World Cup Finals Draw - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Finals Draw

Caledonian Craig

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are either very young or very drunk. 

Are you saying there's no chance we could be through if we beat Iran and USA before we play England?

Edited by Saint4805

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

We would play USA then Iran before England so we could be through before the last game

i will remind you of a quote from the famous journalist Iain Archer commentating on the draw in 1978….

”Peru, Iran, the two minnows, we may have already qualified by the time play Holland. Surely a passport to the last eight.”…….

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If its just 2 from the group 6 points might not be enough, we do like to find new ways to fail. 

Six points would definitely be enough for at the very least second. Most points a group can yield is 16 so two teams with twelve points between them means maximum the other teams can pick-up is four.

FFS we have not even beaten Ukraine yet. Who I think we now will struggle with ‘psychologically’ beating after recent events. Then Wales with bale wanting to play in a World Cup which surely would be his last. Wales are a bit of a bogey team for us in recent times. We have two massive mountains to climb before we can even dream of a World Cup. 

1 minute ago, morrie21 said:

Some serious underestimation of the USA going on. No pushovers for anyone.

I think it is more a case of us being better off with them than the likes of Denmark, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Croatia or maybe even Uruguay. Face it everyone (not just Scots) were picking out USA as their preferred team to draw from Pot 2.

3 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

I was going to say the same thing.  USA are young and energetic in attack but their defense isn't great, it would be a great match up. I'll tell ya lads, if we don't make it I am likely to greet, seeing this draw and the potential of being at a World Cup in a few months is so exciting. 

4 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

I think they are absolute diddies to be honest a pretty substandard pot 2 side , the no more than two Europeans has done us a massive favour.

if we do get there biggest and best chance ever to get out a group

I watched the Scotland Iran game live on tv in 1978. That World Cup is my first footballing memories. We were pish. The Peru game was worse I think. Set the tone for everything I watched since. Shades of ally’s army building here. 😀 

Pulisic is arguably better than anything we’ve got and Iran are no mugs. Hopefully, they’ll see us as the least of 3 evils and focus elsewhere! 

However, if we get past Ukraine then Wales, I would take that draw, particularly with the fixtures in the order they are and we get off to a fast start.

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Iran and the USA will be looking at us and thinking the exact same… soft rollover weaklings who have bottled every chance on the world stage. They will be delighted to have us in their group. 

Let be honest at this stage USA and Iran will be panning to play Wales!

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Iran and the USA will be looking at us and thinking the exact same… soft rollover weaklings who have bottled every chance on the world stage. They will be delighted to have us in their group. 

Let be honest at this stage USA and Iran will be panning to play Wales!

Given our record, I do feel like we should be quite humble and certainly not assuming 6 points after 2 games (that sounds like how England fans plot their way through a tournament to me). Even Iran in the last World Cup beat Morocco 1-0, lost to Spain 1-0 and drew 1-1 with Portugal. The US are always tough to beat in the World Cup and have got out the group several times. Right now, they have several young stars playing at top European clubs.

Sure, we can still qualify and get through the group, but we should recognise that if we did, this would represent a remarkable achievement.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Six points would definitely be enough for at the very least second. Most points a group can yield is 16 so two teams with twelve points between them means maximum the other teams can pick-up is four.

Three teams could end up on 6 points.

Three teams could also end up on two points which is a more likely way to fail for us.

For once I think we might enjoy an England win.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

you must be a similar age to me.  First scotland game I remember watching was against Bulgaria in a warm up game in 78.  Then watched the Peru game live… it was a Saturday evening from memory.  Wasn’t allowed to stay up for the Iran game as it was mid week and had school, but watched that game and that goal on the Sunday.

There are no pushovers for us but if you'd been offered that group before the draw you'd have taken it. Gladly. Look at who we could have got!

England have had their final and blown it against weak opponents. If we play them we can have them. Bring it on!

I'm much more worried about Ukraine and Wales.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

16 wasn’t in the 3 times table last time I looked

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I know it was only Jermaine Jenas saying it but was he reading from a script when saying the European Play-Off winner to be decided in June? If that is a FIFA directive he was reading from then we can take from that that FIFA will insist the Ukraine match is played in June or we get a bye

I've heard on telly twice tonight that the Ukraine play off game is getting played on June 7th.

But it might just be lazy reporting as that's the nations league game.

Anyone heard if this is official?