World Cup Finals Draw - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Finals Draw

Caledonian Craig

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So all other confederations getting a far bigger increase than UEFA.

Asia's qualifiers going up by 100% from 4 to 8.

Africa's qualifiers going up by 80% from 5 to 9.

North American/Caribbean qualifiers going up by 100% from 3 to 6 (but that will be down to it being hosted by USA/Canada/Mexico.

South American qualifiers going up by 60% from 4 to 6 (bear in mind only ten countries in the South American groups so will be harder not to qualify than qualify).

European qualifiers going up by 23% from 13 to 16. 

60% of CONMEBOL teams will qualify in 2026.

29% of UEFA teams.

17% of CONCACAF, Africa and Asia

9% of Oceania 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

North American/Caribbean qualifiers going up by 100% from 3 to 6 (but that will be down to it being hosted by USA/Canada/Mexico.

South American qualifiers going up by 60% from 4 to 6 (bear in mind only ten countries in the South American groups so will be harder not to qualify than qualify).

Yep, another fuckin virtue signalling woke fest! 

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes, correct. I think the feeling is UEFA already get too many slots, hence the tiny increase. More from the other confederations as they look to develop the game I guess but it will only serve to dilute the overall quality of the finals tournament.

Edited by morrie21

Saw that they hadn't decided on the desert camping capacity yet as were awaiting an idea of demand.  Seems a bit backwards and doesn't give the impression they're that bothered about 'affordable accommodation'

Weird feeling as part of me would be relieved if we didn't make it because I'll either have to spunk stupid money visiting a desert mirage that appears about as much fun as an arse exam or not go and worry if I've spunked my last chance of seeing us in a world cup.

18 hours ago, McTeeko said:

The stadiums are being dismantled and shipped to Africa to be rebuilt there. That was a massive point in their bid and the main reason they were awarded the tournament

I'm pleased someone else is aware of this.

I knew I had read it somewhere, but anyone I mentioned it to seemed unaware of it 

It is s fantastic idea, however how will they go about ensuring this will happen .?

Now that the draw is out of the way I'd say anybody calling for a bye to the finals for Ukraine are to be disappointed. I cannot see any way that will happen now for several reasons. What group would be handicapped with having to play an extra fixture with four matches in it and what competing countries would agree to it? It would wreak havoc on the whole schedule as well so a bye can be ruled out.

That being the case how long can FIFA/UEFA hang this out without impacting on the potential Finals preparations of Wales and Scotland? If they have not resolved this by June then the next window would be September which is just three months before the Finals kick-off. It would be asking Scotland or Wales to have no real choices for hotels/training facilities and forced into perhaps sub-standard facilities. 

FIFA/UEFA have to set a June deadline and say the semi-final cannot be delayed again. Apparently, Ukraine side Dynamo Kiev are sending a team out to play friendlies around Europe shortly so they can manage to put a team together what with a number of players also based outwith Ukraine.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Now that the draw is out of the way I'd say anybody calling for a bye to the finals for Ukraine are to be disappointed. I cannot see any way that will happen now for several reasons. What group would be handicapped with having to play an extra fixture with four matches in it and what competing countries would agree to it? It would wreak havoc on the whole schedule as well so a bye can be ruled out.

That being the case how long can FIFA/UEFA hang this out without impacting on the potential Finals preparations of Wales and Scotland? If they have not resolved this by June then the next window would be September which is just three months before the Finals kick-off. It would be asking Scotland or Wales to have no real choices for hotels/training facilities and forced into perhaps sub-standard facilities. 

FIFA/UEFA have to set a June deadline and say the semi-final cannot be delayed again. Apparently, Ukraine side Dynamo Kiev are sending a team out to play friendlies around Europe shortly so they can manage to put a team together what with a number of players also based outwith Ukraine.

Also there will be pressure from Panini, they need to get the sticker books ready.  👍😉🤔

( My son's major concern) 

8 minutes ago, stocky said:

Also there will be pressure from Panini, they need to get the sticker books ready.  👍😉🤔

( My son's major concern) 

😂

Jeez that brings back memories. I remember the 1986 book with the mascot Pique on one of the stickers.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Yes, correct. I think the feeling is UEFA already get too many slots, hence the tiny increase. More from the other confederations as they look to develop the game I guess but it will only serve to dilute the overall quality of the finals tournament.

I'm not against expanding the World Cup but I think the proposed format of three team groups is a terrible idea.

57 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'm not against expanding the World Cup but I think the proposed format of three team groups is a terrible idea.

My initial reaction was to be agaisnt it as well, but apparently, if you get to the final, you'll play the exact same amount of games as now. There will only be 16 more games in total, but allow an extra 16 countries to be involved.

From a Scottish point of view, I think it's a good thing. We'll have a better chance of qualifying. And if we do, the level of country we play may be weaker, (if we are lucky with the draw) thus giving us a better chance to get out the group.

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

My initial reaction was to be agaisnt it as well, but apparently, if you get to the final, you'll play the exact same amount of games as now. There will only be 16 more games in total, but allow an extra 16 countries to be involved.

From a Scottish point of view, I think it's a good thing. We'll have a better chance of qualifying. And if we do, the level of country we play may be weaker, (if we are lucky with the draw) thus giving us a better chance to get out the group.

With that system I'd guess seedings would be three-tiered and Scotland likely (if we qualify) to be in amongst the second seeds.

17 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Proof of the pudding will come in 2026, but it seems very harsh to send 16 teams home after playing just twice (and 16 more after playing 3 games).

Certainly it will change the established narrative of group stage football.

Edited by Toepoke

36 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Proof of the pudding will come in 2026, but it seems very harsh to send 16 teams home after playing just twice (and 16 more after playing 3 games).

Could also lead to defensive football and a lot of draws. Two draws probably (but not definitely) gets you though. The two teams playing in the last game have a big advantage knowing exactly what they need to do, whilst the third sits and watches them play out a 0-0, or whatever scoreline is required to get both teams through. On the other hand win your first game by a couple of goals and that would probably be enough.

Edited by Orraloon

28 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I see what you mean, but 2 is better than none. It'll also reduce the chances of big countries missing out. I reckon Italy missing the last couple of tournaments will have influenced this decision. Same goes for some of the African and South American nations that missed out. Salah, for example, not playing this year is a blow. 

Rightly or wrongly, the big players bring in the viewers. If Messi or Ronaldo were missing, I guarantee there would be a significant difference in people tuning in.

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Could also lead to defensive football and a lot of draws. Two draws probably (but not definitely) gets you though. The two teams playing in the last game have a big advantage knowing exactly what they need to do, whilst the third sits and watches them play out a 0-0, or whatever scoreline is required to get both teams through. On the other hand win your first game by a couple of goals and that would probably be enough.

Indeed. Consider this scenario, Scotland open against Brazil and we pull off an incredible 1 nil victory. Being Scotland however we then play Australia and lose 1-0. In the final game Brazil lead Oz 2-1 at the break and knowing both are through with that scoreline they proceed to kick the ball around the centre circle for the entire second half and there's nothing we can do about it.

In short, it's a terrible format. 

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Indeed. Consider this scenario, Scotland open against Brazil and we pull off an incredible 1 nil victory. Being Scotland however we then play Australia and lose 1-0. In the final game Brazil lead Oz 2-1 at the break and knowing both are through with that scoreline they proceed to kick the ball around the centre circle for the entire second half and there's nothing we can do about it.

I agree and at that point (too late though) they will opt for a different format.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

My scenario was, Scotland draw 0-0 with New Zealand, Italy draw 0-0 with New Zealand (cos that's what Italy do). In the final game it's 1-1 at half time so both Scotland and Italy go through if it stays that way.

But then I realised that Italy would get a penalty in the last minute because somebody swore in a Scottish accent on the half way line. By that time PC will have gone so mad, that swearing will be a sending off, and automatic penalty, offence. 

It would later transpire that it was actually Liam Henderson who had sworn after being called up to play for Italy under residency rules.

😄

I think they would need to have a ruling that when three teams are tied on points, the team sitting out the last match cannot be eliminated via the table.

How to resolve that though. Drawing of lots? A 3 way penalty competition after the last game?

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

16 group winners only. Round of 32 is laughable. 

Nearly every single game would be competitive this way.

You could end up with some awful games if 32 qualified from group stage. 

That would be the neater solution, and the same number of games as the current set up.

Sending 32 teams home after two games though would be pretty brutal and a tough sell.

6 hours ago, stocky said:

I'm pleased someone else is aware of this.

I knew I had read it somewhere, but anyone I mentioned it to seemed unaware of it 

It is s fantastic idea, however how will they go about ensuring this will happen .?

One of the stadiums (Stadium 974) has been built with shipping containers. Pretty easy to dismantle and move you’d think. (The link isn’t copying here sorry).

26 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

One of the stadiums (Stadium 974) has been built with shipping containers. Pretty easy to dismantle and move you’d think. (The link isn’t copying here sorry).

It’s also the only stadium without AC, so the heat shouldn’t be a problem for anyone. 

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

It’s also the only stadium without AC, so the heat shouldn’t be a problem for anyone. 

I was curious if they were only using Stadium 975 for evening games during the group stages but there are a few earlier ones and atleast one second round match.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:17 AM, ThistleWhistle said:

Saw that they hadn't decided on the desert camping capacity yet as were awaiting an idea of demand.  Seems a bit backwards and doesn't give the impression they're that bothered about 'affordable accommodation'

Weird feeling as part of me would be relieved if we didn't make it because I'll either have to spunk stupid money visiting a desert mirage that appears about as much fun as an arse exam or not go and worry if I've spunked my last chance of seeing us in a world cup.

I'm the same. Really don't know if i could justify it in terms of money. 

Had it been somewhere like Japan Australia, South America etc then i wouldn't have thought twice. Qatar has no redeeming features.

Gonna be a strange feeling if i'm int he away end in Cardiff knowing i won't be going to Qatar if we qualify but the money is just off the scale and the trip sounds pish.