Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 36 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

Looks like Ukraine's "home" in Poland will be Lodz.

While not confirmed officially yet, Ukraine manager name dropped it in his press conference in Slovenia today, and a number of Polish media outlets are reporting it to be the case.

Nothing yet if that is all their home games, or just June.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/4/2022 at 7:51 PM, ger intae them said:

you’ve got a bee in yer bonnet about absolutely nothing. You are doing the same as young and leckie, create a story where there is none.

some folk might want to show support for Ukraine for 5 mins ……. let them crack on if that’s their thing, but there is no way anyone really wants to let them through the tie, why would they?

‘quite a few saying we should step aside’ ……. really?!

That's the start of the drip feed it means everything to Ukraine stuff. That tit chris mclaughlin with an article from the Ukraine training camp bigging up how important it is to them and that they are getting messages from the soldiers at the front saying they must do everything to win.Somebody said i have a bee in my bonnet about this... too f.. king right i have. This stuff creates a very unhealthy atmosphere around this game,and if we don't match their will to win then we will lose. I really am starting to feel very uncomfortable about this match. 

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

That's the start of the drip feed it means everything to Ukraine stuff. That tit chris mclaughlin with an article from the Ukraine training camp bigging up how important it is to them and that they are getting messages from the soldiers at the front saying they must do everything to win.Somebody said i have a bee in my bonnet about this... too f.. king right i have. This stuff creates a very unhealthy atmosphere around this game,and if we don't match their will to win then we will lose. I really am starting to feel very uncomfortable about this match. 

You fret way too much.

Media talk never won anything in sport. If I recall it was precisely the same with Frank Bruno about what it would mean to the country when he fought for the world title and what happened? He lost the first few times he had a crack at the title. Andy Murray was exactly the same and it took him a few attempts to win his first slam despite how much the press bigged things up. Look at England every time the World Cup comes around - the media talks them up yet they never win.

Chill.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You fret way too much.

Media talk never won anything in sport. If I recall it was precisely the same with Frank Bruno about what it would mean to the country when he fought for the world title and what happened? He lost the first few times he had a crack at the title. Andy Murray was exactly the same and it took him a few attempts to win his first slam despite how much the press bigged things up. Look at England every time the World Cup comes around - the media talks them up yet they never win.

Chill.

The number of years i have followed Scotland home and away tends to instill you with a certain nervousness when the big moments come along. Certainly hope you are right and that we are totally focussed on what we need to do... WIN for themselves and for the supporters. That's what matters. Nothing else should be in their heads. 

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

The number of years i have followed Scotland home and away tends to instill you with a certain nervousness when the big moments come along. Certainly hope you are right and that we are totally focussed on what we need to do... WIN for themselves and for the supporters. That's what matters. Nothing else should be in their heads. 

Win or lose it is all decided on the pitch - not in newspapers or the media.

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It certainly should be, no doubt about it. Just worried that it gets into our players heads about how much it means to Ukraine. Then again, it will be up to Clarke and his staff to ensure we play to WIN.. nothing else will do. CMON SCOTLAND. 

3 minutes ago, thesaint said:

It certainly should be, no doubt about it. Just worried that it gets into our players heads about how much it means to Ukraine. Then again, it will be up to Clarke and his staff to ensure we play to WIN.. nothing else will do. CMON SCOTLAND. 

Like I said before, I feel for the people of Ukraine, but fuck their football team and their staff. Get tore right fuckin in tae them !!! Alba Gu Brath...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Is it though?  To deny the impact of psychology on any sporting event is ignorant in the extreme 🙄  I can't shake the feeling we're on a fuckin hiding to nothing in this political bullshit!

17 minutes ago, todd said:

Is it though?  To deny the impact of psychology on any sporting event is ignorant in the extreme 🙄  I can't shake the feeling we're on a fuckin hiding to nothing in this political bullshit!

It is all won on the pitch - unless you are mentally weak. And if we are we lose. Still it is decided on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is all won on the pitch - unless you are mentally weak. And if we are we lose. Still it is decided on the pitch.

Don't think our players are mentally weak but they may be mentally weakened by the constant barage from the right on brigade.

16 minutes ago, todd said:

Don't think our players are mentally weak but they may be mentally weakened by the constant barage from the right on brigade.

No I do not buy that. And I cannot believe people here are even suggesting such a thing. 

We will have eleven players on that pitch who have never been to a World Cup before who will not be giving up on their dream just because of random newspaper reports.

15 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You fret way too much.

Chill.

Mary Decker v Zola Budd …

Argentina v England ‘86 - malvinas/falklands press frenzy

liverpool after heysel and hillsborough

12 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Mary Decker v Zola Budd …

Argentina v England ‘86 - malvinas/falklands press frenzy

liverpool after heysel and hillsborough

But would they have won / lost without the media attention? A hypothetical, but it could be they were always going to lose.

J

So - On 1st June everyone, everywhere (apart from us) will be cheering on Ukraine ?

Does that make us Rangers then ? 😬

33 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

But would they have won / lost without the media attention? A hypothetical, but it could be they were always going to lose.

J

Of course. Like I said we could go on forever about press trying to influence/support a cause and it led to nothing. Frank Bruno was long their darling and fell short how many times before finally winning? Andy Murray got the same backing (and barracking as well) and it took him several tries before clinching a slam. Every World Cup there is a frenzied campaign to back England and they haven't won it in over 50 years. I seem to remember them being a cheer leader for Jimmy White and he never won the world title. The list is endless. The media can and do print whatever they want but it is valueless soundbytes.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Of course. Like I said we could go on forever about press trying to influence/support a cause and it led to nothing. Frank Bruno was long their darling and fell short how many times before finally winning? Andy Murray got the same backing (and barracking as well) and it took him several tries before clinching a slam. Every World Cup there is a frenzied campaign to back England and they haven't won it in over 50 years. I seem to remember them being a cheer leader for Jimmy White and he never won the world title. The list is endless. The media can and do print whatever they want but it is valueless soundbytes.

Maybe,but i think it's a different sort of narrative with the Ukraine game.Not a good mindset to go into a sporting contest.

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

Maybe,but i think it's a different sort of narrative with the Ukraine game.Not a good mindset to go into a sporting contest.

The mindset of our players are that they have worked for years to get so close to a World Cup Finals tournament. They ain't chucking the match or bottling it because a few fruitloop newspaper reports.

12 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The mindset of our players are that they have worked for years to get so close to a World Cup Finals tournament. They ain't chucking the match or bottling it because a few fruitloop newspaper reports.

It better be. 

On 5/7/2022 at 8:28 PM, todd said:

So Ukraine will win every match they play until Russia withdraws? Just because Ukraine are desperate to win the match doesn’t mean they will. 

Our players need to forget all about the situation in Ukraine and treat it like any other football match. 

50 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

So Ukraine will win every match they play until Russia withdraws? Just because Ukraine are desperate to win the match doesn’t mean they will. 

Our players need to forget all about the situation in Ukraine and treat it like any other football match. 

That's the whole point of the post. Our players need to forget all this sympathy stuff when it comes to football. You can't be going into a crucial game like this with anything else in your mind apart from winning the game. Just hope the media push that point instead of talking about soldiers in Ukraine writing to their players pleading for them to win it for them. It obviously shouldn't matter what the media say, but some people are easily influenced. You only have to look at the rise of that woke shit to see that's the case. We will need to hope that Clarke and his staff get the players fired up. In all honesty it should be a given. 

35 minutes ago, thesaint said:

That's the whole point of the post. Our players need to forget all this sympathy stuff when it comes to football. You can't be going into a crucial game like this with anything else in your mind apart from winning the game. Just hope the media push that point instead of talking about soldiers in Ukraine writing to their players pleading for them to win it for them. It obviously shouldn't matter what the media say, but some people are easily influenced. You only have to look at the rise of that woke shit to see that's the case. We will need to hope that Clarke and his staff get the players fired up. In all honesty it should be a given. 

Do you need some anti-anxiety pills? 

Has the ref been announced?  The two variables that we can’t control are how much Ukraine are up for it and the ref.  The ref is the one that concerns me….  Let’s just say we have been subject to more than one dubious decision that could be interpreted as leading to an outcome that would please FIFA.

35 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Has the ref been announced?  The two variables that we can’t control are how much Ukraine are up for it and the ref.  The ref is the one that concerns me….  Let’s just say we have been subject to more than one dubious decision that could be interpreted as leading to an outcome that would please FIFA.

I doubt they'll be any dodgy referee decisions with VAR.

To be honest we've had a good bit of fortune with VAR. 

46 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Never thought I'd say this. Ahll huv Bobby Madden in charge.. 🙂