doubled. 

Edited by McTeeko

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, thplinth said:

Just had a look at the stadium there on google maps. Wow. How in the name of fuck could they award a world cup to country this small. There is nothing to Qatar. It is so ridiculous having a world cup there on so many different levels... The bribe must have been truly massive. Incredible.

I knew the amount of money paid in bribes just to award the world cup to a country so completely unsuited to hosting it must have been truly massive but amazingly I read there that is actually illegal to be gay in Qatar! Man this adds a whole new level of insanity to it.

The bribes must have been so super massive that people just got that point where they would literally have sucked Satan's cock for that amount of money. Incredible. 😀

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

I knew the amount of money paid in bribes just to award the world cup to a country so completely unsuited to hosting it must have been truly massive but amazingly I read there that is actually illegal to be gay in Qatar! Man this adds a whole new level of insanity to it.

The bribes must have been so super massive that people just got that point where they would literally have sucked Satan's cock for that amount of money. Incredible. 😀

Makes a mockery of all the ‘Respect’ bollocks – needs an asterisk and small print noted ‘ethics and morals subject to a shit load of wedge’

If you’re stuck in the middle of a desert too in a porta-cabin with not a lot to do and likely relatively sober bored of Scrabble, hours until the next Wordle, trying out analisation may be one thing to elevate the boredom and maybe even just a way to keep warm on the chilly evenings. 

Not really that bothered we missed out on the potentially the shittest and dearest camping holiday in human history to be honest.     

8 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Not really that bothered we missed out on the potentially the shittest and dearest camping holiday in human history to be honest.     

This. Miss out on German 24 and I'll be proper upset though.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Australia qualify for the World Cup beating Peru 5-4 on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

They played pretty well, had a proper go. Must be on the weakest teams on paper mind you. Even by Australian standards this is a limited team but fair play to them. 

46 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Australia qualify for the World Cup beating Peru 5-4 on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

Well at least they'll be one Scottish player at the World Cup in Harry Souttar

Edited by todd

15 hours ago, Toepoke said:

This. Miss out on German 24 and I'll be proper upset though.

Yeah and me mate - that could be a cracker and would love take the wee lass to that one as her uncle and cousin live in Berlin so could be an absolutely amazing trip.  

Labouring the point slightly I was more disappointed at missing out on the Women's Euros in England as could have taken her to a couple of games with a full(ish) crowd as she seems to be getting well into it rather than the plastic tournament over there.  Maybe sour grapes and I'd have chucked my morals under the bus had we qualified but I honestly don't think I would (or my wife would have authorised the spending required is probably more truthful)

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Labouring the point slightly I was more disappointed at missing out on the Women's Euros in England as could have taken her to a couple of games with a full(ish) crowd as she seems to be getting well into it rather than the plastic tournament over there.  

Totally agree, took the kids to France for the Women's World Cup and it was a brilliant experience.

Such a shame about the Euros, we really screwed that campaign up badly 😟

3 hours ago, dan cake said:

Delighted for him, should be in a Scotland shirt tho. Ridiculous from Mcleish that he wasn’t capped for us.

I think I read that he was going to call him up for the Costa Rica game but Boyle was injured.  A few months after he decided he was going to represent Australia.  Fair enough.  If his aim was to play in the World Cup his decision has paid off.  I wasn't all that bothered at the time but he'd have surely made the Scotland squad at some point and he'd have given us a different attacking option.

Losing the boy Souttar to Australia annoys me more though.

37 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Totally agree, took the kids to France for the Women's World Cup and it was a brilliant experience.

Such a shame about the Euros, we really screwed that campaign up badly 😟

Were we not top seeds in the qualifying group too?

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Were we not top seeds in the qualifying group too?

Yeah mate - we were the second lowest pot 1 side but drew the second lowest pot 2 side (Finland) and best pot 3 side (Portugal).  

Whole campaign was a shambles probably best summed up by this:  

46 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Yeah mate - we were the second lowest pot 1 side but drew the second lowest pot 2 side (Finland) and best pot 3 side (Portugal).  

Whole campaign was a shambles probably best summed up by this:  

Dearie me.  I take it they had to win that game, hence why they were pushed right up the park 3 minutes into injury time?

Something ironic about the lassie getting blootered in the face while scoring the winner.  Reminds me of Duncan Shearer injuring himself while scoring for Scotland - against Finland in '94!

34 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Dearie me.  I take it they had to win that game, hence why they were pushed right up the park 3 minutes into injury time?

Something ironic about the lassie getting blootered in the face while scoring the winner.  Reminds me of Duncan Shearer injuring himself while scoring for Scotland - against Finland in '94!

Yeah that was game 6 of 8 and needed to win that even for a playoff chance from memory - we lost all 4 games vs Pot 2 and 3.  There just seemed a massive hangover from the World Cup.  

The other thing was Portugal got knocked out in the playoff by Russia but got a walk through instead with what's going on.  

Sqeeky bum this campaign too as will probably need at least a draw away to Ukraine end of the month to get a playoff:

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup qualification – UEFA Group B - Wikipedia