New dons boss - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New dons boss

7 hours ago, slasher said:

Anyone else think they've appointed a silver McInnes? Goodwin was probably top of the list of candidates I saw...... but that's probably the worst list of candidates I've seen for a job of that standing ever! 

Any club out with the old firm will have a less than exciting list of candidates. You only have to look at the managers of all ten of the non OF clubs to see that.

Aberdeen have to go for a safe appointment or a young up and coming manager who's cut his teeth on a lower budget in the same league.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Any club out with the old firm will have a less than exciting list of candidates. You only have to look at the managers of all ten of the non OF clubs to see that.

Aberdeen have to go for a safe appointment or a young up and coming manager who's cut his teeth on a lower budget in the same league.

I guess my point is they should maybe just have stuck with Del boy. 🙅‍♂️

7 hours ago, slasher said:

This Delia? Let's be having you! 

I'm a bit surprised any Aberdeen fan thinks otherwise. This is the stereotypically boring appointment, it's definitely not sexy. Doesn't mean it's wrong 🙅‍♂️

Screenshot_20220220_004608_com.android.chrome.jpg

Would huv been better with her than the one you got 👍

16 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Would huv been better with her than the one you got 👍

How so? He did alright with probably the worst budget any Celtic manager has had in recent times and unlike Lennon had the honesty to walk away and acknowledge when it was too much for him. The biggest disaster we've had managerial wise apart from Lennon mk2 was Mowbray. 

35 minutes ago, slasher said:

Anyway, we're kinda getting off the point here, which is, whether you think McInnes' time was up or not, I don't think Aberdeen have traded up in terms of manager. 🤔

I suspect a lot (most?) of football people in general will see it exactly the way you put it

Personally, our chairman's credibility has taken a kicking, which this appointment highlights

He's here now though and he'll get the support - There will be no lack of effort there

I very much doubt there was any real desire to get Knutsen, and DC would have shat his pants if he'd been given any encouragement anyway

Edited by Redz
Autocorrect

21 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Think it would have been Chris Woods in goals for Rangers. 

Think your correct there

i honestly cant mind as we never really got that close

gilhaus had a header too ;but he was always struggling to reach its height ( the cross that is ) both the these chances were in first half in front of us

/ i recall the press photographers handing back the team lines to fans in front rows - we knew at that stage smith had bottled it

shame 

4 hours ago, slasher said:

Anyway, we're kinda getting off the point here, which is, whether you think McInnes' time was up or not, I don't think Aberdeen have traded up in terms of manager. 🤔

His time was up 2 or 3 years ago, he thought he was untouchable & got complacent, he also realised with Rangers back it would be a lot harder to stay second best. 👍

On 2/20/2022 at 12:17 AM, slasher said:

Anyone else think they've appointed a silver McInnes? Goodwin was probably top of the list of candidates I saw...... but that's probably the worst list of candidates I've seen for a job of that standing ever! 

Reflects the quality of the league; how far behind the rest are these days and the salary on offer - so sadly not such a great standing anymore. Unlikely to get a top coach from elsewhere these days.

Having seen Celtic & Rangers in the flesh recently there's nothing special (other than Celtic for 20 mins maybe) yet they're miles clear of 3rd.

11 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

Reflects the quality of the league; how far behind the rest are these days and the salary on offer - so sadly not such a great standing anymore. Unlikely to get a top coach from elsewhere these days.

Having seen Celtic & Rangers in the flesh recently there's nothing special (other than Celtic for 20 mins maybe) yet they're miles clear of 3rd.

I would say that it also reflects a lack of imagination as well, but I guess Cormack has had his fingers burnt with Glass so is now risk averse. 

Don’t think he got his fingers burnt. It didn’t work out, and to be honest (with  hindsight) it was odds against it being a success, however, fair play for rolling the dice. If it had worked would have been great. Prior to this was he considered a great by the sheep….. guess he prob was for his cup final goals?

1 hour ago, ger intae them said:

Don’t think he got his fingers burnt. It didn’t work out, and to be honest (with  hindsight) it was odds against it being a success, however, fair play for rolling the dice. If it had worked would have been great. Prior to this was he considered a great by the sheep….. guess he prob was for his cup final goals?

He never scored in a cup final

3 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Prior to this was he considered a great by the sheep….. 

No, not at all

46 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Ok, googled his record and misread it…… for his cup final setting up of goals?

As above

Personally I really wanted him to succeed and was probably one of the last to call it a day

Decent player back in the day however, there are only a handful of Dons who would be considered a 'Great,' and SG is nowhere near them