New dons boss - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New dons boss

2 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

I take it you mean the ibrox title decider, it was the ref who bottled it by letting Hately assault our keeper 🤬

Nah, Smith bottled it by changing the 4-3-3 that had got us on the brink of the title to a 4-4-2 because we only needed a draw.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

It’s worth an official eufa ️ Have a nice night 👍

For most clubs who have a star on their shirt, it represents a number of domestic league championships, typically 10.  Other clubs have one or more to represent European Cup and/or Champions League wins.  Aberdeen are the only club in Europe to have a star which represents a Super Cup win.  The fact that none of the other 30 odd teams that have won the Super Cup do likewise probably tells you where that sits in the grand scheme of things.  

1 hour ago, aaid said:

For most clubs who have a star on their shirt, it represents a number of domestic league championships, typically 10.  Other clubs have one or more to represent European Cup and/or Champions League wins.  Aberdeen are the only club in Europe to have a star which represents a Super Cup win.  The fact that none of the other 30 odd teams that have won the Super Cup do likewise probably tells you where that sits in the grand scheme of things.  

🤣🤣🤣

Saints fan here and I’m quite surprised that Aberdeen have went for Goodwin, but wish him the best of luck. He’s an absolute gent and has a lot of affection for our club and vice versa. 

Watching us week-in, week-out, over his tenure I’ve just seen us as a very middle of the road team. Granted that middle of the road and 7th place finish is better than many a other year for Saints. 

He keeps games very tight and there’s not really any brand of open, expansive or attacking football (I believe this is what the Dons chairman is after?). But he obviously has managed to grind out enough results to move us slightly forward. Missing top 6 last season from the position we were in with a number of games left was a disappointment. Likewise, not making a cup final from 2 semis (given opponents of Livi and St.J), albeit there’s some credit for getting to that position in the first place. 

There have been long winless runs last season early on, and this season (11 games pre-Christmas). If this had been a couple of months ago there’s no chance Dons would be going for him. It’s a funny game. 

At times his tactics, formations are found wanting and has sometimes been slow/stubborn to evolve and change. Long ball for the 1st half of season was utter gash and has been apparent in the past as well. Has acknowledged being overly negative in approach and vowed to change, but that change isn’t particularly obvious to me anyway. 

It’s not uncommon for us to go entire games with 0-2 shots on target. Other times we’ll come away from games with lots of shots on/off target but nothing to show for it - mainly because the chances being created are garbage. He’s generally struggled to have us as any sort of potent side in the final 3rd. I often feel as if we’ve no real game plan going forward other than Tanser slinging in crosses from the left (to small strikers). 

Regardless of any shortcomings, he has taken Saints forward and I’m sad to see him go. Will be interesting to see what he does with a bigger budget and players who should be of a higher calibre. 

I hope he does well as it would be disappointing to see him dumped out of a job. Look after him Dandies! 

28 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd take less.

I'd feel sorry for St Mirren if he gets the job, I don't think Brown is ready to be a manager.

Would be worse than Dundee appointing McGhee. 

Think it confirms how out of touch our board are with its fanbase. Ive hardly seen one fan who actually wants him. They might as well go the whole hog and appoint popcorn teeth as his No2

16 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Would be worse than Dundee appointing McGhee. 

Think it confirms how out of touch our board are with its fanbase. Ive hardly seen one fan who actually wants him. They might as well go the whole hog and appoint popcorn teeth as his No2

Who is popcorn teeth? Tried googling it but just got a bunch dentist websites

16 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Nah, Smith bottled it by changing the 4-3-3 that had got us on the brink of the title to a 4-4-2 because we only needed a draw.

You could possibly trace the goalie incident back to 0-0 draw at pittodrie where mccoist effectively ended snelders career - he was never the same fearless keeper after that ; i sat a few rows back from goals at ibrox , and even in 2nd half michael watt was physically shaking waiting for a corner - dave robertson was shouting at him to get it together- the noise was deafening in the stadium

agree tho on the 4-3-3 change - ironically our best chance was presented to van de ven ( defensive mid ) whos shot was a feeble pass back at goram - who replaced willem van der ark in the line up

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

You could possibly trace the goalie incident back to 0-0 draw at pittodrie where mccoist effectively ended snelders career - he was never the same fearless keeper after that ; i sat a few rows back from goals at ibrox , and even in 2nd half michael watt was physically shaking waiting for a corner - dave robertson was shouting at him to get it together- the noise was deafening in the stadium

agree tho on the 4-3-3 change - ironically our best chance was presented to van de ven ( defensive mid ) whos shot was a feeble pass back at goram - who replaced willem van der ark in the line up

Think it would have been Chris Woods in goals for Rangers. 

19 minutes ago, slasher said:

Anyone else think they've appointed a silver McInnes? Goodwin was probably top of the list of candidates I saw...... but that's probably the worst list of candidates I've seen for a job of that standing ever! 

Was your ex manager Delia on it 👍