World Cup Finals Draw - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Finals Draw

Caledonian Craig

.i

17 minutes ago, stocky said:

I've heard on telly twice tonight that the Ukraine play off game is getting played on June 7th.

But it might just be lazy reporting as that's the nations league game.

Anyone heard if this is official?

So if that's right,does that mean if we win the final against Wales will be June 11(the supposed date of the Dublin game).If so,there goes more f..ing money down the drain.You would be as well throwing your money out the window these days that trying to book a Scotland trip.Unless the final gets played further down the line.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Willie Miller's tache said:

But I think you get bonus points for scoring 4 or more corner goals or losing by less than 0.5 of an average.

Yes, it was brought in to simplify after VAR came in wasn’t it

They’re also thinking of points deductions for each drinks breaks. Reward teams for pushing on through. A show of strength if you like

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

.i

So if that's right,does that mean if we win the final against Wales will be June 11(the supposed date of the Dublin game).If so,there goes more f..ing money down the drain.You would be as well throwing your money out the window these days that trying to book a Scotland trip.Unless the final gets played further down the line.

As said before, in 2011 when the nations cup game v ROI was moved the SFA compensated everyone that had to rebook hotels/flights

1 hour ago, stocky said:

I've heard on telly twice tonight that the Ukraine play off game is getting played on June 7th.

But it might just be lazy reporting as that's the nations league game.

Anyone heard if this is official?

I heard it during the draw but my brother said it was mentioned at HT in Killie/Morton game

Just now, scottincarlisle said:

I heard it during the draw but my brother said it was mentioned at HT in Killie/Morton game

That's the 2 times I heard it as well.

I don't think it's factual.

It's ebc looking at future fixtures and seeing the game in June and put 2+2 together and got 5...

31 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

I've read that 3 times and see no date..🤔 I'm away to read again...

Ahh last line.  Poss June 4th, final on 7th June then 

not confirmed..... Tho ..

Edited by stocky
Re read

6 hours ago, Saint4805 said:

Are you saying there's no chance we could be through if we beat Iran and USA before we play England?

No, not at all. There is just very little chance of us being in that position based on every tournament we have ever played in. If we do qualify and we do beat USA and Iran then we should already be through. Chances are we won’t win our first 2 games though.

Lets worry about that if we beat Ukraine and Wales though?

10 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Yes, it was brought in to simplify after VAR came in wasn’t it

They’re also thinking of points deductions for each drinks breaks. Reward teams for pushing on through. A show of strength if you like

You are forgetting the other new rule that there must be at least one draw in each group, otherwise all the teams in the group get knocked out and Ukraine (or whatever team has most recently been invaded) gets a place in the quarter finals instead. Makes sense really.

26 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

Has any of the pundits came up with englands route to the final yet

To be fair, it's our path as well ....

Screenshot_2022-04-02-07-57-22-11_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

Edited by stocky

Of the next four games that we might (just might) have in the World Cup this year, I would say Ukraine are the toughest opponents, if they can get close to their full squad. But we might not need to play them? Next toughest is Wales then USA then Iran. So we are getting these games all in the wrong order from our point of view. It would be much better to get the weaker teams first then build up to the tougher ones. 

Having said that we shouldn't forget the heat factor even if it is winter time in Qatar. Iran will be used to the heat, as will the USA. Anybody who remembers Jacksonville will know how the Yanks can cope with the heat. We will just wilt after 10 minutes. I was wilting just sitting in the stand, fuk knows how folk can run around in that heat?

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Of the next four games that we might (just might) have in the World Cup this year, I would say Ukraine are the toughest opponents, if they can get close to their full squad. But we might not need to play them? Next toughest is Wales then USA then Iran. So we are getting these games all in the wrong order from our point of view. It would be much better to get the weaker teams first then build up to the tougher ones. 

Having said that we shouldn't forget the heat factor even if it is winter time in Qatar. Iran will be used to the heat, as will the USA. Anybody who remembers Jacksonville will know how the Yanks can cope with the heat. We will just wilt after 10 minutes. I was wilting just sitting in the stand, fuk knows how folk can run around in that heat?

Not always a perfect measure but the FIFA rankings give a reasonable indication of a team's strength. 

We are currently ranked 39, Ukraine are 27th and Wales 18th.

If we manage to qualify then Iran are 21st, USA 15th and England 5th.

Safe to say getting through all of those games and reaching the World Cup knockout stages would be an astonishing achievement!

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No, not at all. There is just very little chance of us being in that position based on every tournament we have ever played in. If we do qualify and we do beat USA and Iran then we should already be through. Chances are we won’t win our first 2 games though.

Lets worry about that if we beat Ukraine and Wales though?

I said we 'could' be through if we win our first two games and didn't suggest this was likely. Was merely pointing out one scenario. I also said IF we get through (to Qatar) in the post I made just prior to the one you took the trouble to respond to but perhaps you missed that. 

Edited by Saint4805

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The Scotland v England game would be the day before the 150th anniversary of the first international match.

It's written in the stars 🌟🌟🌟🤔😉

40 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Not sure what the humidity will be like but the temperature in Qatar in late November is usually 23-25C and so it's actually not too bad. 

1 hour ago, Saint4805 said:

Not sure what the humidity will be like but the temperature in Qatar in late November is usually 23-25C and so it's actually not too bad. 

Best to take some woollens for evening KOs then!