Ukraine - Page 46 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

18 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nazanin Zaghari -Ratcliffe released by Iran (supposedly after the UK paid the money it owed them which i take with a pinch of salt) and then this

There couldn’t be a more powerful sign of which way the wind is blowing in Ukraine. China meeting with Ukraine officials in Lviv. “We have seen how great the unity of the Ukrainian people is” the Chinese ambassador is quoted as saying

I’m maybe being obtuse but don’t get how that means the windsock is tilted in Ukraine's favour.  We’ve settled a 40 year debt and paid it as aid to get around sanctions in what is essentially a hostage situation.  Russia are currently sitting as shitebag champions so we have to bring lesser shitebag nations back into the fold as a consequence with Iran, Venezuala and Saudi all suddenly less treated as pariah states.  Going on an arse kissing mission to Saudi, who’re complicit in the deaths of c.400,000 brown muslimy folk in Yemen, to ask them to squeak a bit more of their product out because we’ve sanctioned a country who’ve thus far killed far fewer white mainly white folk seems completely incongruous.

China are walking a tightrope but what China are saying back home is completely different too – all today/yesterday:

International voices urge US explanation for bioweapons accusations - Global Times

US need to stop fucking about with chemical laboratories in other countries essentially is what China are saying. 

Unreasonable, sinister for NATO to push China to condemn Russia - Global Times

The Ukraine crisis was largely triggered by NATO's aggressive eastward expansion. The bloc is the culprit. Instead of reflecting on itself, NATO piles pressure on other countries to stand with it against Russia. This is unreasonable and quite sinister.

Chinese FM hits back as West pressures China to choose sides in Ukraine crisis - Global Times

Zhao Lijian noted that China's position on the peace talks has been consistent. "You can check China's previous statements on hotspot issues related to Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, and Palestine."

However, the US and NATO's position is clearly hypocritical, especially when associated with the racist tendencies that drip from some Western media reports, Zhao said.

"Were you similarly so concerned about the casualties of the Iraqi, Syrian, Afghan and Palestinian people in the past? Did they mean nothing to you?" Zhao asked. "Did you care nothing about these civilian casualties in Yugoslavia in 1999?"

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I’m maybe being obtuse but don’t get how that means the windsock is tilted in Ukraine's favour.  We’ve settled a 40 year debt and paid it as aid to get around sanctions in what is essentially a hostage situation.  Russia are currently sitting as shitebag champions so we have to bring lesser shitebag nations back into the fold as a consequence with Iran, Venezuala and Saudi all suddenly less treated as pariah states.  Going on an arse kissing mission to Saudi, who’re complicit in the deaths of c.400,000 brown muslimy folk in Yemen, to ask them to squeak a bit more of their product out because we’ve sanctioned a country who’ve thus far killed far fewer white mainly white folk seems completely incongruous.

China are walking a tightrope but what China are saying back home is completely different too – all today/yesterday:

International voices urge US explanation for bioweapons accusations - Global Times

US need to stop fucking about with chemical laboratories in other countries essentially is what China are saying. 

Unreasonable, sinister for NATO to push China to condemn Russia - Global Times

The Ukraine crisis was largely triggered by NATO's aggressive eastward expansion. The bloc is the culprit. Instead of reflecting on itself, NATO piles pressure on other countries to stand with it against Russia. This is unreasonable and quite sinister.

Chinese FM hits back as West pressures China to choose sides in Ukraine crisis - Global Times

Zhao Lijian noted that China's position on the peace talks has been consistent. "You can check China's previous statements on hotspot issues related to Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, and Palestine."

However, the US and NATO's position is clearly hypocritical, especially when associated with the racist tendencies that drip from some Western media reports, Zhao said.

"Were you similarly so concerned about the casualties of the Iraqi, Syrian, Afghan and Palestinian people in the past? Did they mean nothing to you?" Zhao asked. "Did you care nothing about these civilian casualties in Yugoslavia in 1999?"

just goes to show you what happens when we tie our economy to Russian oil or global wholesale energy market.  We must reopen oil extraction, explore fracking and build a shedload of nuclear power now.  The long term answer is to bring the price of electricity down so we can move from fossil fuels such as gas boilers and combustion engine to electric boilers - nuclear is by far the cheapest way to achieve this, but will take us twenty years to get in place. We need an absolute shedload of investment in nuclear, small reactors up and down the length of the country.

in the meantime we need oil to be self sufficient.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

just goes to show you what happens when we tie our economy to Russian oil or global wholesale energy market.  We must reopen oil extraction, explore fracking and build a shedload of nuclear power now.  The long term answer is to bring the price of electricity down so we can move from fossil fuels such as gas boilers and combustion engine to electric boilers - nuclear is by far the cheapest way to achieve this, but will take us twenty years to get in place. We need an absolute shedload of investment in nuclear, small reactors up and down the length of the country.

in the meantime we need oil to be self sufficient.

Nuclear is in no way the cheapest way, and for a small island, in the unlikely event of anything happening it would make a large proportion of the country uninhabitable,, hydrogen/carbon capture and renewables is the answer,, we are now away to start dealing with Venezuela for oil, one of the least economical oil you get with a massive carbon footprint for extraction. Its time to drill,drill,drill in the northsea and west of scotland, there are massive gas deposits west of the Hebrides, the benbecula reservoir is apparently a large deposit, you van see it on the left of the photo attached, there is still shit loads of oil/gas out in the northsea, we might as well exploit it to our own gain instead of importing   

48E646B3-D700-4F49-8EC6-D733DAB58E81.jpeg

4 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Nuclear is in no way the cheapest way, and for a small island, in the unlikely event of anything happening it would make a large proportion of the country uninhabitable,, hydrogen/carbon capture and renewables is the answer,, we are now away to start dealing with Venezuela for oil, one of the least economical oil you get with a massive carbon footprint for extraction. Its time to drill,drill,drill in the northsea and west of scotland, there are massive gas deposits west of the Hebrides, the benbecula reservoir is apparently a large deposit, you van see it on the left of the photo attached, there is still shit loads of oil/gas out in the northsea, we might as well exploit it to our own gain instead of importing   

48E646B3-D700-4F49-8EC6-D733DAB58E81.jpeg

ok, fair point, but the difference between nuclear and renewables is consistency of supply.  You could use nuclear force the base supply then top up with renewables and or/ oil.

You can use excess renewable power to make hydrogen, then use hydrogen power to maintain supply.   No carbon involved in either direction.

I don't know how much renewable is needed for the whole country, though obviously Scotland is in a far better position than the whole UK (apart from solar 🙄 ).

= = =

Drifting off-topic, but just looking stuff up:

UK is currently about 42% renewable (19% nuclear, 49% fossil).   Scotland's renewable output could cover 97% of its own electricity consumption, but we export power, so must be less (about -25% ?) for total generation.

There is a gap though in that gas cooking/heating is not included in these power generation figures.

‘Neutrality’ suddenly seems a less shit option than it was 3 weeks ago bizarrely. 

More important things going on obviously but seems kind of weird we’re hearing BBC on how Ukraine could rise out of having their country turned to ruin, remain the shit in the sandwich between US/Nato on the left and Russia on the right but still rise from the flames like a glorious phoenix basing themselves on Finland or Austria yet we’re apparently too fucking useless ourselves to survive despite coming from the glorious base position we’re in with the Union.    

21 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

‘Neutrality’ suddenly seems a less shit option than it was 3 weeks ago bizarrely. 

More important things going on obviously but seems kind of weird we’re hearing BBC on how Ukraine could rise out of having their country turned to ruin, remain the shit in the sandwich between US/Nato on the left and Russia on the right but still rise from the flames like a glorious phoenix basing themselves on Finland or Austria yet we’re apparently too fucking useless ourselves to survive despite coming from the glorious base position we’re in with the Union.    

We don't have the same fighting spirit that the Ukrainians do. We couldn't even be bothered voting for independence, never mind fighting for it.

37 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

You can use excess renewable power to make hydrogen, then use hydrogen power to maintain supply.   No carbon involved in either direction.

I don't know how much renewable is needed for the whole country, though obviously Scotland is in a far better position than the whole UK (apart from solar 🙄 ).

= = =

Drifting off-topic, but just looking stuff up:

UK is currently about 42% renewable (19% nuclear, 49% fossil).   Scotland's renewable output could cover 97% of its own electricity consumption, but we export power, so must be less (about -25% ?) for total generation.

There is a gap though in that gas cooking/heating is not included in these power generation figures.

The problems for all these things, carbon capture and green hydrogen is scaling it up.

We need to work out how to increase capacities way above where they are now and we need to do it quickly.  With Green hydrogen we need to sort out the green electricity component first as well.

Obviously doable if the will is there.

33 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We don't have the same fighting spirit that the Ukrainians do. We couldn't even be bothered voting for independence, never mind fighting for it.

Saw a mad as fuck looking Ukrainian bloke on Inside Story on AJ saying Zelenskyy might not get support for neutrality and they may instead replace him and carry on. 

We'd shit ourselves if Boris stopped the recycling bins for a fortnight.  

28 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Saw a mad as fuck looking Ukrainian bloke on Inside Story on AJ saying Zelenskyy might not get support for neutrality and they may instead replace him and carry on. 

I was thinking about this last night when the supposed terms came through from Turkey

Imagine it was your country and the oppressor had reduced many of your cities to rubble and deliberately bombed women and children

Id be saying fuck that to those terms as well

35 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I was thinking about this last night when the supposed terms came through from Turkey

Imagine it was your country and the oppressor had reduced many of your cities to rubble and deliberately bombed women and children

Id be saying fuck that to those terms as well

On the other hand is joining NATO really worth getting killed for?

Why does no one mention this:

The Azov Special Operations Detachment (Ukrainian: Окремий загін спеціального призначення «Азов», romanizedOkremyi zahin spetsialnoho pryznachennia "Azov"), also known as the Azov Detachment, Azov Regiment (Ukrainian: Полк Азов, romanizedPolk Azov), Azov Battalion (until September 2014), or simply Azov, is a right-wing extremist,[1][2] neo-Nazi,[3][4][5] formerly paramilitary unit of the National Guard of Ukraine,[6][7][8] based in Mariupol, in the Azov Sea coastal region.[9] Azov initially formed as a volunteer militia in May 2014,[10] and has since been fighting Russian separatist forces in the Donbas War. It saw its first combat experience recapturing Mariupol from pro-Russian separatists in June 2014.[6] On 12 November 2014, Azov was incorporated into the National Guard of Ukraine, and since then all members have been official soldiers serving in the National Guard

And this

https://www.dw.com/en/the-azov-battalion-extremists-defending-mariupol/a-61151151

What is happening in this city is horrendous and to be condemned but watching the media you would have no idea why the Russians are focussing on Mariupol. Telling us about this isn't acting like a Putin apologist but it is giving you some important context.

This suggests to me that they are trying to destroy what they see as an ultra-nationalist stronghold. 

Edited by Lamia

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

Why does no one mention this:

The Azov Special Operations Detachment (Ukrainian: Окремий загін спеціального призначення «Азов», romanizedOkremyi zahin spetsialnoho pryznachennia "Azov"), also known as the Azov Detachment, Azov Regiment (Ukrainian: Полк Азов, romanizedPolk Azov), Azov Battalion (until September 2014), or simply Azov, is a right-wing extremist,[1][2] neo-Nazi,[3][4][5] formerly paramilitary unit of the National Guard of Ukraine,[6][7][8] based in Mariupol, in the Azov Sea coastal region.[9] Azov initially formed as a volunteer militia in May 2014,[10] and has since been fighting Russian separatist forces in the Donbas War. It saw its first combat experience recapturing Mariupol from pro-Russian separatists in June 2014.[6] On 12 November 2014, Azov was incorporated into the National Guard of Ukraine, and since then all members have been official soldiers serving in the National Guard

And this

https://www.dw.com/en/the-azov-battalion-extremists-defending-mariupol/a-61151151

What is happening in this city is horrendous and to be condemned but watching the media you would have no idea why the Russians are focussing on Mariupol. Telling us about this isn't acting like a Putin apologist but it is giving you some important context.

This suggests to me that they are trying to destroy what they see as an ultra-nationalist stronghold. 

Do keep up - see earlier posts

Nobody mentions this group either on the other side

https://www.thedailybeast.com/wagners-rusich-neo-nazi-attack-unit-hints-its-going-back-into-ukraine-undercover

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Do keep up - see earlier posts

Nobody mentions this group either on the other side

https://www.thedailybeast.com/wagners-rusich-neo-nazi-attack-unit-hints-its-going-back-into-ukraine-undercover

I was talking about here and yes why is this not mentioned either. I would imagine there are Neo Nazis from around the world involved. 

Edited by Lamia

9 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I was talking about here and yes why is this not mentioned either. I would imagine there are Neo Nazis from around the world involved. 

Do you have thplinth on ignore? Or do you just not read the stuff that he posts. He has posted loads of interesting stuff about them.

I'm not sure there is an effective difference. Between, any of these orginisations used in various conflicts. Blackwater(or whatever they call themselves, Azov, Wagner etc)

They're all morally reprehensible.

What noun you use to describe them seems irrelevant and more akin to, is it enhanced interogation or torture variety of discussion.

There maybe is functional differences though i'm far from educated on this.

I looked at all the in/dis/mis-information and thought without some serious expenditure of time you're either going to be uninformed or misinformed in this subject. I do not have the time so my choices are to be uninformed or misinformed. I picked uninformed cause that way it saves me hours a week of reading.

3 hours ago, Lamia said:

The Azov Battalion are not a paramilitary group however and I think this is significant

formerly paramilitary unit of the National Guard of Ukraine

The only difference as far as i can tell is that Ukraine eventually admitted incorporating them into the military whereas Russia hasnt - although they most certainly have 

53 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

formerly paramilitary unit of the National Guard of Ukraine

The only difference as far as i can tell is that Ukraine eventually admitted incorporating them into the military whereas Russia hasnt - although they most certainly have 

Which is the exact reason why this is significant. 

4 hours ago, phart said:

I'm not sure there is an effective difference. Between, any of these orginisations used in various conflicts. Blackwater(or whatever they call themselves, Azov, Wagner etc)

They're all morally reprehensible.

What noun you use to describe them seems irrelevant and more akin to, is it enhanced interogation or torture variety of discussion.

There maybe is functional differences though i'm far from educated on this.

I looked at all the in/dis/mis-information and thought without some serious expenditure of time you're either going to be uninformed or misinformed in this subject. I do not have the time so my choices are to be uninformed or misinformed. I picked uninformed cause that way it saves me hours a week of reading.

The difference is the Asov battalion is incorporated into the Ukrainian military

The person who formed the battalion was also an MP.