u21 squad double header - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

u21 squad double header

Hertsscot

Don't think anyone's posted it yet. Hickey's absence has already been commented upon.  Any other surprising omissions?  

Scotland Under-21s Squad
Elliot Anderson Bristol Rovers (on loan from Newcastle Utd)
Harrison Ashby West Ham Utd
Scott Banks* Crystal Palace
Connor Barron* Aberdeen
Jack Burroughs Ross County (on loan from Coventry City)
Josh Campbell Hibernian
Tom Clayton Liverpool
Josh Doig Hibernian
Lewis Fiorini Lincoln City (on loan from Manchester City)
Ross Graham* Dundee Utd
Jay Henderson* St Mirren
Scott High Huddersfield Town
Nicky Hogarth* Nottingham Forest
Marc Leonard* Brighton
Lewis Mayo* Partick Thistle (on loan from Rangers)
Glenn Middleton St Johnstone (on loan from Rangers)
Calvin Ramsey* Aberdeen
Zak Rudden* Dundee
Cieran Slicker Manchester City
Connor Smith* Queen's Park (on loan from Heart of Midlothian)
Stephen Welsh Celtic
Ben Williamson Raith Rovers (on loan from Rangers)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, syecosse said:

Not sure who is out but a Lucas De Bolle midfielder Newcastle and a goalkeeper called Sam Long at Lincoln on loan at Drogheda have been called up. 

Not heard of either. Apparently De Bolle was born in Scotland to an English mother and Belgian father and was on the bench recently for the game against Villa.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Not heard of either. Apparently De Bolle was born in Scotland to an English mother and Belgian father and was on the bench recently for the game against Villa.

I had a look at them, De Bolle has been on the fringes of Newcastle like Elliot Anderson is compared to Jonjoe Shelvey and Long has been involved with England under age groups recently.

De Bolle was born in Edinburgh & apparently didn't move to Newcastle until he was 13 so i searched if there was any video interviews of him to check his accent

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/latest-videos/take-de-bolle-pass-de-bolle-lucas-looks-to-last-eight-clash/?isfromsocial=true#t=1:03

Its pretty faint but it's better than many that wear the shirt with pride so good enough for me ha. 

Seriously though if he has spent his first 13 years in Scotland there must be a decent chance he feels as much if not more Scottish than anything else 

I'll try to watch these up & coming under 21 games to see him & fellow Newcastle youth product Elliot Anderson in action. Anderson has been outstanding on loan Bristol Rovers, their fans & manager (Joey Barton) seem to think the lad is something very special. Screenshot_20220318_221427_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.459de9171ddc48af8cdc15de79c5e6ca.jpg

This is taken from the Bristol Post this week. 

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

I had a look at them, De Bolle has been on the fringes of Newcastle like Elliot Anderson is compared to Jonjoe Shelvey and Long has been involved with England under age groups recently.

That Long is supposed to be very highly rated. He played about 5/6 games for Lincoln when he was 18 at the start of the season. There is talk that he could be their number 1 starting next season. 

11 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

That Long is supposed to be very highly rated. He played about 5/6 games for Lincoln when he was 18 at the start of the season. There is talk that he could be their number 1 starting next season. 

Sounds good. As we all know we need to unearth a top class keeper in the near future so if this lad wants to commit to us that's another promising one to watch. 

Just now, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

We need a new coaching setup in our youth teams, particularly the U21s, so badly. Turkey are utterly utterly dominant. We have them playing regressive football with a tactical setup that could be called naive at best. 

Not great. Nowhere near as composed as the seniors.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Currently 1-0 down. We've been utterly toothless so far, the Turks are well worth their lead.

No sign of Elliot Anderson either, not sure why.

I think I read he's gone to the dark side . 

England called...

However this is just a vague thought I think I read in a news feed this week..

2 minutes ago, stocky said:

I think I read he's gone to the dark side . 

England called...

However this is just a vague thought I think I read in a news feed this week..

Joey Barton’s saying he doesn’t know what’s happened. That it’s between Elliot and Newcastle. He’s trained with Bristol Rovers all week and never travelled. 

11 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Overall poor result, poor performance, can't see too many of these knocking on the door of the senior squad. Lost out on practically every 50-50, not sure whether we succeeded in stringing three passes together all evening.

Weird cos you’d think Peter Houston would have the boys right up for it…

Serious lack of quality in that squad last night. Shame some players from the previous game against Turkey haven’t kicked on. The development of players like Kai Kennedy has either regressed or plateau’d. And where was Stephen Kelly?? Playing every week for Salford and apparently impressing?

I was disappointed by a number of individuals, Ramsey had a mare, EPL based midfield was non existent though was bit better second half. Thought Slicker was decent, didn't have a chance with their second and you could tell Guardiola's influence from his intelligent distribution.

What I also don't get is why u21s were playing a completely different system to the senior team. Clarke has had success with three central defenders but the u21 only had two centre halves. Doesn't make sense if you're looking for continuity.

That was one of the worst performances I have seen from them. If that is the level they play at I can totally understand why Hicky doesn't want to play for them. The management team need to take a good look at themselves and make a decision to improve or leave. What SC thought of that must be mind numbing.