World Cup Finals Draw - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Finals Draw

Caledonian Craig

We are in the bizarre position of being in the 2022 World Cup Finals draw tomorrow although we are still two games away from qualification. It is odd but a good feeling to still have an active interest in the draw for the first time in 24 years.

Will you watch it (live at 4.45 pm on BBC1) or will you refuse an interest until we have qualified?

Well the seedings have been announced and are as follows:-

Pot 1 (Top Seeds)                  Pot 2                        Pot 3                   Pot 4

Qatar                                  Mexico                     Senegal             Cameroon

Brazil                               Netherlands                   Iran                   Canada

Belgium                              Germany                     Japan                Ecuador

France                               Denmark                   Morocco          Saudi Arabia

Argentina                           Uruguay                      Serbia                 Ghana

England                          Switzerland                   Poland       Wales/Scotland/Ukraine

Spain                                    USA                    South Korea  Costa Rica/New Zealand

Portugal                               Croatia                     Tunisia            UAE/Australia/Peru

Just as a bit of fun and hopefully not jinxing but lets dream eh? The Group of Death for us would be:-

Brazil

Germany

Poland

Scotland

The dream draw would be:-

Qatar

USA

Iran

Scotland

Fingers crossed we qualify but if not at least we are aspiring to dream once more.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We are in the bizarre position of being in the 2022 World Cup Finals draw tomorrow although we are still two games away from qualification. It is odd but a good feeling to still have an active interest in the draw for the first time in 24 years.

Will you watch it (live at 4.45 pm on BBC1) or will you refuse an interest until we have qualified?

Pot 1 (Top Seeds)                  Pot 2                        Pot 3                   Pot 4

Qatar                                  Mexico                     Senegal             Cameroon

Brazil                               Netherlands                   Iran                   Canada

Belgium                              Germany                     Japan                Ecuador

France                               Denmark                   Morocco          Saudi Arabia

Argentina                           Uruguay                      Serbia                 Ghana

England                          Switzerland                   Poland       Wales/Scotland/Ukraine

Spain                                    USA                    South Korea  Costa Rica/New Zealand

Portugal                               Croatia                     Tunisia            UAE/Australia/Peru

Just as a bit of fun and hopefully not jinxing but lets dream eh? The Group of Death for us would be:-

Brazil

Germany

Poland

Scotland

Qatar

USA

Iran

Scotland

Fingers crossed we qualify but if not at least we are aspiring to dream once more.

Iran, you must huv forgotten Argentina 78.

Neither of those groups can happen. Max of two European teams in a group. Only one team from the other confederations per group.

Ridiculous they are having this draw tomorrow with three spaces in the tournament still not taken. With the World Cup not starting till November 21st they had the luxury of being able to wait until after the June international window to perform this draw.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Brazil

Germany

Poland

Scotland

Qatar

USA

Iran

Scotland

Only a maximum of 2 European teams can be in the same group.

4 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Neither of those groups can happen. Max of two European teams in a group. Only one team from the other confederations per group.

Ridiculous they are having this draw tomorrow with three spaces in the tournament still not taken. With the World Cup not starting till November 21st they had the luxury of being able to wait until after the June international window to perform this draw.

Cheers for that. Rethinking that then. Group of Death 2 would be:

Brazil

Germany

Senegal

Scotland

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Yeah. There may be several "Groups of Death." My initial reaction to seeing the pots was that with Germany, Netherlands, Croatia, Switzerland and Denmark in Pot 2 there are going to be some solid groups. To be expected of course but seeing it on the screen hammers home the reality.

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

If you think that's bad, have you ever seen the Rugby World Cup draw? 

29 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Usually there is a stinker in Pot4 but doesn't seem the case on the face of it this time.  The Pot 3 teams must fancy there chances as even P2 having 8 teams dillutes it.  

We are the "stinkers" this time round. That's if we get there like. 😉

43 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If you think that's bad, have you ever seen the Rugby World Cup draw? 

Don't get me started on that. World Rugby screwed us over royally by locking in the seedings while we were temporarily outside the top 8 and their darlings Japan were in the top 8. Three years before the actual tournament FFS

I'm starting to get really excited about the prospect of making it to Qatar.  My group preference would be Qatar (who we play in the opening match), USA and Iran.  I only want to see images of the draw groups that have a Scottish flag.  

51 minutes ago, mr mojo risin said:

Hard to see any seeded Europeans struggling too much to get through the groups - Uruguay/Poland about the toughest they could get?

I do agree with you but there's always someone who implodes like France & Italy in 2010 or England in 2014.

Very surreal to be in this draw sort of but guess it's a bit like the euros and knowing England were likely opponents.

Hosts usually get a very soft draw so could very easily get in Qatar's group (shades of 98 and opening game as hosts always have that honour now).

From what I've heard Mexico aren't as strong as they used to be so they're arguably weakest pot 2 but they usually get to last 16 when they lose.

Tunisia easily weakest pot 3 team so they might be another easy opposition for Qatar.

Just top 2 go through aswell, will be different in 2026.

18 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Whatever the context, it's nice to be in a World Cup finals draw for the first time in 24 years.

Here's a question that struck me (and I have no idea what the answer is) - when was the last time we were still in the World Cup after Italy had been knocked outI?

1958 maybe, depends who was eliminated first in 1974.

19 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Whatever the context, it's nice to be in a World Cup finals draw for the first time in 24 years.

Here's a question that struck me (and I have no idea what the answer is) - when was the last time we were still in the World Cup after Italy had been knocked outI?

I don't think that has ever happened. I briefly thought about that earlier when thinking we are still with an interest in the draw unlike many other illustrious countries such as Italy, Colombia, Nigeria and more.

22 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Could get complicated with UAE/Australia/Peru and Costa Rica/New Zealand play-offs?

Actually working it out, the former will have to draw a European pot1 and the latter avoid USA+Mexico pot2.

Unless I'm mistaken it's pretty unlikely we'll be drawn with Poland or Serbia. There would need to be two non European teams drawn from Pot 1 and Pot 2 in the same group for that to happen. I expect they will need to re-draw a few group numbers when it comes to Pot 3 as we're likely to have a few groups with two European teams in them already after Pots 1 and 2 are drawn. 

It's v unlikely but Qatar, USA, Serbia and us would be immense. 

Or alternatively, Qatar, Switzerland, Iran/Tunisia and us. 

Edited by Saint4805