If we face Wales... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If we face Wales...

weekevie04

It has the potential to be the worst or best feeling in the world.

I've been to the Welsh-speaking north of the country, and loved it, and met some amazing people ; BUT having met some of their supporters! I was surprised to find they were incredibly arrogant and had more than their fare share of arseholes. We also have tits as well "Whar's yer kilt?" types ; but they had just pumped us in the rugby (not that I care) but slagging off someone when they have just been humped is just knuckle dragging behaviour. TBH, and out of the ''home'' nations, they have been the worst at having any form of humility. The 4-0 game as well down there was just awful as well. A lot of "we are brilliant, you guys are pathetic," basically from a large minority of their support. Many were nice too, but TBH, I'd much rather lose to Austria or Wales (again, if we get past Ukraine)

I think overall we do have a better side, but they have Bale and as 32, and not playing as he is ; look what he did on Tuesday - he basically dragged Wales to victory! He's superman in that red shirt. To think he's played about 2 games for Madrid and probably won't play much if any at all for them in the next few months yet turns up match fit and absolute legend for his country.

We need to see what happens with Ukraine first, but the thought of going to Cardiff and going out is enough to make you greet and considering they seem to always have our number in big matches be it in fitba or rugby, I'm a bit worried we'll crash out (if we get there).

No one else?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

It has the potential to be the worst or best feeling in the world.

I've been to the Welsh-speaking north of the country, and loved it, and met some amazing people ; BUT having met some of their supporters! I was surprised to find they were incredibly arrogant and had more than their fare share of arseholes. We also have tits as well "Whar's yer kilt?" types ; but they had just pumped us in the rugby (not that I care) but slagging off someone when they have just been humped is just knuckle dragging behaviour. TBH, and out of the ''home'' nations, they have been the worst at having any form of humility. The 4-0 game as well down there was just awful as well. A lot of "we are brilliant, you guys are pathetic," basically from a large minority of their support. Many were nice too, but TBH, I'd much rather lose to Austria or Wales (again, if we get past Ukraine)

I think overall we do have a better side, but they have Bale and as 32, and not playing as he is ; look what he did on Tuesday - he basically dragged Wales to victory! He's superman in that red shirt. To think he's played about 2 games for Madrid and probably won't play much if any at all for them in the next few months yet turns up match fit and absolute legend for his country.

We need to see what happens with Ukraine first, but the thought of going to Cardiff and going out is enough to make you greet and considering they seem to always have our number in big matches be it in fitba or rugby, I'm a bit worried we'll crash out (if we get there).

No one else?

Bale is our biggest concern, hes unbelievable in a wales shirt and nearly always plays amazing for them. Going to be tough but i like how we play these days and if we are clinical in front of goal we can win. Converting our chances seems to be our biggest problem these days.

Think the long break will actually help them tbh.

Bale played about 20 minutes in last four months before Thursday and he was basically hobbling around the pitch at the end before he was subbed so no idea how he'd have got through extra time if Austria had got back to 2-2 say ten minutes before the end.

Ramsey also been in and out at Rangers and again barely played for Juventus all season.

If they have to wait until September then both likely will be at new clubs and chance to get 4-5 games under their belts compared to having to go again on Tuesday as would be the case in normal times.

Add in home advantage (they've hardly lost since they moved their games to Cardiff City stadium) and they're the favourites for the final no doubt even if player for player there isn't much in it in many positions between them and Scotland/Ukraine.

Just concentrate on Ukraine first whenever that will be played. It's similar to the euros aswell in that I saw earlier the world cup draw is taking place next Friday which is pretty odd when you think there's still 3-4 places still to be determined with potential June play offs.

Will be strange being placed in world cup group after all these years but not qualified.

Edited by Tartan Chris

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Bale is our biggest concern, hes unbelievable in a wales shirt and nearly always plays amazing for them. Going to be tough but i like how we play these days and if we are clinical in front of goal we can win. Converting our chances seems to be our biggest problem these days.

He's our biggest concern - he can still produce moments of brilliance at international level - but he's by no means our only concern. They have other good attacking players like Daniel James and Harry Wilson, one of the best players in the English Championship, who can win games for them. 

They're well organised, have a bit of pace in attack, a mixture of youth and experience and will have home advantage in the tie - they couldn't ask for better conditions. Frankly, I'd much rather Austria had won on Thursday!

As for their fans being arrogant, if they are they've got short memories. It's not so long ago they'd regularly get scudded in qualifiying games and finish campaigns second bottom of the table. We've never so far sank to those depths, even at our worst, and I for one would never sneer or write off another team playing at a similar level to us.

We need to take the rough with the smooth. The more playoffs we get to the more heartache we will likely suffer. if the alternative is going back to the dark days of 2004-2019 without a single playoff then I’d rather face the possibility of being eliminated by Wales (or Ukraine or whoever). 

There are wankers in every support as you say but it sounds like you have had a bad experience with some Welsh fans. I haven’t found that at all with any interactions I’ve had with them. I really don’t care who puts us out if we are eliminated. I’ll find it soul destroying regardless of who stops us going to the World Cup if we don’t make it. Hopefully it won’t come to that though. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

first five minutes get somebody to go right through him.

This hasn’t really been used as a tactic since the 1980s and even then it rarely worked. 

Find out where Wales are staying and pay someone to slip something in his dinner so he does a Lineker on the pitch. That’ll do the trick. 😂

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The key to us getting a result is shutting out Gareth Bale. Limit his influence and I'd fancy us getting the result we crave.

I wouldn’t wish injury on anyone but we could really do with him being unavailable in June if we do play Wales. 

He’s unlikely to pick up an injury though unless he puts his back out playing golf. 

If we play Wales and Wales win, Gareth Bale will be a huge part of it...

So basically stop Bale, stop Wales..

First up, watch for needless fouls for any reason around the box

Second and most important, designate 1 player, probably Gilmour, to stick to Bale like glue the whole game - 1 job, never be more than 12 inches away from him all night...make the game 10 v 10 but nullify Wales biggest threat 

I entirely agree with Robbo '81, if we have the good fortune to face Wales, we need to be very disciplined not to concede free-kicks in Bale range, plus nullify talisman Bale by applying the man-marking treatment. But for latter job I would designate McTominay rather than Gilmour. McTominay has the physical presence to match Bale, plus Gilmour is a more creative force better suited as a midfield fulcrum pulling the strings.

17 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

If we play Wales and Wales win, Gareth Bale will be a huge part of it...

So basically stop Bale, stop Wales..

First up, watch for needless fouls for any reason around the box

Second and most important, designate 1 player, probably Gilmour, to stick to Bale like glue the whole game - 1 job, never be more than 12 inches away from him all night...make the game 10 v 10 but nullify Wales biggest threat 

Would say McTominay would be better for that if he's in the back 3. I presume they'll have Kieffer Moore back for the final so just leave Hanley or Cooper to deal with the aerial balls and get Scott on Bale although as you say make sure he dosen't give away needless FKs 25 yards from goal as Harry Wilson is really good at them aswell.

If you do get past Ukraine I really hope you stuff Wales. I think most Irish would rather Scotland go through out of those two. I didn't mind Wales doing well before we got them in a qualifying group but I found them pretty arrogant on their forum defending the indefensible in the wake of the atrocious tackle on Coleman who was in his prime which screwed our WC 2018 campaign.

It was delightful McClean above all people sunk them in Cardiff just as they started their nauseating rendition of don't take me home. 

Unfortunately I think Wales will qualify whether they play yourselves or Ukraine especially if Bale is playing. Wales have a lot of pace in forward positions.

Edited by irish

7 hours ago, irish said:

If you do get past Ukraine I really hope you stuff Wales. I think most Irish would rather Scotland go through out of those two. I didn't mind Wales doing well before we got them in a qualifying group but I found them pretty arrogant on their forum defending the indefensible in the wake of the atrocious tackle on Coleman who was in his prime which screwed our WC 2018 campaign.

It was delightful McClean above all people sunk them in Cardiff just as they started their nauseating rendition of don't take me home. 

Unfortunately I think Wales will qualify whether they play yourselves or Ukraine especially if Bale is playing. Wales have a lot of pace in forward positions.

They are a disgusting bunch, who have very little diginity. Always a principality and never a proper country. Wether we beat them or not they need to understand they will never rise to be anything other than englands lackie and slave.

They absolutely hate it when we sing 'you're just a small part of England' to them so hopefully that gets an airing down in Cardiff if we make it. 

We're more than capable of matching them but Bale could tip it their way.....

They have a horribly effective front line of Kieffer Moore, Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Harry Wilson & Daniel James. Be awfully fine if 1 or 2 of them were injured by the time June comes, if we beat Ukraine & if that match goes ahead.

It’s very strange UEFA haven’t put the other play off in our section off till June also, ourselves and Ukraine are heavily disadvantage playing two games in a short space of time with injuries and fatigue, very odd decision. Why not just have Wales & Austria playing when our game with Ukraine is due to go ahead. Bizarre. 

Edited by ProudScot

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

They have a horribly effective front line of Kieffer Moore, Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Harry Wilson & Daniel James. Be awfully fine if 1 or 2 of them were injured by the time June comes, if we beat Ukraine & if that match goes ahead.

It’s very strange UEFA haven’t put the other play off in our section off till June also, ourselves and Ukraine are heavily disadvantage playing two games in a short space of time with injuries and fatigue, very odd decision. Why not just have Wales & Austria playing when our game with Ukraine is due to go ahead. Bizarre. 

It's very nice of the Scottish champions to give Aaron Ramsey game time to sharpen him up for the play off final. 😋

34 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Remember chatting to a few of them after the Nations Cup game in Dublin and they were fine.  

Lucky you found any to chat to.

I counted 56 Wales fans in the ground that night.....56!!!!!

Shitty support...all glory hunters.

Bale is too good to man mark.

We would be better spent focussing on dominating possession and keeping the ball up their end of the pitch. 

They dont have good defenders so a high press should result in them humping the ball which is a better way to limit Bales impact. If we stop the ball getting played into the feet of their midfield then it largely stops their attacking players.

17 hours ago, irish said:

Aye, there's very little between the two teams, bar the attackers, which, coupled with home advantage, should mean that they're favourites. 

Bale, past his best though he may be, is still superior to anyone we've faced in the qualifiers outwith Denmark, and I'd have James, Ramsey and Wilson in the Scotland squad in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Quite funny, the hatred of Wales as they’ve given us a few pumpings in recent times. 

Remember chatting to a few of them after the Nations Cup game in Dublin and they were fine.  

Numpties in every support/country of course. 

Just my own experience but the worst supporters from these islands that I've encountered - outwith the obvious mob! - were Northern Ireland's. 

Nothing major happened (although it easily could have!) they just had a lot of cheeky wee fannies.

23 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Bale is too good to man mark.

We would be better spent focussing on dominating possession and keeping the ball up their end of the pitch. 

They dont have good defenders so a high press should result in them humping the ball which is a better way to limit Bales impact. If we stop the ball getting played into the feet of their midfield then it largely stops their attacking players.

I was thinking more along the lines of cutting off his supplies too.  I think that's the tactic we adopted when we last played them in Cardiff, which worked well until he started looking for possession himself. The difference is, in those days he could run about a lot better than he can now.