Plastic pitches.... - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Plastic pitches....

What is with plastic pitches. I watched the Celtic match yesterday and it got me thinking, I know, scary thought. Why??? It's just not proper football I'm my eyes, and I can't see the why a football club would want one. Its it a cost issue? Is it cheaper as you don't have to cut grass or water it regularly? I don't know. Seems the club who play on a plastic pitch, if you will, would have an advantage as they play on it every other week when other clubs don't.. Do Internationals play matches on plastic pitches? Has Scotland played a competitive match on a plastic pitch? I have had an illustrious football career as you know, "The Scotsman", Govan Bhoy, and I have slid many a cnut playing on a plastic pitch, it's murder.. Hated playing on them, and there is a fair few here in Ottawa because of Canadian football. Anyhoo, I don't like it, and feel football should be played on grass. The risk of injury is even higher.  My apologies if this has been brought up before.. BR 1314🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

The SPFL have the arithmetic to outvote Livingston and to impose the rule change that top flight teams must play on grass. 

This should be done before the end of the season. As Kilmarnock are pushing for promotion. 

I would love to see the change. Hopefully posts like yourself can get the message out there. Fans of all clubs should be pressuring their team on changing the rules. 

14 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

What is with plastic pitches. I watched the Celtic match yesterday and it got me thinking, I know, scary thought. Why??? It's just not proper football I'm my eyes, and I can't see the why a football club would want one. Its it a cost issue? Is it cheaper as you don't have to cut grass or water it regularly? I don't know. Seems the club who play on a plastic pitch, if you will, would have an advantage as they play on it every other week when other clubs don't.. Do Internationals play matches on plastic pitches? Has Scotland played a competitive match on a plastic pitch? I have had an illustrious football career as you know, "The Scotsman", Govan Bhoy, and I have slid many a cnut playing on a plastic pitch, it's murder.. Hated playing on them, and there is a fair few here in Ottawa because of Canadian football. Anyhoo, I don't like it, and feel football should be played on grass. The risk of injury is even higher.  My apologies if this has been brought up before.. BR 1314🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Very recently in fact. Faroe Islands use an artificial surface at their home stadium.

I'm guessing the decision is very much budgetary for the clubs who have these surfaces within the SPFL. While they do require maintenance they can be used around the clock allowing teams to train on them. In the evenings youth teams associated with the clubs can use the pitch to train instead of the club paying to use another training facility. This must be the thinking behind it and until the rule changes teams with lower revenue streams will continue to use these surfaces.

Further down the pyramid many clubs have artificial pitches. My club, Stenhousemuir, have one and it is always in use. First team training, community use and all the age group teams use it. A grass surface would only be available for first team fixtures only for the majority of the season forcing the club to hire training pitches and they would lose out on the income from the sessions it provides to members of the public who hire it out for 6-a-side/7-a-side games.

Obviously that's League Two but for clubs in the Premiership I understand fans being unhappy that their teams sometimes need to travel and play on these surfaces. Perhaps the question should be why are the finances at the top end of Scottish football so poor that some clubs feel the need to go with an artificial surface? Just something to think about.

I think it was Ronny Deila who said that plastic pitches are fine as long as they are of a certain standard and are watered and maintained properly. Hamilton (can't speak to Killie & Livi), often used to leave theirs bone dry when the bigger teams came so as to make passing the ball more difficult thereby risking injury not only to visiting teams but their own players. This practice is a fuckin disgrace and should be outlawed if teams must have them. Personally I'd ban the lot of them in the  top flight and with only one team currently in the league the clubs should be making that move now imo. 

Edited by slasher

17 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

They play CL matches on Artificial pitches, they play International games on them (Scotland played on one a matter of months ago). 

When you see the state of the some of the pitches in Scotland, i know what i'd rather play/watch football on. 

You are only moaning as Celtic are shite on them. 

2 hours ago, slasher said:

I think it was Ronny Deila who said that plastic pitches are fine as long as they are of a certain standard and are watered and maintained properly. Hamilton (can't speak to Killie & Livi), often used to leave theirs bone dry when the bigger teams came so as to make passing the ball more difficult thereby risking injury not only to visiting teams but their own players. This practice is a fuckin disgrace and should be outlawed if teams must have them. Personally I'd ban the lot of them in the  top flight and with only one team currently in the league the clubs should be making that move now imo. 

Ours is constantly watered before the game/at HT. 

Well be back next season to help Livi out with the votes. 😃

I'm not arsed either way about them, our home record is shite so not really a benefit. 

One massive bonus is that all our youth sides play on them. My nephew plays for Killie u9s and plays on it under the floodlights every week. You can see the buzz the opposition teams have when they get to play on the first teams pitches, even the likes of Celtic etc. They open the Moffat Stand and all the kids get to play in front of a crowd. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Would you rather watch a game on an artificial pitch (not the one at Livi as that one is a disgrace) or on pitches like the one at St Johnstone?

Most teams have pitch problems from time to time it doesn't mean plastic is better. Summer fitba is the answer but that's another debate. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Ours is constantly watered before the game/at HT. 

Well be back next season to help Livi out with the votes. 😃

I'm not arsed either way about them, our home record is shite so not really a benefit. 

One massive bonus is that all our youth sides play on them. My nephew plays for Killie u9s and plays on it under the floodlights every week. You can see the buzz the opposition teams have when they get to play on the first teams pitches, even the likes of Celtic etc. They open the Moffat Stand and all the kids get to play in front of a crowd. 

Haha! Feeling more confident now are ya? 😀

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Most teams have pitch problems from time to time it doesn't mean plastic is better. Summer fitba is the answer but that's another debate. 

I agree that summer football is the way forward. I was merely highlighting the misconception that artificial is bad and grass is good.

Ive played on some exceptional artificial pitches in my time. The one that used to be at Spartans was better than most grass pitches. Dont know what was different about it but it was brilliant. As ive said previously Livi's is a disgrace and shouldnt be allowed. Its uneven, you can see it with the naked eye. 

For me grass is the ideal but there has to be standards. Ultimately it comes down to cost. I think clubs should have to spend a certain amount on the upkeep of their pitch along with a certain amount on youth development. If that was a rule then it wouldnt matter to the finances of clubs as all teams would be doing it so would still be a level playing field.

Might mean not being able to sign certain players but equally the opposition couldnt either.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They play CL matches on Artificial pitches, they play International games on them (Scotland played on one a matter of months ago). 

When you see the state of the some of the pitches in Scotland, i know what i'd rather play/watch football on. 

You are only moaning as Celtic are shite on them. 

What a load of shite. This has nothing to do with me supporting Celtic, it's a personal opinion which I am entitled to. I would wager that if you did a pole with all football clubs in Scotland on the use of plastic pitches, I am willing to bet the majority would agree with me.. Enjoy the day SH..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

21 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

What a load of shite. This has nothing to do with me supporting Celtic, it's a personal opinion which I am entitled to. I would wager that if you did a pole with all football clubs in Scotland on the use of plastic pitches, I am willing to bet the majority would agree with me.. Enjoy the day SH..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Why are they allowed then given its the clubs who make the rules?

As somebody said above, theres only 1 in the top flight atm but no motion to ban then which would pass with flying colours if you were correct.

Clubs understand finances. Fans dont.

On 3/8/2022 at 3:03 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just as I'm entitled to say you are talking shite.

• 5 months later...

Just watching the interview with big Ange before the match tomorrow and see he is resting a couple players because of that shit plastic pitch at rugby Park. I've said it before, they should get rid of them all together when players have to sit out at risk of injury.. I just don't get it....

45 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just watching the interview with big Ange before the match tomorrow and see he is resting a couple players because of that shit plastic pitch at rugby Park. I've said it before, they should get rid of them all together when players have to sit out at risk of injury.. I just don't get it....

Come on Ramy, I would have thought you would love plastic pitches wi you being a plastic Scotsman 😜

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

Never heard a player or manager say they relish playing on them unless they happen to play or manage for a club with one

Fair point. It is also an unfair advantage to  Killmarnock as they know the surface as they on it every second week. I have played on them, they are terrible and hard on the body... They should be banned !!! Just my opinion of course...

38 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Fair point. It is also an unfair advantage to  Killmarnock as they know the surface as they on it every second week. I have played on them, they are terrible and hard on the body... They should be banned !!! Just my opinion of course...

Disagree. It can't be that much of an advantage to Killie, they got relegated two years ago.

Players train on those pitches sometimes too. I play on one twice a week and they're fine

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Disagree. It can't be that much of an advantage to Killie, they got relegated two years ago.

Players train on those pitches sometimes too. I play on one twice a week and they're fine

I see your point. I did not say They make you play better, just saying a team having played on plastic pitches more often than not, has more of an advantage to those who don't. Knowing bounce of the ball, speed of the ball, turning, runs, you get what I mean VA. Nothing would have saved Killie 2 year ago, they were just plain shite. 12 men on the park would not have saved them that year.. It's all about personal opinions, I have played on them also, and never liked them...