Ukraine - Page 64 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

This is nothing new. Everybody with a knowledge of WW2 knows this.

Well obviously it was 70 years ago. Calling shite on that though. I don't think most people do know. I certainly didn't

The Nazi sympathizer above was telling us with a straight face not that long ago there are no nazis in Ukraine and it is anti Semitic to say so.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Well obviously it was 70 years ago. Calling shite on that though. I don't think most people do know. I certainly didn't

The Nazi sympathizer above was telling us with a straight face not that long ago there are no nazis in Ukraine and it is anti Semitic to say so.

Well, I have a half-decent knowledge of what went on in Eastern Europe during WW2

I can't contribute much about the North African or Far East campaigns, but Eastern Europe? That's my thing 

I have watched numerous documentaries numerous times and have visited numerous museums and sites in Berlin, Munich, Warsaw, Lodz, Auschwitz, Budapest, Kaunas, Vilnius, Riga, Minsk, Oslo, Yad Vashem, Prague, Lviv, Kiev.

Having lived under Stalin's rule for umpteen years, it's no surprise some people welcomed the Nazi's in some places.

Let's not forget, through collectivisation, Stalin instigated a famine in Ukraine in the 1930's in  which 5 million Ukranians starved to death.

My understanding is that the Russians living in the east of Ukraine today are the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of the Russians Stalin moved into Ukraine after the 5 million Ukrainians had died.

As for now. There are neo-Nazi's all over the place; including Russia.

41 minutes ago, thplinth said:

More lies

On 2/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, Ally Bongo said:

Regardless of Thplinth's smears Cadwalladr has been excellent on the Facebook/Cambridge Analytica data scandal and as far as i am aware was more interested in Russian interference in the Brexit vote through Aaron Banks and Facebook's role with the Trump campaign rather than Russia and Trump

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook–Cambridge_Analytica_data_scandal

https://thegrayzone.com/2022/06/21/british-journalists-mason-cadwalladr-security-state-lapdogs/

😀

14 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Well, I have a half-decent knowledge of what went on in Eastern Europe during WW2

I can't contribute much about the North African or Far East campaigns, but Eastern Europe? That's my thing 

I have watched numerous documentaries numerous times and have visited numerous museums and sites in Berlin, Munich, Warsaw, Lodz, Auschwitz, Budapest, Kaunas, Vilnius, Riga, Minsk, Oslo, Yad Vashem, Prague, Lviv, Kiev.

Having lived under Stalin's rule for umpteen years, it's no surprise some people welcomed the Nazi's in some places.

Let's not forget, through collectivisation, Stalin instigated a famine in Ukraine in the 1930's in  which 5 million Ukranians starved to death.

My understanding is that the Russians living in the east of Ukraine today are the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of the Russians Stalin moved into Ukraine after the 5 million Ukrainians had died.

As for now. There are neo-Nazi's all over the place; including Russia.

If the Nazis had conquered the UK I dare say there would have been plenty collaborators here as well. Might be a few candidates on this thread even. 😉

Is there much distinction between Russian and Ukrainian ethnically speaking? Putin has described Kiev as the first Russian city (historically speaking).

My point with the Galicia region was that despite liking the nazis it is relatively small part of modern Ukraine (and is perhaps not worth fighting WWIII over).

The Holodomor like the Armenian genocide is relatively overlooked. (Both influenced Hitler as well.) It is interesting to me that communism is not stigmatized to the same extent or more as nazism considering how many people they murdered. That is a thread in itself though.

19 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

There were Nazi collaborators all over Europe. In Hungary, Romania, France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia, Croatia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia.

Aye it is complex.

1920px-Finnish_Waffen-SS_volunteers_of_t

These lads are Finnish. 😀

16 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Very interesting that. Thinking about it I am sure this will 'explain' why these ultranationalists see ethnic-Russian Ukrainians as invaders that need ethnically cleansed.. It also explains how they can shell residential neighbourhoods with moral impunity, they don't see them as 'real' Ukrainians. They killed 14,000 in 8 years doing that. And they ramped it up massively just before Russia invaded. It also explains things like banning the Russian language and other 'ethnic cleansing' type moves.

The Russians however view the Ukrainians as the 'same as them' (excluding the eastern ultranationalists). This is why they have tried to minimise the civilian casualties (or at least that is what they have stated). This policy was quite costly for them in terms of lives especially in the beginning.

These ultranationalists are the ones behind the coup and they were backed by the US. It is absolute insanity.

---------------

The Ukrainians are now sustaining massive losses.

This commander reveals to Sky News that he has lost 80% of his original unit. 

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Very interesting that. Thinking about it I am sure this will 'explain' why these ultranationalists see ethnic-Russian Ukrainians as invaders that need ethnically cleansed.. It also explains how they can shell residential neighbourhoods with moral impunity, they don't see them as 'real' Ukrainians. They killed 14,000 in 8 years doing that. And they ramped it up massively just before Russia invaded. It also explains things like banning the Russian language and other 'ethnic cleansing' type moves.

The Russians however view the Ukrainians as the 'same as them' (excluding the eastern ultranationalists). This is why they have tried to minimise the civilian casualties (or at least that is what they have stated). This policy was quite costly for them in terms of lives especially in the beginning.

These ultranationalists are the ones behind the coup and they were backed by the US. It is absolute insanity.

---------------

The Ukrainians are now sustaining massive losses.

This commander reveals to Sky News that he has lost 80% of his original unit. 

Get real, we’ve all seen how Russia has tried to minimise Ukrainian civilian casualties or were all the cruise missiles & artillery shells just bad or unlucky misfiring 🤯

6 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Get real, we’ve all seen how Russia has tried to minimise Ukrainian civilian casualties or were all the cruise missiles & artillery shells just bad or unlucky misfiring 🤯

And here’s another.

According to Timothy Snyder, "something that is never said, because it's inconvenient for precisely everyone (and Thplinth), is that more Ukrainian Communists collaborated with the Germans, than did Ukrainian nationalists." Snyder also points out that very many of those who collaborated with the German occupation also collaborated with the Soviet policies in the 1930s

Ultranationalists tho ...........

Don't know shit about this supermarket attack and would not comment one way or the other.

As I have stated many times you simply cannot know if these incidents are true or not.

Interestingly aaid and bumchums are going 'all in' on their reputations on this one. Risky.

My "sources" are saying a repair facility behind the shopping centre was the target.

Кременчугские дорожные машины or Kremenchuk road vehicles is the name of it.

You can see it directly north of the shopping centre. Whether a huge civilian repair facility is a military target is certainly a fuzzy line. Also no way to know if it was repairing military vehicles. Very plausible deniability.

Probably best avoid bombing cities in an act of aggression just to be sure this sort of thing doesn't happen.

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Don't know shit about this supermarket attack and would not comment one way or the other.

As I have stated many times you simply cannot know if these incidents are true or not.

Interestingly aaid and bumchums are going 'all in' on their reputations on this one. Risky.

It’s your bumchums in Moscow who have been going ‘all in’ and their reputation as a war mongering regime who quite happily fire missiles into clearly civilian targets cannot be denied but I’m sure you’ll find a way with your warped ideology. If you hate the west and think Russia is such a great place why aren’t you living there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, thplinth said:

The thplinth appears to be missing in action, maybe he’s on the front line in the Donbas or waved his white flag in surrender.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/10/canada-to-return-repaired-nord-stream-1-turbine-expand-sanctions-on-russia.html

In post truth bizarro land this is right up there. Returning a turbine against sanctions so europe can continue importing sanctioned gas until they don't need to whilst claiming unwavering support for Ukraine.

Read last week JP Morgan have estimated the Russian economy will shrink by a whopping 3.5%; their interest rate is back where it was prior to invasion; the ruble was performing so strongly flogging sanctioned gas they've had to devalue it themselves to remain competitive and; unemployment at 4%.

Whilst we're all huddling about at Central heating parties this winter we can at least seek solice in these sanctions really showing the bastards!

Fuck me what is going on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The bank's governor, Andrew Bailey, blamed Russia for the high energy prices which are pushing up inflation - the rate at which prices rise

Incredible brass neck on this guy.

We made a completely voluntary decision to sanction Russia. A decision we could reverse at the stroke of a pen.

Those idiotic sanctions have backfired on us in a very bad way, damaging our economy far more than it did Russia's.

But they won't reverse the sanctions even though it is obvious it is economic suicide.

Instead we all have to live with the colossal costs of the sanctions simply to 'save face' for our worm politicians. 

If sanctions hurt you more than the thing being sanctioned then by definition they are stupid. Like punching yourself in the face to teach someone else a lesson. Moronic.

This is why interest rates and inflation are going through the roof (printing all that money did not help but it was this that truly ignited it), this is why we entering a recession, this is why we have stagflation, this is why we have ridiculous heating costs and why you will need a new mortgage to fill up your car. And this has not even really started yet.

All UK political parties and especially the tories should be fucking shot for going along with this madness.

Totally, totally self inflicted. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:
  • The bank's governor, Andrew Bailey, blamed Russia for the high energy prices which are pushing up inflation - the rate at which prices rise

Incredible brass neck on this guy.

We made a completely voluntary decision to sanction Russia. A decision we could reverse at the stroke of a pen.

Those idiotic sanctions have backfired on us in a very bad way, damaging our economy far more than it did Russia's.

But they won't reverse the sanctions even though it is obvious it is economic suicide.

Instead we all have to live with the colossal costs of the sanctions simply to 'save face' for our worm politicians. 

If sanctions hurt you more than the thing being sanctioned then by definition they are stupid. Like punching yourself in the face to teach someone else a lesson. Moronic.

This is why interest rates and inflation are going through the roof (printing all that money did not help but it was this that truly ignited it), this is why we entering a recession, this is why we have stagflation, this is why we have ridiculous heating costs and why you will need a new mortgage to fill up your car. And this has not even really started yet.

All UK political parties and especially the tories should be fucking shot for going along with this madness.

Totally, totally self inflicted. 

I agree with much of what you say.  Absolute shit show to blame Russia.  We should not behold to Russia for anything.

still think we should be helping Ukrainians but we have to look at ourselves for this terrible situation that is unfolding.

energy security is paramount.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I agree with much of what you say.  Absolute shit show to blame Russia.  We should not behold to Russia for anything.

still think we should be helping Ukrainians but we have to look at ourselves for this terrible situation that is unfolding.

energy security is paramount.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/8/3/germanys-scholz-blames-russia-in-energy-row-says-tribune-works

Kremlin spokesman says the generator for Nord II being shipped to Russia from Germany is delayed because the Russians are awaiting paperwork to confirm it wouldn't break sanction protocol them accepting it from Germany.  Credit where its due - that's top trolling!

If they're skint too surely they'd want it up and running otherwise it's a not bad pokerface they're playing with.

China on the other hand have sanctioned Taiwan but not semi conductors as that would harm themselves more than Taiwan.

Our strategy in comparison seems all over the shop apart from the profiteering. I genuinely think we're fucked. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/8/4/ukrainian-armys-residential-bases-endangering-civilians-amnesty

Amnesty finds Ukraine making bases in schools and hospitals when military facilities and dense wood available.

In fairness they'd have probably lost by now doing it that way but adds perspective a little deeper than big bad Russia just bombing civillians for shits and giggles because mad Vlad is a Bond villain caricature.