Solidarity flag for Ukraine game/Sunshine Appeal - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Solidarity flag for Ukraine game/Sunshine Appeal

All Blues

I feel quite strongly that we should show support for and solidarity with the people of Ukraine during the playoff match. Could we raise money for a massive Ukraine flag with a message of support on it and use any surplus funds for a Ukrainian charity through the sunshine appeal? I don't know how to go about this sort of thing - i just had the idea - but maybe folks have done this sort of thing before? If you disagree, that's fine, but pls keep it respectful. 

14 minutes ago, All Blues said:

I feel quite strongly that we should show support for and solidarity with the people of Ukraine during the playoff match. Could we raise money for a massive Ukraine flag with a message of support on it and use any surplus funds for a Ukrainian charity through the sunshine appeal? I don't know how to go about this sort of thing - i just had the idea - but maybe folks have done this sort of thing before? If you disagree, that's fine, but pls keep it respectful. 

Good!

There is absolutely no need for this nonsense at a football match.

I think if we were being invaded by a larger neighbour i would appreciate fans of another country showing they cared. The game will presumably presumably be watched all over Ukraine. Anyway, I'm not looking for a vote on this, I'm trying to see if there are other fans who feel the same way. TA are known to be big - hearted. 

In the unlikely event that the game goes ahead, I'm all for a big gesture of support. Let me know what you need. This goes way beyond football. The Ukrainians should feel the TA welcoming warmth, before we beat them. We will be on TV across Europe (inc. Russia) and it will reflect well on Scotland, as well as demonstrating strong 'outside' support for Ukraine.

Why don't we all learn the Ukrainian national anthem?

Brilliant, thanks both. We can sometimes hardly remember our own anthem but if we could pull it off what a fantastic gesture that would be! We'll wait and see what is decided at today's UEFA meeting but, in the meantime, i have put in for a quote on a big flag, maybe a half n half with a Saltire. 

10 hours ago, tartan davie said:

cant they put the words up on the big screen at hampden in scottish so that the fans who want to sing it can do so.

Not allowed to have/do anything political at games, nae even on T shirts players wear under their strip.  

I empathise with the human suffering felt by Ukrainians. I hope their country survives, conflict ends, and democracy and diplomacy wins. It's shocking.

I am very much hopeful that Ukraine will field a B team made up of players across their European leagues on the 24rth of March. I hope they do, they deserve to play the game as much as we do. 

Whoever's in the Ukrainian squad, they will give Scotland one of our toughest matches. Just like that Czech B team gave us a really difficult game.

On 2/26/2022 at 11:59 PM, RDFH64 said:

Not allowed to have/do anything political at games, nae even on T shirts players wear under their strip.  

While that makes total sense, what if the words of both national anthems were displayed for all to see on the big screen? We can't be charged with (political) bias then surely? 

1 minute ago, Bigordie said:

While that makes total sense, what if the words of both national anthems were displayed for all to see on the big screen? We can't be charged with (political) bias then surely? 

Not in a sane ethical world but football isn’t run by a sane ethical organisation is it, money grabbing corrupt thieves devoid of any humanitarian thoughts.