World Cup anyone? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup anyone?

romanticscot

5 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Has anyone allowed themselves to dream yet that we may make it to Qatar? Share your story what this could mean for you. 

Think everyone is too concerned with doing the right thing with regards to Ukraine’s football team to actually give a fuck about our own national team I'm afraid. But, heh who knows maybe we'll suddenly realise the war's not our fault and football has fuck all to do with it but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Edited by todd

Well, when the play-off draw was announced, and we avoided Portugal and Italy, I for one allowed myself to dream.

I was lucky enough to go to Spain 82, Mexico 86, Italy 90, Sweden Euros 92, and France 98. I naïvely thought back then that the party would pretty much go on forever, but now a whole generation of Scotland fans (including my son) have grown up without ever seeing Scotland play in a major tournament.

24 years on, I would love to think that I have one more World Cup adventure in me before the Grim Reaper comes calling.

If Scotland do make it to Qatar, count me in.

2 hours ago, alfaetrin said:

Well, when the play-off draw was announced, and we avoided Portugal and Italy, I for one allowed myself to dream.

I was lucky enough to go to Spain 82, Mexico 86, Italy 90, Sweden Euros 92, and France 98. I naïvely thought back then that the party would pretty much go on forever, but now a whole generation of Scotland fans (including my son) have grown up without ever seeing Scotland play in a major tournament.

24 years on, I would love to think that I have one more World Cup adventure in me before the Grim Reaper comes calling.

If Scotland do make it to Qatar, count me in.

Is your son less than 2?

Edited by todd

I've never been to a world cup. My first memory was 86 and as I got older my relatives would talk alot about 78 and 82. We were spoiled and took it for granted we would be there every time the world cup came along

I think we will get to Qatar. 

37 minutes ago, tartan davie said:

getting there is not the dream its getting digs by the time we know there will be none left thanks to fifa not looking at the logistics just as long as they are ok and big bucks in there pockets

Yup. The draw will have been made but we’ll no know if we’re one of the qualified teams until later in the year. As you say, once the hotels open up their bookings the rooms will be long gone by the time we know if we’ve qualified or not. However, there are going to be wigwam sites set up for fans to ‘rough it’, so there will be options. Some fans will stay in Dubai and fly in for matches but that obviously just adds to the expense. 

As far a going to Qatar, for me I’ll definitely look into it if we get there but it’s not really one I’d relish. No pubs, no real culture or history, expensive. Aye there will be Fan-Zones but £15 for a warm watered doon Bud in a plastic tumbler doesn’t really sound too good. 

I’ve been to France 98, Brazil 14 and Russia 18 so I know what makes a good tournament, and I just can’t really see Qatar being enjoyable from a fans point of view. 

But let’s get there anyway! ✊🏼🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Edited by McTeeko

I really have tried not to think about qualification to avoid the big disappointment (should it come). However, now that the media are beginning to talk about the draw and FIFA are releasing bits and pieces of info about the draw it has become hard not to think about us making it.

Apparently, should we qualify we will be in the pot of fourth seeds so we will be staring down the barrel of another 'Group of Death'. However, Qatar will be seeded as top seeds so that would be a good draw. You see there I am again....dreaming before we are there.

I believe that is it harder to qualify for us World Cup that it would be to get to a second round.  The EURO's have the highest concentration of elite teams, but World Cup's you have teams like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Australia, and your second tier of European and South American teams, plenty that we COULD give a good game and pick up points.  I cannot see our game with Ukraine going ahead to be honest, I hope that it does so don't misinterpret what I am saying, but right now we are 2, potentially only one game from making a World Cup.  To be this close, shows how far we have come.  The last 20 years with the exception of the last EURO's have been dark, it would be amazing to look forward and experience participating in Qatar.  If the World Cup was held this summer, our game with Ukraine would have been cancelled and we would be within a week of knowing we if made it or not.  Also, we would be looing at play off games without Robertson and Dykes which would have weakened our team immensely. 

I took the plunge earlier and ordered the Team Specific Scotland tickets...

Congratulations! You are on your way! Thank you for purchasing tickets to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 . 

Expensive, but probably cheaper than the tout prices I had to pay to watch our three Euro final games...

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

After watching SSN shoot their bolt over Bale and Wales again today......I really hope we smash them on their own turf to get to the world cup.

Does anyone else think Bale is an asshole?

He might be but he's a fantastic player and if we do play them it would be no surprise if he's the difference between the 2 teams.  If we had a player near his quality we'd already have qualified.

50 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

He might be but he's a fantastic player and if we do play them it would be no surprise if he's the difference between the 2 teams.  If we had a player near his quality we'd already have qualified.

I'm not that worried about him. I am confident we can beat Wales and Bale. We've got some bloody good players nowadays

52 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not that worried about him. I am confident we can beat Wales and Bale. We've got some bloody good players nowadays

I agree. Wales are a decent team, but I can’t remember seeing us play consistently well over such a long period as we are now (probably since Austria away). We play good football, our players have excellent technique and we create plenty of chances in every game. I can’t recall seeing us with a greater team spirit than we do today. The manager is doing a fine job.

It's interesting to see the European teams who's Team-Specific ticket packages have sold out on the FIFA website (Belgium, England, France, Germany, Portugal, Serbia & Spain).

There are only 7-match packages available for Scotland.

Rather embarrassingly for Wales (who claim to have a great support), they are one of only three European teams which all ticket packages are still available (North Macedonia and Ukraine being the other two).

On 3/19/2022 at 9:31 PM, todd said:

Think everyone is too concerned with doing the right thing with regards to Ukraine’s football team to actually give a fuck about our own national team I'm afraid. But, heh who knows maybe we'll suddenly realise the war's not our fault and football has fuck all to do with it but I wouldn't hold your breath!

That's probably an exaggeration... 😉

How many fans do you think we'd take to Qatar if we qualified? 

I can't make my mind up. Between the time of year, the expense, potential lack of accommodation, apathy re Qatar itself, i can't see us taking more than 3000. Although i might be way off.

Had a quick look on Air bnb and the prices are eye watering! 

🤔

9 minutes ago, dezmondo said:

I can't make my mind up. Between the time of year, the expense, potential lack of accommodation, apathy re Qatar itself, i can't see us taking more than 3000. Although i might be way off.

🤔

I’m the same. Very two minded about it. It’s no a place I’ve ever fancied going, however it may be another 24 years before we get to another World Cup.
The ‘luxury campsites’ in the desert will be our best bet I think. 

Edited by McTeeko

4 hours ago, dezmondo said:

🤔

That can't be right. FIFA told us the world cup is for everyone, well everyone with loads of money or anyone willing to pay fifa a small fortune.

Edited by vanderark14