u17 Elite Round - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

u17 Elite Round

er yir macaroon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, syecosse said:

How is the lad Louis Jackson playing seen a bit in the newspapers about him, highly rated played for Man utds u23 team at 15. 

Played in first game and was pretty useless to be fair. Dropped for second game

I thought the lad Bobby Wales and the young goalie played well - hopefully both go on to great things in the game.

Three straight defeats is quite disheartening though. I know we had quite a young side but there still seems to be a gulf between ourselves and small, tournament-regular nations like Denmark, Sweden and Portugal.

I wasn't hugely disheartened to be honest. A good few of our boys were clearly not as strong or as fast as their opponents accross the 3 games, but I wouldn't say they were hugely technically inferior. Given the age disparity (8 of our 11 last night were younger than their Swedish counterparts by either one or two years) I don't think thats concerning.

Our boys were less able to use their ability as often, you saw flashes of it rather than consistent use of it like the other nations. That told. Missing Doak was also huge - he was a real outlet in other games I've seen the U17s play, I think he would have stretched the game and given the younger players a little more time to impose themselves.

The true test of these squads isn't in the winning, it's in the progression to upper teams and ultimately reach full international level. I guess we'll see in future years how successful this group have been.

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I wasn't hugely disheartened to be honest. A good few of our boys were clearly not as strong or as fast as their opponents accross the 3 games, but I wouldn't say they were hugely technically inferior. Given the age disparity (8 of our 11 last night were younger than their Swedish counterparts by either one or two years) I don't think thats concerning.

Our boys were less able to use their ability as often, you saw flashes of it rather than consistent use of it like the other nations. That told. Missing Doak was also huge - he was a real outlet in other games I've seen the U17s play, I think he would have stretched the game and given the younger players a little more time to impose themselves.

The true test of these squads isn't in the winning, it's in the progression to upper teams and ultimately reach full international level. I guess we'll see in future years how successful this group have been.

Yeah mate think patience is going to be key – stage one is qualifying for these things regularly and stage two is learning what to do once we get there.  If we’re fielding relative youngsters in this age group then can only be a plus as they’ll learn from it hopefully from it and would suggest a lot of this squad could still be available for qualifying for the u17 world cup in 2023 which could be a huge indication on possible progress. 

Watched the game and there were promising signs.

The guy Wales is good. 

When Liam Morrison and Leon King played CB for that team it was obvious there were two potentially top drawer centre backs there which this team doesn’t have.

Wales, Reid & young Celtic goalie Mahady were the best players, Mahady only 15 also so lots of potential.