u17 Elite Round - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

u17 Elite Round

er yir macaroon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

3-0 down to Portugal after 37 mins in our opening game. 

Could be even worse, we've been absolutely dreadful 

Third one was a bit pish. I thought it wasn’t a penalty if it came off your body into your hand?

20 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Third one was a bit pish. I thought it wasn’t a penalty if it came off your body into your hand?

Can't keep up with the handball changes. Think they're just making it up as they go. 

Felt there should have been a foul for a high boot in the lead up to the second. Thought Wilson got booted in the head. 

Referee has been a bit of a prick. 

25 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

3-0 down to Portugal after 37 mins in our opening game. 

Could be even worse, we've been absolutely dreadful 

Outclassed. As soon as we kicked off the game with the Dick Campbell-esque "punt to the wing" my heart sank.

To be fair they're trying to play it out from the back but they haven't moved it quickly enough and the midfield is practically non-existent, meaning Wilson is isolated up front.

Sadly, basic skills such as ball control look second rate compared to the Portuguese. Wilson - who I was looking forward to seeing - had the best chance but his first touch was pish and the best that came of it was a corner, which, of course, we did nothing with.

17 minutes ago, adamntg said:

That was very harsh, I thought. Clearly accidental.

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Outclassed. As soon as we kicked off the game with the Dick Campbell-esque "punt to the wing" my heart sank.

To be fair they're trying to play it out from the back but they haven't moved it quickly enough and the midfield is practically non-existent, meaning Wilson is isolated up front.

Sadly, basic skills such as ball control look second rate compared to the Portuguese. Wilson - who I was looking forward to seeing - had the best chance but his first touch was pish and the best that came of it was a corner, which, of course, we did nothing with.

That was very harsh, I thought. Clearly accidental.

Yes that’s all Wilson has done. His touch was very poor. Should have at least got a shot away. Attempts at tackles have been abysmal all over the park. Not sure what shape they are playing and don’t think players do either. Lad at RWB, Kingdon from Man U has been woeful. Is it a case of he plays for Man U, he must be good?

7 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Half this team are from the performance schools too 😳

To be fair Portugal do look very very good and I think are the tournament favourites but we have been woeful. Very naive in defence and second to every ball all over park. Only excuse is apparently we are youngest team in tournament by far (with about 7 eligible next year too) and Portugal are oldest. 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

15 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Only excuse is apparently we are youngest team in tournament by far (with about 7 eligible next year too) and Portugal are oldest.

It’s quite a good excuse but I don’t think this crop have the footballing ability of the previous group (the current u19s). Some of them very look cumbersome on the ball. Portugal look to have at least two nailed on top level players and probably more. 

56 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Yes that’s all Wilson has done. His touch was very poor. Should have at least got a shot away. Attempts at tackles have been abysmal all over the park. Not sure what shape they are playing and don’t think players do either. Lad at RWB, Kingdon from Man U has been woeful. Is it a case of he plays for Man U, he must be good?

He was unlucky with the penalty but aye, he had a poor game. He and the team in general looked better when we switched to 4-4-2 but the damage had been done by then.

14 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s quite a good excuse but I don’t think this crop have the footballing ability of the previous group (the current u19s). Some of them very look cumbersome on the ball. Portugal look to have at least two nailed on top level players and probably more. 

I hate to be too critical of youngsters but the boy Laidlaw had all the finese of a drunken giraffe.  Clearly a product of the "he's a big lad, let's get him in the team and play him up front" school of Scottish "coaching".

21 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

HT 1-1, went on to lose 3-1.

Fuck.  🤦‍♂️

Watched the first half and while Denmark were slightly the better team, we played much better than we did on Tuesday and it was a much closer game.  Half-fancied us to score again and maybe even nick it.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:05 PM, henry george said:

I don't know what they teach at the performance schools but they need to concentrate a lot more on ball control and ball retention.  We were playing park football most of the night - just kick it anywhere.  very poor.

They do. Hence, we have ended up with Gilmour and Patterson.

The performance schools are doing good work.

Where it falls apart are the idiots the SFA employ in charge of our youth teams who are resistant to change, suspicious of new development and insist upon using tactics thirty years out of date.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Rory Wilson scores again, rounds the goalie for a composed finish. Guy MacArthur at the back who plays for Killie looks a player & is also about 6’5 too.

Another defeat but was better than the Portugal game. 

I don’t agree regarding MacArthur. Poor technically.