If we face Wales... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If we face Wales...

weekevie04

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Aye, there's very little between the two teams, bar the attackers, which, coupled with home advantage, should mean that they're favourites. 

Bale, past his best though he may be, is still superior to anyone we've faced in the qualifiers outwith Denmark, and I'd have James, Ramsey and Wilson in the Scotland squad in a heartbeat.

Just my own experience but the worst supporters from these islands that I've encountered - outwith the obvious mob! - were Northern Ireland's. 

Nothing major happened (although it easily could have!) they just had a lot of cheeky wee fannies.

I was thinking more along the lines of cutting off his supplies too.  I think that's the tactic we adopted when we last played them in Cardiff, which worked well until he started looking for possession himself. The difference is, in those days he could run about a lot better than he can now

Agree regarding the Northern Ireland supporters unfortunately. Probably the most obnoxious supporters that i have encountered. Horrible atmosphere in Glagow that day. 

On 3/27/2022 at 2:27 PM, robbo cop said:

While Bale can be very good, we have the likes of Robertson and Paterson down the flanks and McGinn has been great for us lately, to name but a few.

Take care of Ukraine first and concentrate on our strengths if we get through.

We may not need to but aye I’m not even bothering to think about Wales again until after the Ukraine game or until we know they can’t fulfil the fixture. 

7 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

On 15th Nov showing we will win.

it’s totally on the night. Walk off tonight knowing we were a bit pish but got away with it…… won’t against Ukraine and Wales.

Is that when the game is? Thought it was the summer

It would be dangerous to think of Wales as a one man team - albeit a world class player that Bale is. They are no 20 in the rankings for good reason. They are unbeaten in 9 games and beat Austria - rather than our draw. We will have to be at our best to get through. They got through to the last 16 of the Euros. However we are in general good form also since the Euros and have built up momentum in the last 6 months so still optimistic we can do it

51 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

It would be dangerous to think of Wales as a one man team - albeit a world class player that Bale is. They are no 20 in the rankings for good reason. They are unbeaten in 9 games and beat Austria - rather than our draw. We will have to be at our best to get through. They got through to the last 16 of the Euros. However we are in general good form also since the Euros and have built up momentum in the last 6 months so still optimistic we can do it

Agreed. Some people are living in the past with regards Wales. The days when they never qualified and lacked quality in depth. The last few years they have been very consistent and made much more impact at major tournaments than we ever have. That backs up their ranking where they are placed above the likes of Poland, Ukraine and Austria.

As I said earlier both squads are pretty evenly matched. Wales have the definite greater strength in attack and in the goalkeeping department they have better strength in depth. We are stronger than them in defence and midfield. Both share a great team spirit and togetherness. Should we play them in the final it will a tough to call match but I won't be plunging into depths of depression should we miss outas we are evidently in a far better place now than we have been for 20+ years.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:45 PM, Malcolm said:

On tonight’s showing we will lose.

Just as well the game wasn’t a playoff then isn’t it? 

I don’t think we can judge our chances against Ukraine and/or Wales based on a bounce game against Austria.  

Edited by Texas Pete

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Just as well the game wasn’t a playoff then isn’t it? 

I don’t think we can judge our chances against Ukraine and/or Wales based on a bounce game against Austria.  

Exactly.  Some folk seem awfully quick to dismiss a friendly when we do well but then it's suddenly a true reflection of our abilities when we're not so good!

On 3/29/2022 at 9:45 PM, Malcolm said:

On tonight’s showing we will lose.

I disagree.

I think over the two games we rotated the team and still managed two credible draws against decent teams.

There’s issues for sure but overall the team and squad is in a better place than it has been since the 90s.

I think it’s pretty even ourselves and Wales and it’ll be very close either way but I am confident we can do it. 

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I disagree.

I think over the two games we rotated the team and still managed two credible draws against decent teams.

There’s issues for sure but overall the team and squad is in a better place than it has been since the 90s.

I think it’s pretty even ourselves and Wales and it’ll be very close either way but I am confident we can do it. 

Fully agree.

We are now unbeaten in eight matches and in that run includes matches against World Cup Qualifiers Denmark and Poland and two games away to Austria who are ranked above us and progressed at last year's Euros to the latter stages. Also the run of games we have scored runs to eight games and we have today broken back into the top 40 in the world rankings.

Who knows what the coming months will bring? We may reach our first World Cup Finals in almost a quarter of a century but even if we miss out there is still much to look forward to and much to be optimistic about. It sure beats the dark old days under the management of George Burley and Craig Levein.

The best way of beating Wales is giving Charlie Adam one last cap to walk all over Bale's ankles again!  Once Bale is stretchered off Adam is substituted to a standing ovation and we look forward to the WC 😉

On 3/26/2022 at 6:07 PM, Malcolm said:

first five minutes get somebody to go right through him.

Spot on. We need to play to our strengths, set a player to man mark him, nip at him, stand on his toes, pull his hair stuff like that but aye, first thing we do is smash him. Worked for Ramos on Salah, just need to be sneaky about it. 
We need to stop standing back and "respecting" the opposition, fk em, we're there to win at any cost. 
See what "respecting" Modric did for us? 
Fk em. 

7 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Spot on. We need to play to our strengths, set a player to man mark him, nip at him, stand on his toes, pull his hair stuff like that but aye, first thing we do is smash him. Worked for Ramos on Salah, just need to be sneaky about it. 
We need to stop standing back and "respecting" the opposition, fk em, we're there to win at any cost. 
See what "respecting" Modric did for us? 
Fk em. 

a Scottish claudio gentile is what is required here…. A horrible player to play against 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

a Scottish claudio gentile is what is required here…. A horrible player to play against 

Exactly, I've a feeling McTominay would be happy to nail him... 

22 hours ago, kwhitelaw said:

The best way of beating Wales is giving Charlie Adam one last cap to walk all over Bale's ankles again!  Once Bale is stretchered off Adam is substituted to a standing ovation and we look forward to the WC 😉

He couldn't catch him in 2012, he's not got much chance now!

51 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

As has been mentioned, if Ukraine do get a team together, how's it fair either team have to play two games in a handful of days, to play a fresh Wales team, who's players have had a month to stay fit!

I think Wales will have to play a game before the final - a friendly. Poland had to do it so think Wales will have to as well. It will only be a friendly so agreed it leaves them with an advantage.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I'm finding it difficult to think further than the Ukraine game.

If we win that game, it will be a great achievement. And if everyone gets through it without injury, I wouldn't be suprised if Steve Clarke kept more or less the same starting 11 and  utilised the same tactics/formation that we've used to get this far. (Can't see him spending the few days between games  to alter the system eg. to accomodate a man-marker or whatever. A few light training sessions, a bit of work on defending set pieces and the like, and that'll be it I would expect?)

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

As has been mentioned, if Ukraine do get a team together, how's it fair either team have to play two games in a handful of days, to play a fresh Wales team, who's players have had a month to stay fit!

Simple answer ,,,it isn't .